Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2018, 13:26   #1

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Falmouth UK anchorages

What's a good place to anchor in Falmouth/ Truro area.? Got an invite to visit some friends there on the way south and need a place to stay for a few days or so. I don't do marinas or moorings. They want things I don't have, and likely being single-handed anchoring is vastly easier.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 13:29   #2

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Falmouth UK anchorages

We anchored just outside the mooring field back in 2006. There was also an anchorage on the other side of the channel (Due North) though more exposed and a bit rolly.

If you want to get away to a slightly quieter anchorage, we also anchored across the river at St Mawes.

Lovely boat you have. I've always loved the Colvin Gazelle.
Cheers. Enjoy.

Paul, in PEI.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 00:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

these days there is virtually no free mooring around falmouth,the harbour commisioners will come out and charge you for anchoring or move you on if near a mooring field.

you might be able to anchor free off of flushing if there is space.

if you can beach the boat on the foreshore,then you have a lot more possibilities of short term free mooring though generally the harbour master will move you on quite quickly.

generally expect to pay £15-20 a night for anchoring directly off of falmouth,or tied up to any of the pontoons in the river.

around the bay you will be able to find free anchorages in more remote spots.

st mawes they will charge if off of the town,and the helford near the moorings
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 00:32   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Falmouth 1, approach, entry, Inner Harbour, Penryn River - Channel, West: pilotage, charts, photos and marine business listings
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 03:58   #5

Thanks atoll, that's what I need to know. Looking around on Google Earth it looks like some boats anchor off smuggler's cove past the King Harry ferry. The link that conachair put up was interesting, I hadn't come across that before. The trip up to Truro looks interesting and that's the first info I have seen on that. I don't have boat legs, so I need something to lay along side if I dry out. Spending half a day with the boat laying on it's side is not appealing [emoji849].
This looks like a good place to depart for points south but the mooring charges could get out of hand if I am there more than a week or two. Looks like I need to get south of Biscay around the first week of September at the latest.
Old 23-05-2018, 05:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
Thanks atoll, that's what I need to know. Looking around on Google Earth it looks like some boats anchor off smuggler's cove past the King Harry ferry. The link that conachair put up was interesting, I hadn't come across that before. The trip up to Truro looks interesting and that's the first info I have seen on that. I don't have boat legs, so I need something to lay along side if I dry out. Spending half a day with the boat laying on it's side is not appealing [emoji849].
This looks like a good place to depart for points south but the mooring charges could get out of hand if I am there more than a week or two. Looks like I need to get south of Biscay around the first week of September at the latest.
visitmyharbour.com is a must if you don't have good up to date charts of the uk.
can be loaded onto open cpn i belive.
for £69 i think you can get the extended version that has charts all the way
to the med.
lots of new wind farms and traffic separation zones not on CM93.

north of king harry ferry,you should not get charged for anchoring.
in truro you might be able to lay alongside just before tesco's supermarket,though draft might be a problem.
in the helford you can lay alongside Tremaine Quay.
at pandoras inn there is also a wall where you could lay alongside

all these places are tidal so you need to plan to get there on a raising tide,then dry out as the tide falls.

if you dry out along side another keelboat (or more) make sure you are both pulled in tight to the dock,just before touching bottom,with the boat trimmed to lean inwards to prevent slipping under the inboard yacht.

generally from experince of numerous biscay crossings .you will get good 4-5day windows till about mid october,even if you have to wait a week or so for it to arrive.

easterlys are more common later,with september generally flat calm in biscay once you get out of the channel, as far as finisterre.

the first real blow we get is around the 15 november generally
Old 23-05-2018, 05:30   #7

Thanks for all the advice, drying out on a wall will be a new experience for me. Looks like I need to be on board to tend the lines for every ebbing tide.
Doing the planning bit at the moment, I have several possibilities going, but I won't know until I leave exactly how I will approach the UK. Trying to finish up some repairs and hopefully score one more delivery before moving on. If it gets too late I will skip going back to the Arctic and head straight to Ireland, which will be a lot different than coming down from the north. I have to be out of Canada by 30 June, and I need to be down into the notherly winds without getting stuck in the UK for the winter. Other than that scheduling is pretty open, just following the weather around. My schooner doesn't deal well with wind forward of the beam, that's why I am wary of getting caught too late in the year north of Biscay.
Old 23-05-2018, 05:41   #8

