Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2008, 01:30   #1

Thumbs up Morgan 462

hi,
I've seen a 1981 46ft Morgan CC ketch which I'd like to purchase. It is a two owner boat and in good shape. I would like to use the boat for world cruising. Anybody familiar with this vessel and willing to forward comments?
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 05:41   #2

Boat: B24
See: http://libertysails.com Ty is a good guy and his wife has published a couple of books on cruising, both retired naval officers and transatlantic with their 461 (similar, but I don’t know the actual differences with the 462…), see their contact info for email… their boat is spotless and shows like new, so as always it is heavily boat dependent…

I don’t know the Morgan series very well, but for an opposite point of view see: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/morgan_462_ketch.htm for a decidedly uncomplimentary assessment.
Old 23-04-2008, 10:10   #3

Larry, thanks a lot! I've seen the Liberty website before but couldn't find her again. The general survey I read also before approaching the offered Morgan. The boat comes with a recent survey initiated by a potential buyer so I guess it may be more fair. It is stating nothing serious in comparison with the posted general review.
There is a small confusion between 461 and 462 but the offered vessel is the same design as the Liberty before modified.
Thanks again,
Mike
Old 23-04-2008, 10:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
If I recall, the 461 was pre-1980, 462 is 1980 and newer.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 05:12   #5

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Got rid of [sounds like a bad thing,its not] a 41 Morgan Classic to a couple who are going to sail around the world. Those boats can do it. It was just too big for what I do. I'm sure a 46' has the structual integrity and comfort you seek.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 08:55   #6

You're right it is a 462. I like this design. It is roomy for 46ft boat and can easy accommodate up to ten people. Not that I want to do this all the time but when you are living long term aboard you'll be appreciative for having this room. You are carrying all your belongings with you and this requires storage.
I'm a little bit unsure in keeping the ketch rig or making a sloop. Easy sail handling versus spacious aft deck. Room for solar panels, fishing, sitting at the stern. However now a days with all these reefing systems it should be possible to handle a bigger main short handed. A center cockpit supports this.
The survey found three small 2,5" gel coat blisters. I'd be grateful to get some comments on this issue.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:53   #7
CLOD

Boat: none
Tallboy

Everything you read around blisters is that they are a fact but not always an issue. I'm sure you can find more on this with a search.

I have also been looking at the Morgan 461/462s so am interested in whether you finally bought one and what you ended up paying as the asking prices seem way off from "book" values.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:23   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’d reiterate Larry’s advice to view David Pascoe’s review of the M462 at:
Boat Review by David Pascoe - Morgan 462 Ketch

"We've never been impressed with much of the Morgan line of boats, but the 462 is something of an exception in an otherwise undistinguished history. The 462 is a big, clunky, center cockpit ketch (also available as a sloop) that, unlike the rest of the Morgan series, is fairly heavily built at 30,000 lbs. A weight-to-length ratio of 2:3 (converting length in feet x 1000) is moderately heavy in our book..."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:01   #9
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy View Post
The survey found three small 2,5" gel coat blisters. I'd be grateful to get some comments on this issue.
Three? Sounds like nothing to be worried about. Repair them or leave them. Some experts say that it isn't worth repairing them. Others say that repairing them is prone to failure, but with only three what is the big deal?

I have always liked the 462 including the look of it. Morgan has produced some ugly boats, but in my opinion, this is not one of them.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 20:51   #10

