Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2017, 08:00   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Single Handed Maintenance/Tool Techniques

There are plenty of threads on single handed sailing, but none I recall on single handed maintenace techniques.

Example, Im in the process of rebedding chain plates and installing new bolts. Needed to snug them up this AM but had no helper, no way a wrench would stay put on the inside on its own. So...I carefully clamped the nut w vice grips (carefully...so as to not damage the wrench flats)...and tied it off to a bit of furniture below. Had to pop in and out to reposition the vice grips to each nut, but at least I could finish the job.

Any other tips n tricks?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:01   #2

Re: Single Handed Maintenance/Tool Techniques

Pic: Click image for larger version

Name:	20171021_092710.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	158094
Old 21-10-2017, 08:47   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

I just refit my deck and so ran into this extensively. I'm at a "do it yourself" yard and wanted to minimize paying for someone to simply hold a screw driver at $80/hour so it was something I was continuously confronted with. FYI I took the same approach to installing my chainplates.

Some other thoughts, primarily about ongoing maintenance

- Distribute duplicate tools in various places where they are needed throughout the boat. For example, I have a tool roll in the engine room that includes the commonly used tools I need for regular maintenance. Getting into and out of my engine compartment, given my height and size, is not something I want to do unessessarily. There's nothing worse than cramming myself in there only to discover that I forgot a particular spanner

- Proactivity. You need to stay on top of maintenance diligently not only because it can take longer since you're solo but also because dealing with an issue when you're single handed can be more difficult if not downright dangerous. My mast hardware and fittings for example get inspected frequently in benign conditions since going up the mast solo in more difficult conditions is just about the most dangerous repair scenario that you can engage in when single handing.

- Simplicity is your friend. When designing solutions for boat systems, keep it simple. Fewer repairs, easier and faster repairs.

I can't think of specific tools or tricks that apply to various maintenance tasks, other than vice grips. I did stumble on a vise grip crescent wrench (flat parallel jaws) that is now a favorite tool, but it's useful to anyone single handing or not.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 09:01   #4

Maine Sail's butyl tape. Not only does it replace silicone, even Life Caulk, with a near forever life when installed, it can be used in tools like sockets to keep the bolt from falling out.

Do it right so you only have to do it once.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 09:17   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

Use duct tape! I fasten a box end wrench with duct tape. If the other end can not be braced against something it will need a line like you used.
Richard Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 09:19   #6

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
- Distribute duplicate tools in various places where they are needed throughout the boat. For example, I have a tool roll in the engine room that includes the commonly used tools I need for regular maintenance. Getting into and out of my engine compartment, given my height and size, is not something I want to do unessessarily. There's nothing worse than cramming myself in there only to discover that I forgot a particular spanner.
Would seem obvious, but never thought of doing it - Thank you!
Old 21-10-2017, 09:22   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Harper View Post
Use duct tape! I fasten a box end wrench with duct tape. If the other end can not be braced against something it will need a line like you used.
This is what I do a lot

I also realised recently that I should have been using hex bolts instead of normal screws for everything - that way I could have vice-gripped the head and been able to tighten up from the nut side (which is needed if you use butyl tape)
Old 21-10-2017, 09:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Maine Sail's butyl tape. Not only does it replace silicone, even Life Caulk, with a near forever life when installed, it can be used in tools like sockets to keep the bolt from falling out.

Do it right so you only have to do it once.

When I was a kid I had a set of Craftsman screw drivers that had a clip system to hold the screw. They were awesome!

Havent seen such in decades, so asked my pro mechanic stepson about similar tools...nope, he didnt know of any either. He also just uses a bit of whatever to hold the screw in place.
Old 21-10-2017, 09:50   #9

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
When I was a kid I had a set of Craftsman screw drivers that had a clip system to hold the screw. They were awesome!
Wow! You must be really old, because I remember those!
Old 21-10-2017, 09:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Havent seen such in decades, so asked my pro mechanic stepson about similar tools...nope, he didnt know of any either. He also just uses a bit of whatever to hold the screw in place.
Funny thing, I just asked about that at Canadian Tire, with a very knowledgeable salesman who does know his stuff. He remembered, too, ut, nope, ain't made anymore, or at least they don't have it.

My solution, and his?: a dollop of butyl tape in the Phillip head screw slots. Worked great. The screwdriver was already magnetized, but wouldn't hold the screws at the angle I had to work in/with.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 10:11   #11

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Instead of using standard vice grips, I purchased a locking wrench: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-61.../dp/B00009OYGZ

Works really well, not just to hold nuts/bolts, but also because it gets a tighter grip on hardware to help prevent rounding out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	locking-stanley-wrench.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	158097  
Old 21-10-2017, 10:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
Instead of using standard vice grips, I purchased a locking wrench: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-61.../dp/B00009OYGZ

Works really well, not just to hold nuts/bolts, but also because it gets a tighter grip on hardware to help prevent rounding out.
Great idea. Working w standard adustables single handed (literally when you can only get one hand in the space) can be a PITA because you have to keep retrieving them to re-adjust.
Old 21-10-2017, 10:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Wow! You must be really old, because I remember those! [emoji3]
Nah, I just got an early start! 😆

I started buying my own tools when I was like 8, but given the production years of those screw drivers...that still means Im sneaking up on old.

Still have all my original Craftsman metric & standard combnation wrench sets too. Good stuff...they are close to half a century old and still in excellent condition...despite spending a couple or those decades on boats.
Old 21-10-2017, 10:32   #14

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

When working outboard, (above or below waterline) or up the mast, or where the bilge is waiting to catch dropped items, use a little twine to tether your tools, or propeller, or whatever.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 10:36   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Sometimes you can find (or have made) spanners made from stainless or galvanized flat stock, anywhere between 3-6mm thick. Get the sort which are 6-points, as they grip the nut or bolt better. And you can often wedge their "handle" end up against things, while turning the fastener on the other side of them, without them slipping. That & you can always fit them with lanyard holes.

One other trick, to use with the above, or regular 6-point spanners. Is to brace the head of the wrench onto the nut along the same axis that you'll be turning the fastener, while also bracing said spanner so that the handle can't rotate.

Also, you can put a 6-point socket onto one side of the bulkhead, with the ratchet handle inserted, & then put a long cheater bar onto the handle so that it protrudes out past the edge of the bulkhead you're working on. So that hopefully you can hold the ratchet's cheater bar in one hand, while turning the nut on the fastener. Think of it as your having longer arms.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, single