Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 02:02   #1

Boat: 1981 Vagabond 47
River body from Great Lakes to Mississippi River.

I have a couple boats that I'm interested in that are in the Great Lakes. I live in Houston. Is there a navigable river body connecting from Great Lakes to Mississippi River.
dennymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 03:27   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: River body from Great Lakes to Mississippi River.

I'm pretty sure what you're looking for is the Chicago Ship Canal into the Chicago River/ Des Plaines and on from there. It's part of the Great Loop.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 06:03   #3

Google the "Great Loop". There is a route from Lake Michigan to the Gulf though only a small portion is on the Mississippi.

It's a fun trip and doable in most boats. Only real limitation would be you need about a 250mile range (350 would be better).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 06:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Public Interactive Map - America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:56   #5

Went to the link for "The Great Loop". Wow, I never knew about this.

I'd have to remove the mast. I'm looking at a large sailboat. Think this may not happen though. Don't know yet.

Thanks everyone for the help. You guys are great.
Old 19-05-2017, 12:12   #6

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

The Illinois river will take you to umr mm 220 at Grafton, Illinois. It's about 330 miles from Lake Michigan to Grafton, it's at the confluence of the Mississippi and Illinois rivers. Pretty easy trip, I've done it a couple of times. From Grafton you have 2 choices go to the Ohio or continue on the Mississippi. The problem of going done the Mississippi is lack of marinas and fuel. You can plan stops and call for a delivery of fuel but they'll probably not deliver less than 200 gallons. The other option is to carry fuel cans and walk into towns and purchase fuel. Some people choose this route there are no locks on the mis after St. Louis. If you go up the Ohio and then head south on the Tennessee river, TennTom and Black Warrior rivers to Mobile Bay and the gulf, plenty of marinas on this route. As a previous poster said having a 350 mile range is needed to be able to reach fuel stops. I'am sure I've left some things out but depending on the boat it's very doable and it's a very enjoyable cruise.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:13   #7

How much can be sailed from Chicago to the Gulf. ie how often would I need to unstep mast and restep and where?
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievardon View Post
How much can be sailed from Chicago to the Gulf. ie how often would I need to unstep mast and restep and where?
Depends how high the mast is.

Thru Chicago, you need to get under a 20' bridge. After that it's mostly 50' or higher. (Keep in mind river levels go up and down, so it varies).

But not many places to step a mast until you get down to Kentucky Lakes unless you want to hire a crane to come down to the riverside and do it yourself.

As far as sailing, don't count on much. The rivers are narrow, wind back and forth, there are shallows, commercial traffic has right of way, locks, etc... You might unroll the genny occasionally but otherwise, it's just not worth the trouble for most of the trip.
Old 19-05-2017, 14:11   #9

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

20' clearance on bridge:

If my calculations are correct (anyone feel free to double check my geometry is rusty) you may be able to use boat balls and yield it over 70 degrees (30 degrees off water line) and maybe clear. That is pretty far over.
Not really sure
CaptJamesCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 21:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievardon View Post
None can be sailed. Drop the mast near Chicago, put it back up when you hit the Gulf.

Barge setups on the Mississippi are 6 across and 7 deep pushed by 100,000hp tugs putting out on a twisty river with a current flowing up to 8 knots in sections.

Even if you're going to Texas, you'd be better off going to Mobile down the Tenn-Tom as it is friendly and enjoyable with marinas for food and fuel - the opposite of the Mississippi.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 22:03   #11

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Another interesting source of "loop" info is captain john.
Once around is not enough.
Good luck !
Old 21-05-2017, 22:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
The Illinois river will take you to umr mm 220 at Grafton, Illinois. It's about 330 miles from Lake Michigan to Grafton, it's at the confluence of the Mississippi and Illinois rivers. Pretty easy trip, I've done it a couple of times. From Grafton you have 2 choices go to the Ohio or continue on the Mississippi. The problem of going done the Mississippi is lack of marinas and fuel. You can plan stops and call for a delivery of fuel but they'll probably not deliver less than 200 gallons. The other option is to carry fuel cans and walk into towns and purchase fuel. Some people choose this route there are no locks on the mis after St. Louis. If you go up the Ohio and then head south on the Tennessee river, TennTom and Black Warrior rivers to Mobile Bay and the gulf, plenty of marinas on this route. As a previous poster said having a 350 mile range is needed to be able to reach fuel stops. I'am sure I've left some things out but depending on the boat it's very doable and it's a very enjoyable cruise.

I read that Alton Marina is a good stop just past Grafton. I'm taking in as much info as I can and if I end up doing this I will refer back to this thread. Thanks for this good info.
Old 21-05-2017, 22:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSon View Post
None can be sailed. Drop the mast near Chicago, put it back up when you hit the Gulf.

Barge setups on the Mississippi are 6 across and 7 deep pushed by 100,000hp tugs putting out on a twisty river with a current flowing up to 8 knots in sections.

Even if you're going to Texas, you'd be better off going to Mobile down the Tenn-Tom as it is friendly and enjoyable with marinas for food and fuel - the opposite of the Mississippi.
Yep. If I have to do this I'll stay off the Might Miss-Sipp.
Old 22-05-2017, 05:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooksFraming View Post
20' clearance on bridge:

If my calculations are correct (anyone feel free to double check my geometry is rusty) you may be able to use boat balls and yield it over 70 degrees (30 degrees off water line) and maybe clear. That is pretty far over.
Not really sure
The calculation depends on the height of the mast but you can't forget the width of the opening under the bridge. It's a relatively narrow channel, so I wouldn't suggest it.
Old 22-05-2017, 05:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymusic View Post
I read that Alton Marina is a good stop just past Grafton. I'm taking in as much info as I can and if I end up doing this I will refer back to this thread. Thanks for this good info.
Alton is nice and you can stop at Hoppies just south of St. Louis to top up on fuel. Another option if you aren't running diesel is to go up the Kaskaskia River about 8-10miles to top up on Gas (I don't believe they have diesel but it's been a while).

Tags
great lakes, mississippi