Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 10:19   #1

Boat: Sail Craft, Apache 41
FLORIDA MARINA DAMAGE REPORTS ONLY, PLEASE

Can a mod or admin set up a thread to collect damage reports from marinas and yards in Florida? I'm sur it would be helpful to everyone concerned.
Debgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:30   #2

Re: FLORIDA MARINA DAMAGE REPORT

Dinner Key Marina Post Irma - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:57   #3

Any word on Glades boat storage, did the yard fair okay. Worried about our boat, if anyone has been there or lives in the vacinity and update would be greatly appreciated!
nicholasd97330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 16:16   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debgen View Post
Can a mod or admin set up a thread to collect damage reports from marinas and yards in Florida? I'm sur it would be helpful to everyone concerned.
Debgen, it's not a bad idea, maybe one thread for pictures and text about particular marinas in Florida where people could check and see if their marina is mentioned. And others with information can post to it. The mods would be okay with it being this thread.

I do want to add a warning, though, as there are a number of brand new members who are wanting to find out about their boats. The purpose of this thread is to provide a single location, where information on Florida marinas can collectively be posted for people whose boats are there to see.

This thread should just stay open for information when and as it comes. It will take a lot longer than one thinks from a distance when one is worried about one's own boat.

If you are a new member looking for info about the marina where your boat is located, please start a new thread not using this thread and keep this one for marina info for everyone.

If everyone cooperates, we should be able to keep filing data as it comes available, but it will take all of you working together to do.

JPA Cate
Old 11-09-2017, 18:28   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: FLORIDA MARINA DAMAGE REPORTS ONLY, PLEASE

I've gotten word that Indiantown Marina, FL came away with no real issues. Just one Catalina who's headsail blew out. No pics to share.

BTW, thanks Matt for the intel.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 18:49   #6

Boat: T33, Nexus dory

From Facebook,

"Safe Cove earned its name for sure this weekend with very minimal damage in the boat yard!!! Hope everyone else held up as well as the boat yard did"

Cuban terrain, sheer, and the Goodland/Naples coastline did their part.
Tom-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:11   #7

Boat: Caliber 40
Burnt Store Marina between Ft Myers and Punta Gorda

8 PM Monday Sept 11

Burnt Store Marina 26.45N 82.03 W on Charlotte Harbor in the SW coast of Florida.

80 Mile south of Tampa Bay, 20 miles north of Ft Myers and 60 mile NNW of Irma's landfall.

300 boats in the marina and another 300 in dry storage

As far as I can see - one sailboat had a torn genoa but no other boat suffered any damage.

The storm initially sucked 3' of water out of the marina and the bigger boats were sitting on the bottom. Then The storm surge brought water to an inch above the seawall, which is 2' above normal high tide.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:20   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Harbortown in Fort Pierce reports all boats on the hard are still standing and all boats at slips are still floating. Minor damage reported to some of the docks.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:12   #9

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

The boats at Halifax Harbor in Daytona Beach appear to be in much better shape than were many after last year's storm. I saw only one torn headsail this year. It had been left on its furler and wrapped with halyards. In general, folks appear to have learned a big lesson after 2016's Hurricane Matthew.

The storm surge was greater this year but winds were not as fierce. Boats on both the floating docks and fixed docks appear to have survived with little, if any, problem.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:26   #10

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

MJ Sailing/Elements of Life has posted a report from IndianTown:
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:16   #11

Ft Lauderdale Bahia Mar , no issues and never lost shore power.
xhogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:40   #12

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

This is my experience.
My boat is in Westland Marina, Titusville, Just north of Cape Canaveral.
I live in Orlando and kept a close eye on the Melbourne radar, which showed many severe thunderstorms hitting the area with strong gusts and a few tornadoes. Very worrying, since there was no answer from the marina phone even after the storm.
Before Irma hit we had a text message from the marina office person, saying they were on lock-down and nobody was allowed in until further notice. I don’t know who the actual marina manager is, since they have had a revolving and dwindling staff over the past three or four months.
I drove over yesterday afternoon and observed the place from the nearest dock on the City Marina next door, and also the adjacent municipal park. The place was flooded, with water over the fixed docks in places, which understandably accounts for not allowing people back in, but would have been helpful to know, instead of, “We are not allowing any owners to enter until further notice!”
The same water surge also occurred with Mathew, so I fitted long lines, which allows my boat to rise and fall. She looked fine, but the work-boat next door had sunk and the one next to that had shredded it’s jib.
One boat had fallen over on the hard, (sorry, couldn’t see the name), but all others seemed okay. This also happened with Mathew and it is because most of the stands are not on concrete and the earth softens as it gets saturated. They charge extra to be on a concrete base and to be secured with straps.
There seems to be no damage in the City Marina, which has floating docks and all owners were able to get to their boats.
It looked like one boat had sunk on the City mooring field outside the marina entrance, but I couldn't tell if it was on a mooring or anchor.
I expect we will be notified when the water recedes and we can get in. But then the place will become a quagmire.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:26   #13

Boat: 1984 - Pearson 34

I have a 34 foot Pacific Seacraft at Crandon Park Marina. Word is that boats in that floating dock well protected Marina did well.
Richfef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 17:01   #14

Heard just a short while ago from Owl Creek Boat Works on the Caloosahatchee in Alva (about 20 miles west of Glades). Happy (translate: Relieved!) to report all boats are fine - lost some tin off a roof and there's no power - but, all in all, it's good...
BevB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 17:34   #15

I have a 33 ft. sailboat at Kennedy Point Marina in Titusville, fl. As luck has it, mine is still floating. Some were not. Pray for those who lost theirs. Sorry, no pictures.
twill1952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, lease, ports