Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 19:59   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
San Diego to Blaine,WA = 1338nm

I thought I'd share my recent li'l trip up the west coast. I had planned to sell the boat in San Diego since I wanted a trawler and didn't want to do this trip. But, apparently San Diegians don't want older boats, no matter how good of shape they're in. So, before the weather changed and had to leave it unattended for the winter in SD, I made the quick decision to bring it back to the PNW.

And thanks to Paul for crewing for me on the way up. I planned that we would be motoring the whole way, which actually turned out that way. It seems we left at a fairly good time. We didn't get rained on the whole trip but did get pretty wet splashing through the windward waves. And as we approached Catalina I found out that my hatch seals had all dried out sitting in Calif for 3 years. As well, finding out the my mast boot wouldn't keep out water under a full deck wash over. IAW submarining. And also found out I need a cover for the windlass, and need to put in a bilge pump for the chain locker. (The base is at the waterline)

We got a lot of water in but was able to manage it. Only damage done was that I need to refinish the cabin sole now and reseal all the hatches, again. (Hatches last sealed 6-7 years ago, will need to check the date stamp on the pictures)

We left SD on the 12th of August and headed out on a fairly calm sea. By the time we got north of Encinitas the wind waves were hitting us on the nose pretty good. So, when we got in the lee of Catalina we stopped & I did some temporary seal jobs to the windlass, hatches and mast boot. At least to to keep the inflow of seawater down to a minimum. From there we headed north to Morro Bay to replenish fuel and get some rest. But on the way we got hit pretty good with more good size waves, some even coming over the dodger and bimini.

Once north of Pt. Conception the waves varied and at one point we had to slow the motor to keep from driving over the tops of steep wave, causing the bow to slam as we came down the far side.

Our next stop was Bodega Harbor for fuel and supplies. A sleepy little town. It was fairly calm when we left but still was head into the wind and waves.

Next stop was Brookings. A mostly small boat town with a CG that looks for any excuse to board you. So, before I could even get away from the fuel dock, they want to do a safety inspection. Well, of course they had to find something to write me up on. My flares were out of date by a couple months. So they made me go into town and buy new ones before I left or the warning would be a citation. Fortunately, we were able to find a nice small boat fisherman that would run me up to get some new flares. Thank you!!!

So on our way out we stopped by the USCG station and showed them the new flares. so if y'all ever stop in Brookings, beware, you going to get boarded!

On our way north again we still hit some good size rollers. Bad enough that they were closing the bars behind us. We wanted to go into Humbolt but it was late at night and being unfamiliar with the narrow channel, we passed it by. So we headed for Tillamook Bay, but the bar was closed by the time we got close. Which made it Grays Harbor our next stop.

It was a Sunday and the waves were long rollers. Once we hit the Oregon border the air became misty/wet fog. We got into Westport (Grays Harbor) fairly easy and headed for the fuel dock. But apparently they don't sell fuel on Sunday's. Which seemed a bit strange considering all the cattle and fishing trollers that run in/out of that place. So we had to dump the spare 20 gl we had on deck (in cans) into the tank and head back out, but only after getting a shower and meal. By this time our legs were pretty rubbery.

Onword and upward to Neah Bay for more fuel. We arrived to the entrance of the Strait of Juan De Fuca as the sun was coming up, and as the tide was changing to our favor. We stopped in Neah Bay and added 44 gl of fuel, which means I still had 16 gl left. But Neah is the best prices for fuel anywhere along the way (Indian reservation property).

Heading into the straits was the first we seen of sunny weather, and smooth water (no wind). So we comfortabley motored all the way to Roche Harbor and anchored the night. In the morning we headed out with the tide again and got into Blaine at 12:46. Where the boat now resides.

It was 1338 nm in 11 days.
Did two oil changes.
Burned 209 gl of fuel.
Ran the motor 218.6 hr.
Which averages 6.12 kt of speed. Not including the layover times.
6.4 miles per gl.
.958 gl per hr.
Not once was I able to sail. Although, I did have the storm jib up for a while, tiring to steady the boat in the rollers, which proved to be a waste of effort.

Not too bad for an older boat!
Old 11-09-2016, 20:42   #2

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria
Re: San Diego to Blaine,WA = 1338nm

Glad you had a safe bash north.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 20:50   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Good on ya for persevering. What kind of hatches were they, and where do you think they were leaking? I would probably have taken a roll of duct tape to them and the mast seal.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 22:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Good on ya for persevering. What kind of hatches were they, and where do you think they were leaking? I would probably have taken a roll of duct tape to them and the mast seal.
They are 37 YO Bomars. They were leaking a little everywhere. The caulking and the rubber seals. I just need to reseal them, again, and they'll be just fine (for a few more years).

All boats flex and twist, and over time the seals harden and lose their seal ability. That's one thing I hate about the new sailboats that are be produced these days. There is no easy way of accessing hatches and deck fittings to reseal after a few years of use and abuse. I feel sorry for new-boat owners.

