Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 19:57   #1

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48
Thailand immigration - how to explain I am arriving by air to collect boat?

My boat has been moored in Thailand (Phuket) for a while, and I now plan to sail it from there to Malaysia.

I am not in Thailand at the moment, but planning to fly there next week and then sail from there.

But I worry about Thailand immigration procedures when arriving by air...

Thai immigration are said to require proof of onward travel, typically a return flight ticket.

Even if Thai immigration staff will be understanding, airline staff might take a different view. They often check that passengers bound for Thailand carry return tickets.

So I wonder if someone has experience with this, and what preparations I should make?

I guess it is a common issue for international cruisers, delivery crew etc.

The nearest I have to any proof of onward travel is my temporary import clearance for the boat, which is valid until May. I could show this document, and perhaps other boat documents, and explain I am going to Thailand in order to sail the boat away.

But that is not really a ticket.

I will also bring crew - they will face the same problem, and unlike for me, their name is not in the boat documents.

Note: Everyone involved will be eligible for the 30-day visa waiver.

Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 20:09   #2

Re: Thailand immigration - how to explain I am arriving by air to collect boat?

I lived in Thailand for 2 years. It would be quite unusual to be asked for proof of onward travel at the airport. I used to fly in and out weekly and never was asked - but at DMK they are a bit more strict now. To avoid a hassle I would just doctor up an airline itinerary printout showing onward travel in 30 days. I have used this trick when applying for multiple entry tourist visas at the Thai embassy in Jakarta where they require seeing multiple inbound and outbound flights...
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 20:13   #3

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We just flew into Thailand twice in the last two months. Both times on one-way tickets and never got asked by the airlines or immigration. We did have tickets out but they were with a different airline, so they wouldn't have seen it in their systems unless we showed it to them.

We ran into this in Fiji, but went to Immigration before flying out and got a letter from them allowing a one way flight in because of the boat. The key was doing it while in the country though. If there's a Thai Embassy near you maybe they could do it?

My wife also had this issue flying to NZ on a one-way ticket when I sailed down from Fiji with some friends. The easiest way around it then was simply buying a refundable ticket out that we just cancelled later for a full refund. They did need to see our Cruising Permit to refund the miney though. A bit of a hassle, but worked.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:06   #4

Boat: Binliner 195

Been to Thailand several times (am in Phuket now) Sometimes with a return ticket, usually not, The only problem I have ever had was with coming out of Sydney Australia via Singapore to Samui, The ever so helpful Check in "person" would not allow us check straight through as we did not have ticket out,(more than my jobsworth,,,,etc,, Airline can get big fine) He finally allowed us to travel to Singapore with the proviso that we must get a ticket out of Thailand & show at check in before they would allow us onto the next flight, So arrived in Singapore, Got on net and got the 3 cheapest tickets out of Thailand we could find, (IIRC about 20 euro each, We had no intention of actually getting on flight)
Got to check-in & the first question was "why did you not check through ?" To which I explained what happened, His reply, You should not have bothered, We do not care,,,,,
The one thing I will mention is to make sure you get your passports stamped on the way out within your visa time limit or it will cost you 500B a day for overstay.

Tim
blackswan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:27   #5

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Take a copy of your boat registration, tell them you are going out by ship...
Worked for me.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:25   #6

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Thanks for all the advice!
I will travel without a return ticket, but will carry boat documents.
Also, I'm thinking to go early to the airport and the check-in. So if there is a problem after all, I can get on the 'net and buy a throwaway return ticket in time.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Thailand