Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 21:33   #1

Questions gemini under power.

Questions about gemini under power.

How fast do they cruise under motor and what is the mileage with the single center diesel with outdrive?
In heavy seas does the cruise speed slow much and does it have problems with cavitation?
Is this motor and outdrive very dependable?

Thanks Will
WillMcclard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:50   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Questions gemini under power.

First, in the right wind, the boat will sail faster than motoring.

Having said that, just cruising around and not pushing hard, usually get 5.5 knots at about 1500 rpm. Will get close to 7 knots running hard. Tides and currents can affect the actual SOG.

I have never noticed any cavitation, however might be possible with breaking waves astern. Also, you may need to slow the boat if you have seas on the nose.

I have owned the boat three and a half years. General maintenance issues only, fuel filters, belts, zincs. I did need to replace the fuel lift pump recently. The latch/lifting mechanism on the outdrive needs regular maintenance, grease/lube. I also had to replace the latch cable at one point.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 14:23   #3

Thanks Davy J,

My wife and I are trying to decide between a small trowler and cat for cruising Florida, The Keys, Bahamas and the ICW. We are getting up in years and do not want to have to sail. With a power boat my wife can get us to port even if I'm incapacitated. A cat that can motor well would work as well.

WILL
WillMcclard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 14:40   #4

Boat: C&C 34

Davy J,

This is off topic, but all of the pictures of the Gemini 105mc make it appear to awkward sitting at the helm and looking forward. Like you are always looking around a corner or sticking your head out the side of the cabin top.

Is this the way it is?

Thanks
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 15:10   #5

First to Will, the wife and I decided that if we have to "go slow" we might as well be able to go "for free" occasionally. A sailboat can do that, a trawler not so much. However, the boat is easy to sail, but if physical limitations are a concern, go trawler.

To Opie91, you can look directly through the forward cabin top window. However, most of the time, in good weather I actually sit on the starboard side and can see from there just fine. If the weather is not cooperating you can sit/stand under the hard top and see right through cabin top windshield.
Old 06-10-2017, 16:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
To Opie91, you can look directly through the forward cabin top window. However, most of the time, in good weather I actually sit on the starboard side and can see from there just fine. If the weather is not cooperating you can sit/stand under the hard top and see right through cabin top windshield.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:57   #7

I agree with most of the previous comments but will add my 2 cents having lived aboard and cruised extensively for around a year.

The weakness of the stern drive is that it is completely unprotected. I hit something off Nassau and it tore my drive off. Thankfully it is designed to be sacrificial so there was no hull damage.

The Captain has a decent view but everyone else in the cockpit has a poor view and I think it may have contributed to more sea sickness for my family. I'm one of those that thinks having a view of the horizon and my surroundings limits sea sickness. Just disregard this bit if you disagree with me.

I bought by 105 new and motored most of the time. I was in some pretty challenging conditions and never experience cavitation.

When I bought mine they did not come with bilge pumps because the factory believed they had "water tight" hulls. This whole belief system could get someone killed and after I started taking on water in rough seas, and had to manually pump water for hours, I immediately installed nice big bilge pumps in the boat when I got to my next destination. This episode scared the #$I& out of us.

My motor mounts failed after 7 months and had to be replaced.

Overall, I really enjoyed the 105... it was a great starter and we (2 adults and 2 kids) all lived quite comfortably. All boats have their weaknesses and it's important you know yours.

We just bought a PDQ 34 M/V as we found ourselves motoring most of the time so why not have a boat designed for motoring.

Best of luck.
JSLExplores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:33   #8

Question for you JSLE,

When I purchased my Gemini, I too was concerned about the lack of bilge pumps. So at the time, I purchased two automatic pumps, one for each hull. Unfortunately, to this day I have not installed them. Did you add additional thru-hull fittings for the pumps? How were the hoses routed out?

As for the sea sickness my wife claims Bonine is the answer............
Old 07-10-2017, 11:09   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
First, in the right wind, the boat will sail faster than motoring.

Having said that, just cruising around and not pushing hard, usually get 5.5 knots at about 1500 rpm. Will get close to 7 knots running hard. Tides and currents can affect the actual SOG.

I have never noticed any cavitation, however might be possible with breaking waves astern. Also, you may need to slow the boat if you have seas on the nose.

I have owned the boat three and a half years. General maintenance issues only, fuel filters, belts, zincs. I did need to replace the fuel lift pump recently. The latch/lifting mechanism on the outdrive needs regular maintenance, grease/lube. I also had to replace the latch cable at one point.
Sounds like a great testimonial. Not varnished with the typical my boat does 10knots.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 14:05   #10

Quote:
Question for you JSLE,

When I purchased my Gemini, I too was concerned about the lack of bilge pumps. So at the time, I purchased two automatic pumps, one for each hull. Unfortunately, to this day I have not installed them. Did you add additional thru-hull fittings for the pumps? How were the hoses routed out?

Yes, new thru-hulls were added in each hull. I can't remember how we routed the hoses. Sorry, it was 11 years ago.

I forgot to address the speed issue about motoring in rough water. We slowed in rough water to stop the pounding - which we found concerning. We also viewed the 105 as a coastal cruiser and we were fair weather cruisers and only got caught in a bad weather once during an overnight sail.

Cheers
JSLExplores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:40   #11

Quote:
Question for you JSLE,

We used to have a Gemini. I tee'd into the centerboard vent hose for the bilge pump discharges.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:32   #12

Quote:
I tee'd into the centerboard vent hose for the bilge pump discharges.
Yes, I have considered doing that. Wondered what, if any, the downsides would be. For example, those vents are there for a reason, and wondered if moist air from the centerboard pocket be forced back into the bilge?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48   #13

Possibly. Putting in a thru hull is probably a better option, but I've always had a personal problem of an aversion of putting holes in my boats. It takes me days to work up to just putting in a screw hole.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:27   #14

JSLExplores,

Thank you for your very candid input. Great information!!

Welcome to Cruisers Forum!

Tags
gemini