BTW duct tape would have just been washed away with the waves we were getting. I should have taken pictures of my Genoa sheets that were laying up on the fore deck. They looked like I hit them with a pressure washer.
Old 11-09-2016, 23:29   #5

Hi delmarrey, just curious why your decision to switch from sail to power.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 00:19   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Glad you had a safe trip! And that's a good tip on the hatches on newer boats. Especially as folks new to boats don't usually know to look to everything with an eye towards maintenance.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:07   #7

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Good work, nothing worse than a long bash to weather, but all done for now. Look forward to hearing more about your cruising in the PNW.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-09-2016, 08:51   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Thanks for all the info. Where are you in Blaine? If you're in Blaine marina you passed us as you entered. We're the big ferro boat, the first sailboat you pass on the commercial dock (Gate 3).
Let me know if you're still in the area I can put some coffee on and you can tell us what not to do when we head south.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 16:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Thanks for all the info. Where are you in Blaine? If you're in Blaine marina you passed us as you entered. We're the big ferro boat, the first sailboat you pass on the commercial dock (Gate 3).
Let me know if you're still in the area I can put some coffee on and you can tell us what not to do when we head south.
Humm! I think I seen it in passing. I'm in R1. For the next 1-1/2 months I'll be mostly in the N. Seattle area with a few trips north to deal with some new property in Blaine. But I'll swing by when I'm up on, maybe, Thursday.

The trip South can be just as rough, it's just that you can use your sails, if you like, down wind. I still put 50 hrs on the motor going to SF. No guarantees. But I think late June thru early August is the most enjoyable.
Old 12-09-2016, 16:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Hi delmarrey, just curious why your decision to switch from sail to power.
I started out as a power boater working on PBRs/Swifts in Vietnam. Then shortly after returning to civilian life I took sailing lessons and tried my hand at sailing for a couple years until I got a deal (I thought) on a 38" Pacemaker. After rebuilding that and selling (break even), I just used my inflatable for a few years until I found a pretty trailer sailer that needed some attention at a real cheap price. I actually made a small profit on that one. Then to a 18' runabout, and the list goes on.

The problem here in the Sound, I find myself motoring most of the time anyway. And the wifie doesn't much like the sailing part unless it's a perfect sailing day. IYKWIM
Old 12-09-2016, 17:01   #11

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Thank you Delmarrey, for the summary of your trip. I especially appreciate the "numbers" you gave.

I see that you consumed about 1 gallon per hour on this trip. Can you tell us what your "normal" no-wind fuel consumption is at that same speed? I'm just trying to get an idea how fuel range is impacted by the head wind/seas on this trip.

Thanks,

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 17:16   #12

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Humm! I think I seen it in passing. I'm in R1. For the next 1-1/2 months I'll be mostly in the N. Seattle area with a few trips north to deal with some new property in Blaine. But I'll swing by when I'm up on, maybe, Thursday.

The trip South can be just as rough, it's just that you can use your sails, if you like, down wind. I still put 50 hrs on the motor going to SF. No guarantees. But I think late June thru early August is the most enjoyable.
You must be in Ugly Duckling! I pass it every time I take my dog for a walk. We are in S14 right out near the sea wall. What a nice boat you have although here's a story - the first night I was walking past the boat I almost ran and called security. You very carefully put a beach towel over the binnacle and there's a kids face on it - so I see a very eerie, very disembodied face grinning out at me through the windscreen. I don't know if you intended it but it sure keeps us all walking really fast past your boat!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 17:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Thank you Delmarrey, for the summary of your trip. I especially appreciate the "numbers" you gave.

I see that you consumed about 1 gallon per hour on this trip. Can you tell us what your "normal" no-wind fuel consumption is at that same speed? I'm just trying to get an idea how fuel range is impacted by the head wind/seas on this trip.

Thanks,

Steve
I did an average of total fuel to motor hrs just before this trip and it came out to .74 gl/hr. But that's mostly smooth waters around the Sound here. 218 hrs against a head wind and waves sure does make a difference!

There were several times hitting the waves that the boat slowed so much we could here the prop cavitating. At first, we thought there was something going wrong with the drive train. Whooo!

And I was running full speed (80% of max torque) most of the way. 2600 RPMs
Old 12-09-2016, 17:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
You must be in Ugly Duckling! I pass it every time I take my dog for a walk. We are in S14 right out near the sea wall. What a nice boat you have although here's a story - the first night I was walking past the boat I almost ran and called security. You very carefully put a beach towel over the binnacle and there's a kids face on it - so I see a very eerie, very disembodied face grinning out at me through the windscreen. I don't know if you intended it but it sure keeps us all walking really fast past your boat!
Yeah, that's an old towel to help cut the sun rays. Do you remember Max Headroom. That's the face. And it definitely keeps browsers alert!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	131075  
Old 13-09-2016, 07:46   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

We made the passage from San Diego to Monterey Bay last October. Motored all the way. Stopped at Santa Barbara and Moro Bay. Two weeks later we motored from Monterey to Bodega Bay.

I am confused. You mentioned Brookings before you crossed the Oregon Border. Did you mean Fort Bragg or Little River?
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego