Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 00:32   #46

Thx Tom, you have rights. If we are speeking about circumnavigation the safety, seaworthy, strong, stabil are the most important things on my mind.
Krisztian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 01:05   #47

Re: Want buy seaworthy boat for circumnavigation

I think it is also important to have a protected propeller and rudder, a stable hull and a lot of space inside.

Morgans are cheap / lot of boat for the money. So you have more money for refit and others.
tom1263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 03:32   #48

Boat: Bristol 27

Here's another boat with an aft cabin, two heads, 12.5' beam, AND performance. There are several of these for sale in Europe on Yachtworld:

1984 Westerly Corsair sailboat for sale in Maryland
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 06:01   #49

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1263 View Post

(...) a circumnavigation (...)

And the Morgan OI 41 (over 1300 units build) is one of the most popular production boats of this size ever built. The success was not in vain ...
Perhaps if you know of any that circumnavigated you could point links to the OP.

This normally helps track all / any regular issues that may crop up in a design.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 06:26   #50

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"

One of the latest contributors recommended you look at a Westerly Corsair here in the states. I own one and can heartily endorse the recommendation. I would not sell mine for twice the asking price of the one recommended.
All the best,
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 06:38   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Perhaps if you know of any that circumnavigated you could point links to the OP.
I currently know about 4 people on circumnavigation, with an OL41. But only one has a corresponding website. See my previous post.

But its a good idea for a new thread....
Old 21-08-2013, 06:39   #52

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

The beneteau is a lot of boat for that money, but beware, when that pictures are taken?? the Rival 38 for me is a nice boat, the IO41 as other poster say is a pig to sail, big inside and spacious, lots of flaws , like the deck to hull joint + leaks, prone to blisters, if you found one in good condition is something to consider but dont expect sailing perfomance, another good option if you dont mind the 2 cabins idea is a Britton Chance 37 by Wauquiez, this boat sail like a dream upwind , downwind, beam reach , any point of sail....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 11:02   #53
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
There are also many other boats with long keel are slow and cumbersome by today's standards. But a circumnavigation is not a race.

And the Morgan OI 41 (over 1300 units build) is one of the most popular production boats of this size ever built. The success was not in vain ...
You are saying quantity makes it a good boat? Aside from her lack of performance, Neil Pride pointed out she has some inherent structural problems.

Like I said, far better choices out there and by no means should one dismiss full keel. My Slocum 37 is full keel. Th OI 41 was designed to be a floating condo with great charter appeal. If you want to sacrifice performance for dock side comfort the OP should go for it....

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 14:19   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
You are saying quantity makes it a good boat? Aside from her lack of performance, Neil Pride pointed out she has some inherent structural problems.
No, not really but sailing with a budget is always a compromise. And i say before, there are other boats like Formosa, Whitby, Peterson, Gulfstar, Irwin or others in that price range.

And yes a Morgan 41 OI, is a floating condo or a "cruising truck" that provides very well for cruising with alot of space, but it's not a performance racer. But the boat does what you want it to do.
Old 21-08-2013, 16:18   #55
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
No, not really but sailing with a budget is always a compromise. And i say before, there are other boats like Formosa, Whitby, Peterson, Gulfstar, Irwin or others in that price range.

And yes a Morgan 41 OI, is a floating condo or a "cruising truck" that provides very well for cruising with alot of space, but it's not a performance racer. But the boat does what you want it to do.
Aaa.. You mean...Float?

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 16:44   #56

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
No, it does NOT do what I want it to do: sail to windward when required, and with some speed, sail in very light air when I don't want to or can't run the engine. These factors are not the exclusive realm of racers... I've been cruising a long time and have had to sail long passages to windward and found lots of light air periods where I didn't want to motor. I was damn glad not to be in an OI!

Folks who own or just like designs that do not provide these abilities often say that they are not important. Those of us who actually do a lot of cruising miles think that they are.

YMMV

Jim
Old 21-08-2013, 18:57   #57

Boat: a sailing boat

IMHO light wind ability is worth having. There are many days when the wind is less than 10kts, sometimes way less, and sometimes for days on end.

If a design cannot be adjusted so that she will sail well in light winds, get ready for many days when you could be sailing but you will not.

Up to a point, this is up to your sail wardrobe and light wind sailing skills, but if the hull is a hydrodynamic pig, you may simply waste all and any money spend on those kites and folding props.

Some people get very frustrated when their boat stops. As if they were still living their shore lives.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 21:38   #58

I just saw this Out Island 36 for sale on Craig's list in South Florida for $25k - MORGAN Out Island 36 Sailboat REDUCED
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 20:50   #59

I don't have a lot of cruising miles, but last Thursday night, I was working as crew on a 1984 Morgan OI 416, sailing from Hampton VA to the BVI, and we couldn't make any headway, took a beating from a storm, and the boat started breaking up. Our crew was taken off by the USCG chopper just before the ship sank. I will never again go to sea in a Morgan OI.
Bruce Moore 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 15:43   #60

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island "Sugar Bear"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisztian View Post
I'm looking for a Morgan Out Island 416 or Allied Mistress 39. Want to start circumnavigation. If you know one, please don't hesitate inform me!
Many will tell you the Morgen is not a blue water cruiser. I have a 1973 415 that has well over 100,000 miles cruising the Pacific from Canada and US to points as far south as Japan. Been through a hurricane, many tropical storms and still as good as new. What you probibly know, she is great for sailing the trade winds so plot your coarse accordingly.

alibaba.e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, morgan, navigation, paracelle, seaworthy