Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 08:45   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Leaving the boat for a few weeks in Grenada

I'm hoping to make a flight back to the states for a few weeks in late August to see friends, family, and the solar eclipse. It will be my first trip back since starting my adventure back in the Spring, and I'm really looking forward to it.

That said, the boat will be in Grenada in the middle of hurricane season, and I'll be rolling the dice. My present plan was to put her on two anchors somewhere relatively protected, take all my sails down, and have a fellow cruiser or two keep an eye on her while I'm away.

The other idea would be to haul her out, because I need to re-do the bottom paint and stuffing box anyway, and I could time it so that I'm on the hard for the few weeks I'm away.

I am also open to suggestions and advice from other foolish people who left their boats in hurricane territory for several weeks, so have at me!
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 12:12   #2

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2
Re: Leaving the boat for a few weeks in Grenada

It wasnt hurricane season.. But i did something similar and also left my van with a mate.. The deal was he was going to buy it off me and pay me slowly in exchange to also look after my boat which was also on the hard whilst i was away from the country
The hardstand the van was parked on was more than secure. Being gated and CCTV'd and not accessible etc. The insurance lapsed and i thought it would be fine and pointless me renewing it as i was selling it to him.
So.....
The river bank broke with loads of warning, but the guy was busy helping the marina staff welding up the pylons on the marina so the pontoons didnt float off and head down river.
The bank breaks the hard stand slowly fills up and my van is submerged. The boat on a cradle is fine as the flood was only up to the waterline. so 2.2 mtrs.
Obvioulsy the van was neglected and so was the agreement after that. No money had exchanged hands as yet. So i end up without a van.
Lesson being... Dont trust anyone to look after your stuff.
Sure you can put your boat on 2 anchors but if a storm kicks off and the other guys are busy they will be too busy for your boat as they will be on theirs or the immediate others.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 12:39   #3

Boat: Boatless

Spice Island Marina in Grenada has very good 'Hurricane stands' heavy steel frames with tie downs into the ground.

Less of a gamble than anchoring out.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 13:01   #4
cruiser

Didn't we just have another thread by a cruiser who left his boat anchored off Panama with some local cruising folks watching it?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 14:02   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The IGY at St Georges is hurricane "proof" as is Secret Harbor Marina.

IGY is better but may cost slightly more.

Both good sturdy concrete Docks.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 19:17   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I left my boat at Grenada Marine in St. Davids last hurricane season. Not a marina - just a boatyard but excellent security and i was very happy with the work they did on my boat.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 08:41   #7

I'm in Grenada Marine and have been for 3 years now. They offer what you want from a full cradle to props. All boats secured to concrete.
They have looked after me and before a recent storm went through the Island they took of my cover which covers the whole deck and replaced it when things had calmed down.
Very tempting to leave a boat at anchor but as others have said, when things get going you are own your own.
They let you work on your on boat as well, some don't I'm told.
Theoldvicarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 09:02   #8

Boat: Pearson

Haul your boat, secure her, relax on your trip. You need work anyway. If things get crazy our boat will be on the bottom of the list , everyone gets busy.
Old 18-07-2017, 09:15   #9

Haul it out, do your sanding before you leave, let it dry out. More bang for the buck. There's really nothing someone "watching" can do in a storm anyway. Your rode is good before the storm and they are not rowing out in the middle of the storm if it chafes thru.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 09:38   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450

Haul it out. In addition to the valid points above, if left on anchor you'd have break-ins and robbery to worry about. We were in Mt Hartman last year for the hurricane season and there were boat break-in every other week, often multiple ones with focus on non-attended/empty boats. Its still the same there (CSSN). If you leave your boat, best option is to haul it out.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 10:07   #11

Boat: Westsail 32

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

I've decided I'll haul out before leaving, as it seems to be the safest and more practical option.

Now it comes down to picking a Marina. I've contacted the one on Carriacou, as I've heard good things, but it would be a bit inconvenient in terms of getting to the airport on Grenada.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:03   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Hmmmm... Hard decision; haul out vs. doing a 'don't rain' dance to propitiate the hurricane god(s). Difficult call. I wonder what your insurance company might say. I'm pretty sure what mine (BoatUS) would say.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 13:52   #13

Just received this from Grenada Marine.
Dear Valued Customer.

Storm watches and warnings were issued for Tropical Storm Don with areas including Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada and St. Vincent. The warning means that tropical storm conditions are expected within 24 hours.

Presently, Grenada is under an official storm warning or watch. However, at Grenada Marine we are monitoring the weather closely and will proceed with our preliminary precautions.

We would like to take the opportunity to update you on the present status of the boatyard and in the same light extend our sincere apologies for any delays.

As the hurricane season is here, we would like to take this time to remind you of our basic storm preparation procedure.

When an official storm warning is issued, all staff members begin the process of checking and tightening straps, removing covers and securing items on the boats and in the yard. The office will send you emailed updates about the storm. We would not be able to respond to individual emails or telephone calls as our primary concern would be securing the boats in the yard.

Once the yard is closed, updates will be posted through our Facebook account http://www.facebook.com/grenada.marine which you can also access through a link on our website Grenada Marine. After the storm has passed, our priority would be contacting the owners of any damaged boats and inspecting all the boats.

Your patience and understanding during ​this​ time would be appreciated.

​Thank you for choosing Grenada Marine and have a great day!
​​

Thank you for choosing Grenada Marine.

Sincerely
Theoldvicarage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Grenada