Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 03:18   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Pulling apart the interior of an Beneteau Oceanis 40

I'm going to double check the fuse setup on my bulkhead mounted TV after reading this.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:05   #17

check out boat prices in Croatia. sail the Med. forget about Australia. some great patches but too far apart. Greece is a pleasure ro sail the culural experience is great. the cost to get there is offset by low oring and storage fees
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:01   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I spent a few hours touring the plant in Marion last summer where my Jeanneau was being built. Same line as Beneteau.

The interior pieces are precision cut by computer-operated machines. The tolerances are small, and with a glue and screw, it's all very tight and rigid.

If it were me, I would try to purchase a new interior build kit from Beneteau or whomever they have licensed to produce replacement parts, demo the interior, then build it better than originally installed. Once I was down to the hull and molded lid, I would clean the surfaces with solvent, remove and replace any caulking, then apply a coating to seal in any remaining odor. While I was at it, I would reinforce/upsize structural elements as much as possible.

Sounds like a fun project, albeit a major one.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
I spent a few hours touring the plant in Marion last summer where my Jeanneau was being built. Same line as Beneteau.

The interior pieces are precision cut by computer-operated machines. The tolerances are small, and with a glue and screw, it's all very tight and rigid.

If it were me, I would try to purchase a new interior build kit from Beneteau or whomever they have licensed to produce replacement parts, demo the interior, then build it better than originally installed. Once I was down to the hull and molded lid, I would clean the surfaces with solvent, remove and replace any caulking, then apply a coating to seal in any remaining odor. While I was at it, I would reinforce/upsize structural elements as much as possible.

Sounds like a fun project, albeit a major one.
If the boat had been originally a stick built boat then the project would have been possible but probably much too expensive but a full liner built boat it almost impossible and financially wouldn't make any sense. Maybe rebuilding a Swan/Oyster/HR or similar boat might be worth looking at if the price was right but not a high volume production built boat like a Benni.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 13:48   #20

May or may not make financial sense, depending. As a practical matter, I did not see any work being done that I could not do myself if I had all the parts precut and the proper fasteners. I did not, however, see the lid being fitted out., surely a source of smoke deposit and stink.

Thinking about it more, to eliminate 100% of the odor, everything would have to be replaced or coated-- wiring, plumbing, fixtures. At that point, it wouldn't make any sense at all. Maybe if one could live with a slight odor.... To get a decent boat for little money. Say, the deductible the seller is out for what would surely have been a total loss..
Old 04-07-2016, 15:32   #21

Quote:
May or may not make financial sense, depending. As a practical matter, I did not see any work being done that I could not do myself if I had all the parts precut and the proper fasteners. I did not, however, see the lid being fitted out., surely a source of smoke deposit and stink.

Thinking about it more, to eliminate 100% of the odor, everything would have to be replaced or coated-- wiring, plumbing, fixtures. At that point, it wouldn't make any sense at all. Maybe if one could live with a slight odor.... To get a decent boat for little money. Say, the deductible the seller is out for what would surely have been a total loss..
I understand you saw the interior being installed in a similar boat which I'm sure was a fun experience, very few of us have toured a modern factory however what you may have missed is that the interior fiberglass was not the actual hull but a liner and this liner is glued to the hull so if odor or mold gets between the hull and liner its impossible to get at. If the heat of the fire compromised the glue bond in any area then its also very hard to repair.
Old 04-07-2016, 19:09   #22

makes sense. The few voids between the liner and the glass in my boat were filled. Doubt the Benes got the same attention. Even so, since the liner is non structural, wouldn't a fluid applied membrane solve the odor issue?

Seeing these things built, and talking with the men and women building them, took all the mystery out of it for me (except the navigation electronics, but I'm tech-challenged). The even let me video extensively, so I have a record of what is where. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a set of plans.
Old 04-07-2016, 21:58   #23

Quote:
makes sense. The few voids between the liner and the glass in my boat were filled. Doubt the Benes got the same attention. Even so, since the liner is non structural, wouldn't a fluid applied membrane solve the odor issue?

Seeing these things built, and talking with the men and women building them, took all the mystery out of it for me (except the navigation electronics, but I'm tech-challenged). The even let me video extensively, so I have a record of what is where. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a set of plans.
Actually the liner is structural and if it lost any bonding, it's glued in place, the boat structure would be compromised. The full liner type construction is one way the builders have really been able to reduce costs, the hull is thinner but the liner adds a great deal of strength. I don't know anything about a fluid applied membrane, sorry.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:20   #24

Boat: Timpenny 770 7.7m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
check out boat prices in Croatia. sail the Med. forget about Australia. some great patches but too far apart. Greece is a pleasure ro sail the culural experience is great. the cost to get there is offset by low oring and storage fees
I just have, rather than spending two months fixing this with no guarantee that it will eliminate the smell, I am now looking at Greece , Croatia or BVI - can buy a newer boat, sail it back, pay the duty and be better off.
Quietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:26   #25

Boat: Timpenny 770 7.7m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I'm going to double check the fuse setup on my bulkhead mounted TV after reading this.
I turn off all Chinese made appliances at the power point when not using them. I have been repairing various appliances and the compromises the Chinese are making when the manufacture stuff is alarming. Gone are the days of non combustible materials, they have very few fuses, shotty wiring.
Install a power outlet with a switch and turn it off.
Quietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:30   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietta View Post
I just have, rather than spending two months fixing this with no guarantee that it will eliminate the smell, I am now looking at Greece , Croatia or BVI - can buy a newer boat, sail it back, pay the duty and be better off.
Bingo!! A very wise decision IMO. Your estimate of two months is kinda arbitrary, and the results are surely questionable, and do not include possible serious structural issues from the fire. With those unknowns, your withdrawal from the deal is a good move.

Hope you can find another boat to love!

Jim
Old 05-07-2016, 05:47   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietta View Post

I Bingo with Jims Bingo.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 19:09   #28

Never really works. Once you think you smell it it stays in your Brain!
Alexi
alexisail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, interior, oceanis