Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 16:41   #1

Making way to Grenada from Bahamas Considered Coastal or Offshore

Hi Cruiser Forum crew-

I look to you for help with a question I have. I am getting closer to starting something of an adventure, perhaps in a year or so. I have writtten up here a big question, and it might be a "what is the right boat/boat prep" question, ultimately (offshore or coastal)... so I appreciate you bearing with me on this (your patience reading it...).

My plan is to:
  • Continue learning, reading, and sailing where I can as I transition my life (1 year or so more to this)
  • as I do that, find a boat that suits me (probably in FL). Then,
  • take the time I need to familiarize myself with the vessel I found,
  • sail it locally till I am ready,
  • all while fixing it up to the level I need it at (for safety, etc.)

and then, when the season is right, and with no schedule to keep:

Make way to the Bahamas, down to the USVI and BVI, and then head south to Grenada, and take it from there.

I realize there are a lot of steps in there. My experience, so far, is maybe 30 days of sailing with friends, and most of the ASA basic and advanced courses. That, and a lot of reading, so I need to take it all slow as I get more under the keel.

With all that in mind, and the experience I would need to get as I venture out, I would like to know how much "offshore" the trek down to Grenada is if you hit most of (or all) the Leeward islands along the way?

I ask this because I would like to know what the boat and I would need to be able to handle. I am considering a Pearson 365 (which seems to be considered a coastal cruiser by many) and wonder if it would be a fit for this.

I am open to any comments about the plan, my inexperience, etc..but mostly would like to know if any legs or sailing from FL, to Bahamas to Grenadines is considered offshore, or could it all be done as coastal cruising, waiting for the right weather windows.

I hope this question makes sense. And thanks again for your help letting me know how to prepare.

Peter
peters323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 16:49   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: Making way to Grenada from Bahamas Considered Coastal or Offshore

FL to Bahamas to Puerto Rico to St. Thomas to St. John to BVI to St. Martin and onwards South... I chartered in BVI, St. Martin, and St. Lucia. I would do minimum 36 foot vessel but 40+ would be ideal. Hope this helps
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 13:59   #3

Check out the YouTube video Sailing with Uma. They are essentially doing your trip but spent time in Haiti. They are in a Pearson. Very little long sails.
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 15:16   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

The trip from FLA to the eastern Caribbean is basically 900 miles to weather. Much of it into the teeth of the tradewinds, often with a lot of motoring or as many like to call it motor sailing.
Here's an alternative to consider. Buy a boat in FLA and do a season in the Bahamas. Then take the boat north to the Chesapeake for the summer. With your new boat and cruising experience fix the boat up to ready it for offshore and your needs. Then in the fall sail south from the Chesapeake to the Virgin islands - that would be an actual sail as opposed to motoring into the trades. Check out the rallies, such as the Salty Dawg rally.
Just an alternate approach to consider.
Old 25-07-2017, 19:48   #5

So far I like everything I am hearing and am going to dig into every option I get. Thanks guys.
Old 25-07-2017, 20:41   #6

Boat: Boatless

You have to realize that getting to Grenada is all uphill. Buy the boat in Grenada or Trinidad and then sail downhill back to the US.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 21:53   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

People that haven't tried going against the trades can't truly appreciate the uncomfortlness and difficulty in doing so. Hard on the boat, hard on the skipper and crew. Met a boat at Christmas island several weeks back, delivery skipper is planning on delivering it to Darwin, 1400nm directly into the july August trade winds, as I said I do not think people understand the reality of such a passage.
The passage you are talking about is called the thorny passage.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 21:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
You have to realize that getting to Grenada is all uphill. Buy the boat in Grenada or Trinidad and then sail downhill back to the US.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Completely agree, lot of boats for sale from St. Lucia to Florida. You and family will enjoy it a lot more coming West. I've seen many in anchorages that look like they have not moved in years. You could probably just borrow one and no one would ever know.
Old 28-07-2017, 11:18   #9

I have always thought of the trip from BVI to Grenada as south, and that the wind would be on the beam (port) and even a little aft, with the prevailing trades coming from the east and coming a little from the north. and that the trip BACK would be more of a trek upwind.

do i have that wrong? I was sailing in the Caribbean around both US and British VI, and that was the sense I got.
Old 28-07-2017, 12:19   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Between Trinidad and Barbuda it is roughly a beam reach; depending on timing, easier one way or the other (more EbN in trades in winter, more EbS to ESE in trades in spring).

Stuff below this line is always a bit to the lee. Easy to get there less so to climb back. Hence the names.

From Florida to Guadeloupe is always windward work.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 12:21   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

BTW I think a mix of coastal and offshore work.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Grenada, offshore