Boat: Morgan, 462, 46, Chieftain
I believe that the Morgan 461 was originally intended for the charter trade and was a sloop/cutter. The Morgan 462 is the ketch version and was marketed to private cruisers. I recently purchased a 462, now named "The Chieftain", moored in Tacoma WA. I often single hand, and find it a solid, stable boat that is easily handled. The biggest challenge I've had, is getting it along side a dock, single-handed when there's wind or current, and getting it to back in a straight line.

~~~~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~~
Rich.
Rich Plumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 22:24   #11

I too recently purchased a Morgan 462 and have found her very sound in the short cruising experience to date - Cape Cod to South Florida. Reversing to port is completely impossible unless the current or wind assist you by chance or otherwise. The offset shaft for easier removal was clearly not thought through very well. It is entertaining for others to watch. On the plus side, I have found the strong starboard kick can be put to good use in docking once you are aware that this is all you can achieve! Just have to be careful not to get into situations which you physically cannot get out of.
jeanofarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 22:33   #12

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
We have one here at the Marina lovely boat they sail it alot to the islands even has a bathtub lol.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 07:31   #13

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
I'm Happy with Mine

When I was searching for my "blue-water" boat, I was honest with myself in acknowledging that my experience level was low, I had only owned a 30 ft. IORF
fin-keel and i needed help.

I was somehow guided (cosmic?) to an honest yachtbroker (they DO exist!) and found a Morgan 462 loaded that had been purchased to circumnavigate South America. Being ignorant, and fully realizing my severe lack of knowledge, I figured if it can round the Horn and still look solid, it must be good.

I asked the broker, "do you know a surveyor who is good?" ( i was "fresh meat")
and of course his "friend was available. The guy ended up doing a great job, arguing with the broker and making him do all kinds of work. This was after I agreed to pay the asking price, 105,000 US, only if "all systems were operational." The owner ended up putting twenty grand into the boat. The main seams in the main cabin had sprung loose and had to be re-taped.

(People considering vessel purchase should realize a larger saloon such as the 462 CC has is great at anchor, where you spend 90% of your time, but bulkheads give torsional stiffness in "square seas.") The 462 has handholds so one can navigate the vessel from stem to stern without being smashed against the bulkhead, and there are few , if any sharp edges.)

The boat is very difficult to reverse, only in windy or current conditions. It can carefully be backed straight with patience. (The offset shaft is handy, I just pulled my shaft and did not have to pull the rudder.) In adverse conditions, I station crew at the pulpit ready to drop anchor, WHEN I AM BACKING OUT THE SLIP!!) The BATHTUB makes a good hanging locker, which my boat does not have.

The hull has 2&1/2 inches of solid fiberglass at the water line. The rigging is quite stout and I sleep like a baby on stormy nights in my queen size tempurpedic mattress in the masters cabin, even if I am standing on the turn of the bilge.

Everybody will tell you they love the boat they have. The 462 is much more than a "dockside condo." It takes me anywhere anybody else can go with under 5 foot draft. When I am aground (yes, I've been there too, just like you) I don't bite my nails or weep, know all that may be damaged is the paint.

Tall Boy- you will only bump your head at one spot only, the step down from the chart table to the companionway aft. There is 6 & 1/2 feet everywhere else

Tall Boy PM me if you have any other questions
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 05:12   #14

I am very satisfied with mine.

It is a heavy, big, sturdy sailboat.
I live aboard, and itdoesn't rocks or move unconfortably; and in bad seas the boat still rides softly; on the moorings is stable and at a dock is as living in a Condo; though I preffer the buoy or anchor.

Plenty of room all aroud, closets, beds, table, galey, coockpit, all of them roomy; 6-1/2' ceilings.

The engine room (Not just a compartment) it fits a 7.5 Onan diesel Generator that runs two central AC of 24 and 8 KBTU, sharing space with the Perkings 4150 (52-70 hp), water heater, refrigerator and freezer compresors, the electric distribution, is a spacious room, under the center cockpit, as big as it.

There is espace for washer and dryer, freezer and refrigerator, microwave, convection oven, stove with oven, and still you can have in the counters cofee maker, liquidifier and other appliances. It is a roomy boat.

It is also very spacious outside, in the stern you can accomodate sitting for 6 and enjoy a supernice ride, and another 6 can be sunbathing in the front while taking a nap. Still you can fit 6 confortably in the centercockpit.
I have been with 18 family members in a weekend in Bocachita key FL; 8 slept in the docked boat and 10 in tents ashore, I can send you pictures of the party.

Water tank and diesel tank are huge, I myself alone have 3 weeks of water taking long showers and washing dishes, and runing the heads with fresh water.

I am loving it, thick hulls, no worries, strong engine, and all the amenities.

I recommend this boat for new owners that are not experienced sailors, easy handling, slow movement, you have time to rethink every move while sailing. Only racers will not like the boat; but liveaboards, cruisers, scubadivers and charters as well as base boat for sports, dinguies, and enjoying water around this mother shipp is great.

Rod
rlequerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 08:59   #15

Boat: Morgan 462
Re: Morgan 462

Hey, nice to find some other Morgan 462 owners. I have been corresponding with Ty of SV-Liberty and Skip of the Flying Pig since I took possession of my 462 last April. Long term plan is a total refit, but for now, I have been scrubbing the bilges and pulling old stuff off. Getting the engine room ready for new paint and a new Yanmar and Onan genset. Anyone in the Mass are of Buzzards Bay?

Happy Sailing!
SV-Sable is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan