Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2017, 14:50   #1

Baja Naval

Have searched the threads so don't scold me. All are several years old. Seems the trend was that this yard had been raising prices until they were almost on par with SoCal. Surprising given the improvement in the exchange rate in recent years.
Anyone have updated experience with work done in this yard or others over the border?
Thanks!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 14:59   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Baja Naval

baja naval is in direct competition with san diego boat yards and is therefore more expensive than somewhere else in mexico.
they do good work if you stay to watch.
\ i have seen bill padding and i have seen bad as well as good work out of this yard. issue is--mostly transients therefore doesn t matter. your deal is determinant upon your willingness to continuously check work as it is done. same all over.
goodluck.
on the up side, many good folks are in ensenada at present, so you might have decent company. they are in other marinas.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 16:33   #3

Good observation Zee! Any thoughts on good yards with stainless and canvas fabricators further south or in Guaymas, La Paz or Rocky Point or...?
Old 13-08-2017, 17:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Good observation Zee! Any thoughts on good yards with stainless and canvas fabricators further south or in Guaymas, La Paz or Rocky Point or...?
good rule of thumb is farther away from usa better the prices.

sail work--ullman sails puerto vallarta

i donot do soc.
i do mexico. big difference.
farthest north i prefer to be is mazatlan, and that is under duress. h ah ah aha
wood work--colimilla, carpenter john.
engines joluco luis diaz. has machine shop is an engineer and is maestro. excellent and cannot praise him enough. electricals chebio in cihuatlan. the best.\injector pump javier in casimira castillo . best. hardly costs anything. these 3 are the very best.
you can find as good in mazatlan when not hiring the pimp, aka business owner. the whores do excellent work without the pimp fees. is quite a nice intricate systemless here.
haulout---debate able as some folks get better deals from same folks.
i prefer to use commercial yards deemed too rough for yotties. hahahahaha i have a serious ketch. not a yacht.
i have a friend in mazatlan who guides me to finding workers., he not trust i wont use. good folks.
every city has a wonderful welder and some have bronze workers. i prefer those but hard to find. i found a stainless man here did my new fuel tank of stainless... was 450 usd. he has hands that look the part of a welder. first interviewed individual had clean soft hands. oops. not a welder.
if the workers are not affiliated with a yard they are better and cheaper than most affiliated with boatyards. chances are these non boat yard workers were shrimpers in their past lives as were javier, chebio, and luiz diaz, my barra de navidad boat heart surgeons.
the welder of my tank knew what i needed without much ado and chitchat was perfect. is perfect/
if the worker only speaks english , RUN AWAY!!
there is a yard in banderas bay can be negotiated into cheepohood for haulouts, but i use different resources.
if you bring all your own parts and do your own work, the cheapest haul is san blas, metanchen bay. has a bar crossing and can be interesting i have not been there but friends go there frequently. is mosquito hell. need screens.
pm me for specificker stuffies.
there is someone to talk with at a pricey yard for good deal and stainless work. i donot know who does his canvas. he ius an excellent welder and most reasonable. so there is a choice.
* be wary of pv sails* he may or may not do good work. unreliable quality.
i understand luis in la cruz de huanacastle is off the sauce and doing good work. if so, use him. i can vouch
is intricate if you wish to restore a boat or major refit it for less than needed in usa or other fleeceburg locales
unfortunately the best year round rates are here in mazatlan marina.
bring a booster antenna.
Old 13-08-2017, 17:50   #5

Zee, are there good stainless and canvas fabricators there in Mazatlan? How about slip availability? How are you staying cool right now.....?
Looks like a few islands off your coast to visit. Any other ares folks go visit before moving on?
Thanks!
Old 13-08-2017, 17:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Zee, are there good stainless and canvas fabricators there in Mazatlan? How about slip availability? How are you staying cool right now.....?
Looks like a few islands off your coast to visit. Any other ares folks go visit before moving on?
Thanks!
this is a hub. many use the summer rates contract to leave boat here n runaway. i stay n fix.
there are many slips available. bring booster antenna.
long term here is 36 cts per ft per day per month. not bad summer contract is 24 cts.
there is all but sailmaker here within mazatlan.
Old 13-08-2017, 18:29   #7

oh yeah air cond 5000 btu about 200usd window unit. works great. some use more btu some use other alternatives. water under boat is only 100 f in peak of hot summer, about sept or so. when it is HOT here.

Tags
baja