Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 10:35   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
Mexico now wants a bug inspection

The check in people at Isla Mujers now want you have a pest report for your boat. They are not enforcing this rule yet, but you would really impress them if you arrived with one: flowers:
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:58   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mexico now wants a bug inspection

awesome.
prepare for killing all incoming. prolly too many complaining about the secondary national bird of mexico--la cucaracha. they even have a song for it.
eagle just gets a flag.
btw--there are some nasty bugs in fla and gulf coast not common in mexico--is a good thing to keep em outta here. best of luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:03   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The check in people at Isla Mujers now want you have a pest report for your boat. They are not enforcing this rule yet, but you would really impress them if you arrived with one: flowers:

Were they able to elaborate what a "pest report" is?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

I checked into Isla Mujeras just before Easter this year (using an agent) and was not asked about a bug report.

Guy
Did you do the check in yourself or did you use a agent?
(the reason I ask this is because I ran into a friend of mine after we arrived who did not use an agent for checking in and he was given a much harder time and was required to answer many more questions than we were)

Do you know which of the authorities wanted the Bug Report?
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:24   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Mexico now wants a bug inspection

Pest is not the same as bug. Pest may mean rat in this case.

They may be wanting a deratification certificate. It's something ships sometimes have to cough up.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:40   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

It was the really big guy who is now taking your body temp . He is also the same guy who a few years ago told me boats from the USA needed to start bringing down check out papers like a zarpe. He's not the port captain or imagration, so he must be health and customs.
We do the check in at Marina Parasio and check out ourselves. It was during checkout back to the USA that we were told what is going to be required.
I asked him what was a bug report was and the best I could figure out was proof of an exterminator's report that you are not infested with some weird bug. I wonder if large ships use some sort of form for this?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:50   #7

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Maybe it is the people on the who might be the pests? I have at times unintentionally anchored near a few. But whatever the critter type, the inspection is most likely a new revenue source and a avenue for additional individual undeclared income.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:23   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

They have been asking for this for 2-3 years on random boats. We were asked 2 years ago when we arrived. We used an agent and he handled it for us. It wasn't a big deal.

The real fact is, they WANT you to use an agent. These are just some of the tricks they use to reinforce that! We just sucked it up and paid the $80 for an agent.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 13:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
They have been asking for this for 2-3 years on random boats. We were asked 2 years ago when we arrived. We used an agent and he handled it for us. It wasn't a big deal.

The real fact is, they WANT you to use an agent. These are just some of the tricks they use to reinforce that! We just sucked it up and paid the $80 for an agent.
We are at anchor but got away with paying $75 for the agents fee (we used Julio at at El Milagro). I had a look at our papers and the Big fella must be Health as there is a question on their paperwork "Fumigation certificate Yes/No"
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 13:43   #10

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
We are at anchor but got away with paying $75 for the agents fee (we used Julio at at El Milagro). I had a look at our papers and the Big fella must be Health as there is a question on their paperwork "Fumigation certificate Yes/No"
We used the same Agent.. He is a good fella...

Say Hi to Tim and Reba on Tropical Fun! We miss them!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 15:37   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Were they able to elaborate what a "pest report" is?
Adelie is correct,... It is called a Deratting Certificate and is part of Quarantine control.

Mostly enforced only on ships, it is legally required by all

It is really not a big thing to get and a good idea before going foreign.

A simple professional fumigation to get rid of all those shore based pests, by a company certified to issue a De-Rat and you have that paper on board. (Used to be for 6 months period, but if a yacht has an expired one, it is usually OK).

Subsequent certification after initial fumigation, often involves an inspection only after they lay a few traps.

Personally, I am all for it as I hate bugs on board.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:59   #12

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello everybody,

Mexico will change rules for boating next 1rst of June. More paperworks, more work for agencies...(you I just asked my DESPACHO (checkout/Zarpe) from Mexico. Leaving San-Carlos/Sonora for Tahiti. Had an inspection done by an engineer before delivering of that document. I'am under french flag... but have to complain to all Mexican rules about equipement and they are some differences... But finally all came good, checked all : flares, lifejackets, liferaft, fire extinguisher, boy, anchor, floating Anchor, VHF (2), SSB, boat documents, engine, navigation lights, liabillity insurance, etc... took one hour in spanish.

Looks a bit strange for me, never had this kind of inspection since I begin my sail around, but can understand it... they come searching you in case of problem.

Next post from Tahiti in 3-4 weeks.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection, Mexico