Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 09:29   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 45' C&L Marine Explorer Staysail Ketch w/ a center cockpit. www.SeaBirdSailingExcursions.com
My experiences with haul out yards in Costa Rica, Pacific side

Hola!

I have been meaning to post this in order to help other sailors for awhile.

Sea Bird is a 45' full keeled vessel, which is a major benefit for us when it comes to hauling out here.

A few years ago we used a haul out yard in Puntarenas locally known as Sami Manley...email address to the haul out yard (and they speak English) is talleresmanley@ice.co.cr, phone numbers 011-506-2661-0871 and 011-506-2661-2523. We were very happy with their service, the whole experiece was great, from meeting us at the point of the peninsula to guide us in navigating up the canal, to hauling us out and providing supplies and manual labor as well as electricians, mechanics, RADAR experts and everything we needed. This is who we will use again and again.

But last November we had a small leak coming in through one of the through hulls and needed to get hauled out ASAP. We have friends that also own a 45' sailboat and they said we should try this new place in Caldera called Sunset Eco Boatyard. Their website and facebook page looked great, and all new and we didn't have to navigate the canal. So we thought we'd give it a try and call 'em up and make a reservation, which we did and the reservation was made for Friday, the 21st of November 2014. They knew that water was slowly entering and that this was sort of an emergency (we did a great temporary repair with some rubber and emergency putty, so the leak stopped,) but we had to cancel a couple tours to get the boat out, get the jobs done and get back to tours. Since we were going to haul out to revise and repair all through hulls, we were going give the hull some new paint too so we asked Sunset Eco Boatyard to have the paint delivered there and ready for us. They said "no problema!" and we deposited $600 into their account to make the purchase of bottom paint. So we sailed into Caldera a few hours before our scheduled haul out time and two guys put on some masks and go underwater to check us out.

When they come up they decide to tell us that they will NOT HAUL US OUT UNTIL THE FOLLOWING MONDAY, the day we planned on sailing back to home base. I got on my phone and started calling the manager who I made the reservation with and to who I deposited the money too and he whispered, "Im in court, I'll have to call you back." He never ever EVER called back....

I had Sea Bird down there with 5 men ready to get to work and they wanted us to SIT there and wait. We said hell no, give us our paint and we'll go somewhere else, which was Sami Manley ....where, without a reservation they gladly hauled us out that afternoon.

Sunset Eco Boatyard was unable to FIND our paint we had paid for before we even arrived, so we had to leave without it. They still owe us a refund for the paint, but they say that they're keeping the money because it was a deposit for the haul out reservation...which they did not fullfill. It was not a deposit, it was for paint and it even said so on the deposit statement.

Anyway, don't use them. Go to Sami Manley or even the Yacht Club Costa Rica Yacht Club if you want good professional service on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica.

I really hope this post saves a future sailor from having to deal with those clowns.

Pura vida
Old 09-05-2017, 11:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: My experiences with haul out yards in Costa Rica, Pacific side

Dear SeaBird,

Just to clarified, your boat arrived late for your programed appointment and miss the tide, as well, our guys finished the daily and weekly work on a friday afternoon.

We did, as a good will gesture, delivered the paint to you on a saturday to Sami Manley Yard, 30 miles away at no charges.

We did give you the paint and we do not own you anything.

On the contrary you own us the booking fee for the schedule appointment that you miss.

Best regards.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 45' C&L Marine Explorer Staysail Ketch w/ a center cockpit. www.SeaBirdSailingExcursions.com
Re: My experiences with haul out yards in Costa Rica, Pacific side

Dear SEBY,

"your boat arrived late" you say? That is a lie and you know it. If it were true, then it would not have been possible for us to motor 50 or so kilometers over to the other boat yard to be hauled out the same day, because to get hauled out over there, we need the tide to be at its highest.
You were short staffed and failed to keep our reservation. The paint you sold us was **** also. Live and learn! Thanks for the lesson, pura vida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBY View Post
Dear SeaBird,

Just to clarified, your boat arrived late for your programed appointment and miss the tide, as well, our guys finished the daily and weekly work on a friday afternoon.

We did, as a good will gesture, delivered the paint to you on a saturday to Sami Manley Yard, 30 miles away at no charges.

We did give you the paint and we do not own you anything.

On the contrary you own us the booking fee for the schedule appointment that you miss.

Best regards.
Closed Thread

Tags
Costa Rica, enc, haul out