Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 14:07   #1

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Mugging in Cartagena

A British and an Asian cruiser were robbed today in broad day light. They had stepped out of the yard for lunch. The restaurant is less than a quarter mile from the yard. And being a port area, there are trucks parked on both sides of the road. While returning back, two very simple looking 20 year olds appeared at the corner and demanded money and valuables. They had a switchblade each.

The other day they robbed a trucker (a local Colombian) because he was spotted leaving an ATM.

After sunset its strictly no go. I was returning from the local shop after having bought two beers. some guys stopped me too.
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 14:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mugging in Cartagena

Namaste BhaiJaan...
How's the adventure going.. hope you were not harmed.. and are still enjoying yourself..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 15:27   #3

Re: Mugging in Cartagena

Well I guess that could happen in your hometown. We spent quite a bit of time there and loved it, went out every nite and found it very safe, will be going back.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 15:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Namaste BhaiJaan...
How's the adventure going.. hope you were not harmed.. and are still enjoying yourself..

Hello Boatman! yes cruising is fun. enjoying here.
Old 15-03-2016, 15:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well I guess that could happen in your hometown. .
NO! this won't happen in India. We are much advanced. Knife mugging is for rookies. In india they will put you in a tight situation. you will buy your way out. later, if you do go to cops - they will say " well you should have come to us, why did you pay?" :-D
Old 15-03-2016, 15:52   #6

Boat: Sailboat

which boat yard? Quite a bit South of the city? Ferroalquimar?
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 16:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
NO! this won't happen in India. We are much advanced. Knife mugging is for rookies. In india they will put you in a tight situation. you will buy your way out. later, if you do go to cops - they will say " well you should have come to us, why did you pay?" :-D
Too funny
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 16:53   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

I keep my boat in Richmond, the murder capitol of California.
Richmond is so rough that the people who live there go to Oakland for vacation!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 17:45   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well I guess that could happen in your hometown. We spent quite a bit of time there and loved it, went out every nite and found it very safe, will be going back.
HUH??? I am 63. I have lived in 6 homes in two states. Walked the streets in Cleveland, Detroit, Grand Rapids, San Fran, Seattle, Miami, New York, and many small towns in many states. I, We have never been mugged. It never crossed our minds. This is the way it should be & I am sorry that anyone has to live their lives with a probable expectation of robbery or worse. That a country, society tolerates lawless behavior is all it takes to guarantee it. As much as we look forward to the adventure of cruising starting this spring, it is not without a feeling of vulnerability and apprehension.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 17:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's what happens when you move from a privileged white area.. you step into the real world..
I don't wander Phillipsburg expecting to be mugged.. but I'm aware it can happen.. and to be honest if you think America is like you reckon.. brush the sand out of your hair and visit some inner cities.
PS.. and I've lived in Pakistan, India, Spain, Portugal and a few other countries around the world and never been mugged.. and I'm 68 this year.. but I must confess New Jersey had me twitchy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 10:43   #11

I have found that if you don't look like a victim, you won't be. Be aware of your surroundings, be aware of who's watching you like you might be a potential victim. These kinds of scum are not brave or even usually all that tough or well armed. They are looking for weakness, don't show any. Head up, eye's alert and moving over 360 degrees, situational awareness!! Then just stay out of the bad area's, most people don't have a clue on how to protect themselves or their loved one's in a life threatening situations, so you must be aware of your own ability's and limitations and live accordingly. Kind of like sailing, I know my limitation's, but seek to learn and grow. My hope is to someday be able to sail my boat to her limitation's with my ability matching her's. I'm not there.....yet.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 10:58   #12
cruiser

...my friend who circumnavigated his nor'easter 32 speared a punk thuggish pirate who boarded his vessel trying to rob him there in carta-ghetto...like 3 yrs ago...

When it happened, the police took him to jail not for prosecution but for protection as the kid was local/indigenous to the area but known as a thug.

People in town wanted to vigilante revenge for the thuggish kid so when they let him outta jail he sailed direct to key west...then settled in marathon where I met him/he friended me. Too funny among the know it all/been everywhere sailors in our harbor he was the only one who'd been around the world???

He'd been in marathon 2yrs after the event when I met him, every time he gets drunk he keeps bringing it up...

I've seen enough third world countries serving Uncle Sam, so tired of third worlders and their primitive logic..lack of emotional maturity and corruption I can't see goin to third world countries...
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 11:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
...my friend who circumnavigated his nor'easter 32 speared a punk thuggish pirate who boarded his vessel trying to rob him there in carta-ghetto...like 3 yrs ago...

When it happened, the police took him to jail not for prosecution but for protection as the kid was local/indigenous to the area but known as a thug.

People in town wanted to vigilante revenge for the thuggish kid so when they let him outta jail he sailed direct to key west...then settled in marathon where I met him/he friended me. Too funny among the know it all/been everywhere sailors in our harbor he was the only one who'd been around the world???

He'd been in marathon 2yrs after the event when I met him, every time he gets drunk he keeps bringing it up...

I've seen enough third world countries serving Uncle Sam, so tired of third worlders and their primitive logic..lack of emotional maturity and corruption I can't see goin to third world countries...
Did said punk die? I hope so. I hear ya on the third world stuff.......but now I find a third world outside my front door. unlimited immigration has made our Nation a third world. Corruption at it's finest.
Thanks for your service brother!
Fair Winds
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 11:42   #14

Boat: Sandibar 35

I think the OP posted valid information on the area but see this thread going down the drain... Damn thirdworlders and immugrants!

FWIW the only time I've been robbed was by a local in London. Still like going back.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 11:54   #15

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I was just mugged $80,000, happened a year ago too, probably happen next tax season as well. Sigh.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartagena