Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 09:01   #1

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190
Hydraulic steering components

I want to buy quality parts to install a pump on a pedestal guard well connected to the bridge deck, a relief valve, hoses, ram etc.to fix to robust tiller 18" fwd. the rudderstock. The pump must be vented with a relief valve to take it offline to steer with the tiller or to use the Auto helm 2000. Later, a Norvane will be added, regged to the tiller. Has anyone done the research and trial and error already and can point me to brands that are solid and reliable components ? This is for an Alberg 35. Any guidance will be appreciated; any lectures will be given every attention. Thanks.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 10:13   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Hydraulic steering components

The question here is WHY do you want hydraulic steering? On an Alberg. Regular cable based wheel steering is much less complex and expensive to install. Albergs are well balanced boats and really get no benefit from hydraulic steering systems.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 11:21   #3

Hydraulic steering takes the feel out of sailing. No feedback, no fun!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 11:32   #4

I don't want to take up the space for pedestal type steering . I have a stainless guard, such as used on pedestals that is strongly bolted to the sole as well as the bridge deck that I could mount the pump with small wheel to. I steer in front of the tiller in the space at off the bridge deck.The wheel would be right there, taking up little space and I could switch it on or off as suites me. It gives me a choice of how I want to steer my Algerg. Besides the Auto helm tiller pilot, there will be a Norvane wind vane rigged to the tiller. I want to do this because it pleases me to do so. Now; do you know of any reliable sources of quality components where I can obtain the pieces to assemble my hydraulic steering or don't you?
Old 14-08-2015, 13:11   #5

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Kobelt. google it.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 13:15   #6

oh - and "takes the feel out of sailing" - really? I get so much feedback through my hydraulic steering system the bloody nut holding the steering wheel on occasionally undoes itself - usually when the boat wants to power onto some nearby rocks...whats so good about 'feel' ?
Old 14-08-2015, 22:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
oh - and "takes the feel out of sailing" - really? I get so much feedback through my hydraulic steering system the bloody nut holding the steering wheel on occasionally undoes itself - usually when the boat wants to power onto some nearby rocks...whats so good about 'feel' ?
Yes, really.

I just put a few thousand miles on this sweetie. She had a hydraulic steering system that was as limp and lifeless as the power steering on a 1972 Oldsmobile. The pump was right below the helm, and made more noise than the engine. I have sailed quite a few different ships, and the thing that disappointed me most about this one, even worse than the nose-level black water vent next to the helm, was the hydraulic steering.

What's so good about feel??? It's the ship talking to you at the helm. And I like that!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 23:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
Yes, really.

I just put a few thousand miles on this sweetie. She had a hydraulic steering system that was as limp and lifeless as the power steering on a 1972 Oldsmobile. The pump was right below the helm, and made more noise than the engine. I have sailed quite a few different ships, and the thing that disappointed me most about this one, even worse than the nose-level black water vent next to the helm, was the hydraulic steering.
What's so good about feel??? It's the ship talking to you at the helm. And I like that!
really - that antediluvian monster is your best example? Underwhelming argument. Without hydraulics on something that size, a brisk breeze would require 2 men on the helm. Ask them about feel after a 4 hr watch.
Old 15-08-2015, 05:35   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I installed a Kobelt system in my boat & it works great. There is a steering lock valve so you can get feed back, or not. When motoring I turn the lock off. The pressure regular has a bypass valve I open when I want to use the tiller for a tiller pilot or wind vane. I even have gauges to tell me how much feed back I have. Check out my blog below. And no noise! Maybe if it had a hyd. auto pilot?
Old 15-08-2015, 05:42   #10

Charliehows,thank you for the lead to kobelt.Just what I was asking for; not the pro and cons of hydraulic steering. Other posters; thanks for your time. Didn't mean to start a new line of argument. Just wanted the question that I asked answered.
Old 15-08-2015, 16:55   #11

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Have been very happy with our Hydrive installation for over 25 years. Welcome to HyDrive

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 18:06   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

You could incorporate a hydraulic drive into the Autohelm system and avoid the need to decouple to steer. Overkill for an Alberb 35' but handy.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 20:41   #13

agree - if putting in a new system, an autopilot pump is a good idea - I've heard they are quite robust and if my system wasnt a bit old i'd be tempted.
Old 16-08-2015, 14:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
agree - if putting in a new system, an autopilot pump is a good idea - I've heard they are quite robust and if my system wasnt a bit old i'd be tempted.
My experience with the Raymairne pumps used with the ST series has been quite good. Original pump installed in 2000 worked flawlessly until 2005 when a seal started leaking (lots of miles in those 5 years, including one Atlantic crossing). The pump and motor were still fine, but I replaced with an entirely new unit, because I could not get the seal repaired, and ten years later its still going strong.
Old 16-08-2015, 14:39   #15

I also think going directly from the drive to the rudder quadrant will give you a simpler installation. Going from hydraulic to tiller could get a bit rube-goldbergish.

Tags
hydraulic steering, steering