Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 14:10   #76

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
Re: My first boat ... a Jeanneau 50?

We don't know what we don't know, but will learn as we go, whether on a dinghy or an aircraft carrier. We are not the op, be the has already figured out that the only way to learn honestly is do it, to hell with the nay sayers. Baby steps, but still steps. Hire a captain. or get a friend. Just go and wave at all the dock warriors on your way by. Unless they are out racing. That would bore many right there.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 14:29   #77
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Herein lies the problem.
You don't KNOW what you are missing.
There is a lot more to sailing than simply getting from one place to the next.
The only way you will ever find out to to take a walk on the wild side and sail small boats.
Just maybe you will learn something you did not read in a book or got while you were being spoon fed.
say what wait I think I understand

only your way is the real way
Old 05-03-2014, 14:41   #78

Boat: Pearson 365

I'm sure everybody remembers the Bumfuzzles. They actually got banded from this site because of their lack of concern. They took a sailing course, two weeks later bought a catamaran, then took it around the world. The nay sayers were having a fit. The bumfuzzles were having a good time. Yep, it was a big learning curve. I followed them from the start in 2004. It was really comical to see them in action. Sometimes I would be yelling at my laptop, "its the water pump impeller" . Well, he finally figured it out. When I bought our Hatteras, people said, get a 30 something ft to learn on. No way, its me having to live on this boat not you. Its no fun trying to dock this boat in 20-30 mpg wind either.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:05   #79

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
I'm sure everybody remembers the Bumfuzzles. They actually got banded from this site because of their lack of concern. They took a sailing course, two weeks later bought a catamaran, then took it around the world. The nay sayers were having a fit. The bumfuzzles were having a good time. Yep, it was a big learning curve. I followed them from the start in 2004. It was really comical to see them in action. Sometimes I would be yelling at my laptop, "its the water pump impeller" . Well, he finally figured it out. When I bought our Hatteras, people said, get a 30 something ft to learn on. No way, its me having to live on this boat not you. Its no fun trying to dock this boat in 20-30 mpg wind either.

If you are measuring wind in miles per gallon over there in South Carolina, that certainly doesn't sound like very much fun.
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:38   #80
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

My message to the original Poster:

Go for it!

Have fun! Live life! Enjoy your new 50 footer and stick it up these old buggers!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:46   #81

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Just get the right boat that works for you. It should be more fun than a pain, whatever fun means for you. Getting a boat that large, as a first boat for a singlehander, that's unusual.

Resale? 47 footer might sell better. no?

Life is short, do what you want, but a Jeanneau 50 sounds extreme.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 16:14   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I assume if you can afford a new Jeanneau 50, most likely you can afford someone to teach, and maybe even crew?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 17:40   #83

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

I sailed a little bit over the years with my brother who has owned sailboats from 12 feet to 50 feet over his 40 years of sailing. The bug didn't bite me until I started sailing on his Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit ketch. Guess what my first boat was? Yep, 1982 Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit ketch.

I wasn't intimidated by this boat as it was really the only boat I have actually docked and sailed or even really paid attention to while I was aboard. The advice I got from my brother if I was to go straight into this big (and heavy - 52,000 lbs.) of a boat was to remember to always plan what you are going to do, let everyone on board know what it is and always have a back up plan. (if possible). This advice has served me well. (This mostly applied to docking or maneuvering around others)

I have owned my boat now for 2 1/2 years and I know mostly how she will react in different conditions and if I believe the conditions present a circumstance that I have no viable back up plan to keep myself, my boat and surrounding boats safe, I simply don't go there. I think that is part of the responsibility of operating a bigger boat.

I think if the op is to go big, spend some time on a boat you would like to have and have someone with you that has experience with that boat until you feel comfortable with it. The boat will teach you what you need to know and if you take the advice that I got, you will not be someplace where you put others or their property at risk while you learn your boat.

Just a note from someone who went big.

Oh, I have flown and airplane before too, but not a 747. ;-)
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 18:12   #84

Boat: Able 50

Seatow has been doing great business lately. Those guys are really growing.
Sea Tow
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 19:23   #85

Boat: Oyster 55

Do you know if they considering an IPO?
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:09   #86

My old shipmate Bill used to say "discretion is the better part of valor" but he was always a bit of a bore. So sure, why not, go for it! Happy sailing!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:49   #87

I have followed this threat with some interest. As a 40something professional pilot who is also in the market for a Jeanneau 50DS, as my 1st boat.

Having sailed L26's, as a teen, on inland waters in South Africa. I was lucky enough to spend a few days crewing for an owner of a 35ft here in Dubai. Got me interested in sailing again. I came across a Jeanneau 44i at the Boat Show here. After some research and more boat shows, a 50DS worked its way to the top of the wish list.

Now, I need to backup a few spaces. Not only do I fly big jets for a living, but I have also been involved in pilot training for most of my career. So taking newly qualified cadet pilots and training them to take an airliner all over the world is what I have done for the last 15yrs. I know most people 'just buy a boat and go and give it a bash', but I am pretty sure at a career aviator who has invested many thousands of dollar into a boat is not about to just jump on a set off for Cape Horn!!

Back to my journey, once I realised that this is something I wanted, I set off to do it exactly how I would do it in aviation:- at school!!

I went back to Cape Town, and set about the RYA Day Skipper course. I took the view if you can sail in Cape Town, you can pretty much sail anywhere. I was pretty much right, everything from f2 to a full gale with 3m swells. Fun way to learn to put in and shake out a 3rd reef. I will say that 30 yrs of Met/Nav/Plotting/dealing with a crew/1st aid/how to handle and emergency etc was a huge leg up.

Now this is where the 'need to start in a dingy' group fall at the 1st hurdle. After two weeks on a Farr 38 and a Oyster 395, a week in a classroom, a radio license, Diesel engine and radar course, I seemed to cope pretty well on a Jeanneau 50DS I chartered in Greece in september. But following the aviation theme, just like flying a new type for the 1st time, I took a local skipper along. For 2 reasons; first, it was a holiday, I wanted to enjoy relaxing with alot of the local wines, but second, as a 'line check'.

I think the RYA Costal Skipper Course next year (again in Cape Town) and another long charter in the Med, I will be ready to ruin my bank manager's day. But again, once I own the boat, I will blow a few extra bucks on some experience to help me get totally comfy handling it. Also, keeping an eye on the met forecast etc, is not a new concept.

FYI:- It will be a long time before I head out of the waters of the Gulf. I pretty much plan an atlantic crossing, but the ARC seems the way to go.

What I do realise is that there seems to be a large party of the sailing community that seems to think the only way to tackle it is the 'go out and give it a bash' approach. I agree that, like in flying, there is no substitute for experience, but I am not looking to command a maxi racer in the roaring 40's. So with that said, I don't see why, with the right approach and training, a 50ft cant be your 1st boat.

Just my 5c worth, I will let you know how it goes. I also wish the OP all the best in his dream. I can relate
avi8tor_dxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd say one difference is you can't stall a boat, you can if fact simply come to a complete stop and contemplate things, maybe even back up and give it another try
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:01   #89

Should have learned in a helicopter!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:21   #90
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tor_dxb View Post
in the market for a Jeanneau 50DS,
Good boats! Have fun.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau