Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 14:39   #1

Looking for new homebase - Florida towns for a new family

Thanks in advance, guys!
We are a young family (wife and I are in our early 30's and have a newborn son) looking to move to Florida in Sept-Oct. of 2018.
I'm an architect, looking to start my own business in the new location and my wife is finishing up her program (medical) and will start to look for jobs this fall. We'd appreciate suggestions on areas suitable to our needs to let my wife's recruiter know where to look/apply for placements. My wife could also work from home, but will need part time placement at a hospital/clinic.

What we are looking for:
Live near the beach in a house/condo
Live near good day-sailing and have access to cruising waters
Have a family friendly town with good schools
Have good restaurants within driving range

I've been spoiled with sailing/racing out of City Island, Bronx on LIS and quite enjoyed the blue-collar feel of the place and the people.
I'm looking to get my family into cruising and maybe racing when my boy grows up. Possibly take a few years off and do "The Loop". We don't have a boat yet and I could use more experience sailing by myself.

I've read a few forums about towns best suited for day-sailing and cruising, like the "Best town for sailors between Savannah, GA, and Georgia, FL" thread and found great suggestions.
Ponte Verde Beach, St. Augustine and Jacksonville is on the map along with Amelia Island. My wife loved the Miami area when she lived there. I'll be happy to avoid the traffic, I've had enough of it here in NY.
Have done some research on the west coast, such as St. Pete/Tampa/Punta Gorda-Port Charlotte area but haven't found anything solid yet that has good sailing and family friendly/near the beach.

Looking forward to visiting Florida this summer/fall and feeling out some neighborhoods.
Y-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:50   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Looking for new homebase - Florida towns for a new family

We live and sail out of Coconut Grove, Miami. Lovely place to live , walk to restaurants, great sailing both club racing and cruising and an excellent medical community, I am a retired doctor.

CGSC Has two local cruising Beneteaus that can be sailed locally and overnight for a $50/month fee.

Where Sailors Belong!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 16:11   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I'm obviously biased toward SW Florida and find the sailing fantastic (when we have the time).

I'm sure you can make any place in Florida near the water work for sailing. Different times of the year will vary sailing pleasure in the various Florida places.

Decide whether you want a house/condo on the water with your boat in your backyard or an inland place and either a rented slip or trailer sailor. Either are availble all over Florida.

Good Luck in your search! There are a 1000 people a day moving to Florida (2 year old stat).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 16:17   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Looking for new homebase - Florida towns for a new family

All the homeowners on the coast are trying to get out before their houses fall into the ocean so there are lots of deals to be had. Here in west palm beach I saw a two bedroom condo on the top floor of a 13 floor building going for 250k. Houses just inland two or three miles with a pool and three bedrooms cost about the same.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miamihe...127251479.html
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 16:34   #5

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

The Tampa / St Pete area has lots to attract you, Lots of sailing waters and reasonable property costs. Also multiple hospitals if that's where your income comes from.
Old 02-06-2017, 16:48   #6
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

We're in SW Georgia. It takes us about an hour, depending on winds and tide, to get out of the shipping channel to open water. While that's not too bad, if I had to do it over again, I'd go to St. Augustine. Lovely town. Great restaurants. Quick trip to open water. Of course, not a hurricane hole, by any means. Look up pics after Matthew. Not sure about schools, but that'd be my pick if I had to do it over again. Amelia Island is lovely. Not sure about all the marinas nearby, but Fernandina Harbor Marina is no more. It will take years to rebuild. Last we checked, Tiger Point had no vacancies and I'm not familiar with Amelia Island Yacht Basin.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 18:06   #7

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Man View Post
Miami area has many nice things, but they do not include good schools. The only one decent school there is Palmetto High, which is serving Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay communities.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 20:49   #8

Thank you for all of your replies! Please let me know whether there are threads similar to this. Really appreciate it, cheers!
Y-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:41   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Y-Man.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:02   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop

Look into Okaloosa County, on the upper gulf coast of Florida

Google Niceville / Valparaiso area Destin Ft Walton Beach

The beach are is known as the Emerald Coast
White sand beaches
Inter-coastal waterway
Choctahatchee Bay
Many places to keep your boat(s) are available

