Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 12:32   #1

Diving on anchor

Hello,

I've been reading about folks diving on a set anchor especially when its not calm. I can understand what is required, but what would one look for on the bottom of the ocean? Does the anchor need to be dug under x inches? or something else?

Thanks!
Sergv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 12:46   #2

Re: Diving on anchor

If you are in a sandy bottom you don't want to see the anchor laying own top of the sand with no flukes digging in. When in a rock bottom you want the fluke hooked own something. A hole, ledge or large rock. If in a mud bottom you want be able to see the anchor. When the water is clear and you know the kind of bottom drop the anchor and back down until the anchor holds. Dive the anchor and see what it looks like when set. The more you dive your anchor the better you will become.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Keel Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 12:49   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

Not my area of expertise, but this thread should help: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-155412.html
Old 17-03-2016, 13:06   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Also this; http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 14:07   #5

Boat: Nauticat 33

If the water is clear I dive my anchor every time. I spend so much time in the water anyway, it only makes sense to check out the anchor. I probably go a bit overboard, but once we set the anchor I leave the diesel running and immediately dive the anchor. Then I have my wife back down on the anchor and I watch what it's doing. If it's not set great I'll dive down and give the hoop a wiggle while she's backing down. That'll usually get it set. I'll also pile up some shells or rocks or something next to it so I can see if I drug. Now that I write it down, I'm apparently quite paranoid about my anchor.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 14:13   #6

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post

I probably go a bit overboard

Literally!
Old 17-03-2016, 14:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Not my area of expertise, but this thread should help: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-155412.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Both of those threads are very good sources and highly recommended. If one only had time to look at one discussion, go for the photo thread, since it is showing a large number of different anchors, in different ground and conditions. The primary poster tries to watch HOW the boat was anchored and it what conditions to show what works and what fails.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 20:37   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have read here about folks diving on their anchors, but at least where I am the water is often cold with low visibility, and in many spots you could be over rocks, sand or kelp, so, good to have a way to be sure the anchor(s) is(are) set well without having to dive to check it. I have also read folks saying they don't do anything to set the anchor, no backing down on it. This I cannot understand. At all.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:19   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

30 years ago, being a liveaboard with no boat insurance and crappy anchors, I dove on the anchor every time, night or day to make sure..

Nowadays with the new anchors like Rocka and such, I hardly ever dive and instead follow a procedure: After chain has stretched out, 1000 rpm in reverse for a few minutes, then slowly increase to 2000 rpm. If rock solid, I shut down and have a beer.
If bad weather forecast, 3000 rpm, then have a beer.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:33   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've never dove on mine just to see the anchor, I have been diving and "found" it of course.
I guess reason is, if it's nice enough Wx to dive on it, I don't worry about it dragging, if the weather is so bad I'm worried I'll drag, I'm not getting in the water.

I am very happy with the new Watchmate anchor alarm, the GPS is much more accurate than the one on my phone, once in a blue moon, my phone would travel a mile or two, setting off the alarm, but then come back about the time I woke up
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:00   #11
h20

being a diver, I dive all the time anyway, so i pretty much just check it.
Sometimes i may pull it over to a big rock or take a line of the edge of a sharp hole. If stuck, i can tie behind it to pull. Just use your common sense. many things in here have helped me over the years, but when you get down to it, it is you and the sea. Physics never change thats why it is easy to figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergv View Post
Hello,

I've been reading about folks diving on a set anchor especially when its not calm. I can understand what is required, but what would one look for on the bottom of the ocean? Does the anchor need to be dug under x inches? or something else?

Thanks!
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:33   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

If I had to dive on my anchor every time I anchored, I would be spending my nights in marinas. The water is often cold, murky and I'm not that good of a swimmer or diver.

I count on having a good anchor, setting enough scope, backing down on the anchor and selecting a good spot in the first place. And an anchor drag alarm.

So far, this has worked well for me.
Old 11-04-2016, 21:51   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

Use a fish finder instead of just a depth meter and get used to checking bottom characteristics from the display, then set the anchor with the scope you feel appropriate and back into it until you either run out of revs or you think the anchor is well enough set. If you are not comfortable that it holds enough or that it might not reset on a wind or current shift set a second anchor and pull it in. Keep going until you either become comfortable or run out of anchors. Bottom tackle will pretty well always do you a lot more good on the bottom than in the chain locker.

If you dive on anchors near a creek or river anywhere N of about 21 degrees S in Australia, a dragging anchor could be the least of your worries.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 22:21   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RaymondR makes a good point.

Sergv, I'm thinking that diving your anchor is instructive, especially when you have a set routine to your anchoring, because you can view the results, learn how deeply your particular anchor sets in the bottoms you're using.

Is it necessary, probably not, not when it's not fun. I wouldn't mind diving it in a chop, but wouldn't in murky water nor crocodile-infested water, either, or with too many sharks, even mild mannered ones. Today's AIS anchor alarm function quite well, and our old GPS (only) did, too. So, if you're concerned, you can check a graphic display that shows you what is happening.

Ann
Old 11-04-2016, 22:28   #15

If its a warm day, it always is down here and the water is clear we will snorkel out and have a look but many times we don't for a variety of reasons. Having a very regimented anchoring routine that works is still the best game.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, diving