No paper, but I just got a new Navionics card for the plotter, updated to last week and their apps on 3 tablets. With the current Reed's almanac I should be pretty well covered[emoji16]
Old 23-05-2018, 07:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No paper, but I just got a new Navionics card for the plotter, updated to last week and their apps on 3 tablets. With the current Reed's almanac I should be pretty well covered[emoji16]
reeds international edition has atlantic ports ,uk and ireland in sufficient detail,and navionics should be fine.

generally as long as you are along side, the boat is trimmed to heel inwards, and your fore and aft lines are weighted the boat will dry out against a wall with out further attention after the initial dry out where at low water you might have to tighten or loosen up springs and adjust lines.

rafting up to one or more yachts is a bit more difficult as it is very important that all the vessels are snug up against each other when they start to lean in.
failure to do this generally has the 3rd yacht out in danger of bending stanctions or worse.

probably best to budget on having to pay for time at anchor in falmouth if you are in a hurry,other options are really quite remote.
showers and dinghy dock are included,and you are in the center of town ,so easy to reprovision and get water fuel,gas repairs etc,trago mills hardware and tescos supermarket almost on the dock
i think if you pay weekly you get a better price.
lots of yachts heading south at that time of year so quite festive.
pm me when you get there if you need any help cheers atoll
Old 23-05-2018, 09:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
probably best to budget on having to pay for time at anchor in falmouth if you are in a hurry,other options are really quite remote.
It's £1.45/meter/night for anchoring, £2.20/meter/night for a visitors mooring. And as Atoll says, it's pretty central for most things, including the train station with trains to Truro about every 30 mins.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 06:20   #11

Quote:
reeds international edition has atlantic ports ,uk and ireland in sufficient detail,and navionics should be fine.

generally as long as you are along side, the boat is trimmed to heel inwards, and your fore and aft lines are weighted the boat will dry out against a wall with out further attention after the initial dry out where at low water you might have to tighten or loosen up springs and adjust lines.

rafting up to one or more yachts is a bit more difficult as it is very important that all the vessels are snug up against each other when they start to lean in.
failure to do this generally has the 3rd yacht out in danger of bending stanctions or worse.

showers and dinghy dock are included,and you are in the center of town ,so easy to reprovision and get water fuel,gas repairs etc,trago mills hardware and tescos supermarket almost on the dock
i think if you pay weekly you get a better price.
lots of yachts heading south at that time of year so quite festive.
pm me when you get there if you need any help cheers atoll[emoji2]
I will send you a note when I get there [emoji3]
Old 24-05-2018, 06:29   #12

It looks like heading far up the river would be the more interesting and economical way to visit the area. Another idea came up in a conversation yesterday...is it possible to leave a foreign flagged (USA) vessel here for a month or two while I fly back across the pond to do a few jobs. I usually budget 200-400usd a month for a safe place to leave the boat when I do that. Or should I be looking for a more economical harbor if I do that, also considering ease of access to the international airports.?
Old 24-05-2018, 10:06   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It looks like heading far up the river would be the more interesting and economical way to visit the area. Another idea came up in a conversation yesterday...is it possible to leave a foreign flagged (USA) vessel here for a month or two while I fly back across the pond to do a few jobs. I usually budget 200-400usd a month for a safe place to leave the boat when I do that. Or should I be looking for a more economical harbor if I do that, also considering ease of access to the international airports.?
probably ireland or france would be much cheaper for marina space,falmouth would be about £400-600 a month ,off season(1st oct) for a 40 footer at the visitor pontoons.

a mooring would be about £700-800 high season.

i might be able to organise you a temporary alongside drying berth behind me for about £250 a month,but would have to enquire
Old 25-05-2018, 06:04   #14

Quote:
probably ireland or france would be much cheaper for marina space,falmouth would be about £400-600 a month ,off season(1st oct) for a 40 footer at the visitor pontoons.

a mooring would be about £700-800 high season.

i might be able to organise you a temporary alongside drying berth behind me for about £250 a month,but would have to enquire
Thanks again for the information, this helps a lot with planning! I will keep your offer in mind. I should be ready to go in about two weeks, then I will have to decide to wait a little longer for a job to come up or get underway.

Tags
anchor, anchorages