Eglin AFB and Tourism are the main economic contributors
People come from all over the world to vacation here

6% Sales Tax
NO State Income Tax
Very reasonable land rates

Best public schools in the world - high rate of parent involvement
I moved here 30 years ago - raised our 3 kids and stayed

Many others will tell you the same

Not affiliated withe the Chamber of Commerce - just believe
strongly in the values of this area
Jhowell5558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:58   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Man View Post
Thanks in advance, guys!
We are a young family (wife and I are in our early 30's and have a newborn son) looking to move to Florida in Sept-Oct. of 2018.
I'm an architect, looking to start my own business in the new location and my wife is finishing up her program (medical) and will start to look for jobs this fall. We'd appreciate suggestions on areas suitable to our needs to let my wife's recruiter know where to look/apply for placements. My wife could also work from home, but will need part time placement at a hospital/clinic.

What we are looking for:
Live near the beach in a house/condo
Live near good day-sailing and have access to cruising waters
Have good restaurants within driving range

I've been spoiled with sailing/racing out of City Island, Bronx on LIS and quite enjoyed the blue-collar feel of the place and the people.
I'm looking to get my family into cruising and maybe racing when my boy grows up. Possibly take a few years off and do "The Loop". We don't have a boat yet and I could use more experience sailing by myself.

I've read a few forums about towns best suited for day-sailing and cruising, like the "Best town for sailors between Savannah, GA, and Georgia, FL" thread and found great suggestions.
Ponte Verde Beach, St. Augustine and Jacksonville is on the map along with Amelia Island. My wife loved the Miami area when she lived there. I'll be happy to avoid the traffic, I've had enough of it here in NY.
Have done some research on the west coast, such as St. Pete/Tampa/Punta Gorda-Port Charlotte area but haven't found anything solid yet that has good sailing and family friendly/near the beach.

Looking forward to visiting Florida this summer/fall and feeling out some neighborhoods.
You may want to consider Cape Coral/ Ft. Myers. Cape Coral offers homes and condos with dockage at good prices. Lee county seems to be growing.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:03   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A tip. Get the wife, & your son, involved in sailing as soon as possible. Even now isn't too early. And if she doesn't sail now, get her into some classes primarily oriented towards women, perhaps even taught by them. It'll help a lot. As will the both of you crewing on racing boats. You'll learn more in a year of crewing that way, than in a decade of weekend sailing, & ocassional coastal cruising. Plus it's rediculously fun, & a great way to network.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

A lot of the areas suggested are great for retirement.

If you are starting a new architecture business, you're going to need to be where building is happening.

I'd take a look at Merritt Island. A lot of private space related companies are moving in and building office buildings. Their employees need housing as well. Do it soon. The price of real estate in that area is going up fast.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:17   #14

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

If you like to sail in protected waters (nearly year round) and have access to cruising waters take a look at the Florida Northern Gulf Coast. A collection of bays all connected by the GCICWW. Pt St Joe, Panama City, Ft Walton, Pensacola. Need to keep the stick below 50ft, but best knocking around in a small boat I have found anywhere. More Pine Trees than boats.

Get on Google Earth and have a look. Medical will find a job anywhere, Architect not sure, schools also not sure as we are well past that age.

Here 53 years next week (came right straight out of college), case of dynamite wouldn't get me out of this area.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:00   #15

I've lived on both FL coasts.
Miami - Daytona and Tampa - Cape Haze.
Stay on the Gulf side. I also recommend S of Tampa for true FL weather.
We live on Anna Maria Island. Very laid back. Great elementary school.
Depending on budget Bradenton and Sarasota are both great choices.
The farther south you go the farther away things get from the beach.
Port charlotte and North Port are what you would call blue collar but for architecture and medical Manatee and Sarasota Counties are where I would start.
(Miami is great. I lived there in my teens as well. I'm lucky to have a brother on Biscayne Bay and can go over to visit without the hassle of living there.)
Good luck.
strader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, florida