Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 11:21   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Transit and store a boat in Panama for the season

Not sure this is the right forum...

I am looking at a boat on the west coast of Panama. It is 200nm from Panama city and I wanted to dry store it for the season. So some decisions;

Is it too late to safely transport to Panama City or to the Caribbean side for dry storage during the season?

Suggested places for managed dry storage? (Soemone to check on the boat and it is prepped for a storm.

Delivery skipper recommendations? I would like to make the transit, but probably can't get enough time off?

Thanks in advance,

Sam
slavanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 11:59   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Transit and store a boat in Panama for the season

All easily done and Shelter Bay Marina on the Caribbean side has safe dry or in the water storage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shel...ri#fpstate=lie

Not cheap but very safe...and no hurricaness in Panama.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 16:51   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Sam, if you cant get enough time off to transit the boat...how will that change in the future?

Shelter Bay as recommended is good, but not cheap, option. Other options in Atlantic coast include PanaMarina and Linton Bay Marina.

Only two hurricanes in Panamanian waters in recorded history. Only one made land fall in Panama. The other generated some strong winds (not hurricane strength). So, not a big concern. Lightening is way more likely to be an issue in the summer months.

If you do buy it, let me know, I live in Panama.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 17:36   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Where is the boat now? Wx in Pacific Panama is pretty mild, maybe it could stay where it is? I would also think about moving it up to Golfito CR. Dry storage is only going to be at Shelter Bay, a long expensive trip. The yard in Panama City would not store a Cal 39.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 18:29   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

I bet Belizesailor would do this for a lark.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 21:14   #6

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

I am 2.5 years away from retirement and up-sizing from a Cal 39 mark 3.

The boat is in Boca Chica and I know it will need some work and I will spend some time overseeing the work and I will take time to transit it back to the states where I will finish and refit and upgrades.

When I will spend some time commuter sailing around Florida and the Caribbean and start my cruise in the Bahama, Puerto Rico, Windwards, ABCs, Panama, Grenada... don't know if I will ever go back through the Canal

Shelter Bay seems to be about SF Bay Area rates so not cheap, but... it is what it is.

I know Panama is 'hurricane free' but the insurance companies are asking all sorts of questions. Any suggestions on that?

I will keep you informed. If any one knows the boat Oye Coma Va, a Beneteau 473, that is the boat I am hoping is my retirement option.

Cheers, Sam
slavanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 21:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I bet Belizesailor would do this for a lark.
Maybe... [emoji41]
Old 13-07-2017, 21:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavanaway View Post
I am 2.5 years away from retirement and up-sizing from a Cal 39 mark 3.

The boat is in Boca Chica and I know it will need some work and I will spend some time overseeing the work and I will take time to transit it back to the states where I will finish and refit and upgrades.

When I will spend some time commuter sailing around Florida and the Caribbean and start my cruise in the Bahama, Puerto Rico, Windwards, ABCs, Panama, Grenada... don't know if I will ever go back through the Canal

Shelter Bay seems to be about SF Bay Area rates so not cheap, but... it is what it is.

I know Panama is 'hurricane free' but the insurance companies are asking all sorts of questions. Any suggestions on that?

I will keep you informed. If any one knows the boat Oye Coma Va, a Beneteau 473, that is the boat I am hoping is my retirement option.

Cheers, Sam
Good, that makes more sense.

Dont know the boat, but do know the Boca Chica area (beautiful). Is it on a mooring there?

Insurance companies can be pretty dense about such things. Just answer their questions and see what they say.

Provided its tended to by someone, I would leave it in Boca Chica till you have more time. Then move it for a refit...which you can do near Panama City or on the Carib side.
Old 14-07-2017, 09:07   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Nothing in panama city or close by. Once you transit be ready to keep going or be living aboard.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 09:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Nothing in panama city or close by. Once you transit be ready to keep going or be living aboard.
Huh?

There are boat yards, chandleries, marinas, anchorages, lots of related services...nothing?
Old 14-07-2017, 10:19   #11

There is a haulout a dry storage at Boca Chica, professional and safe. South. East of Panama. City is a good storage facility at Rio Bayano. Both are the best value options in Panama. The Pacific coast of Panama has a lot of options, if I were you I would choose Boca Chica.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 12:58   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Lserpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavanaway View Post
Not sure this is the right forum...

I am looking at a boat on the west coast of Panama. It is 200nm from Panama city and I wanted to dry store it for the season. So some decisions;

Is it too late to safely transport to Panama City or to the Caribbean side for dry storage during the season?

Suggested places for managed dry storage? (Soemone to check on the boat and it is prepped for a storm.

Delivery skipper recommendations? I would like to make the transit, but probably can't get enough time off?

Thanks in advance,

Sam
I would never leave a boat unattended in Panama. Only exception would be Red Frog Marina, in Bocas del Toro, under the Cate and supervision of Steve van Riensburg (surname TBC).
Lserpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 13:26   #13

Boat: halmatic 30

As already stated there's a haul out facility available in Boca Chica. Don't know if they can handle your size boat thought. They deal with deep sea angling boats mainly but have some yachts on hard.Call Carlos the owner there he can advise you he's very helpful. They also have moorings there. This is a very safe area in Panama to leave a boat. I was there for months last year didn't have or hear of any problems.
spraoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 13:33   #14

Security at Rio Bayano, Boca Chica, Shelter Bay, Flamenco, Linton Bay, Bocas Marina is first world and top shelf. In addition various companies, eg Gente de Mar on the Pacific side, offer very professional yacht sitting services. Panama does have what cruisers want if you know who to ask.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 13:56   #15
Marine Service Provider

I've heard that insurance premiums for hurricanes are not generally charged within 11 degrees or so north latitude. Check your insurance, you may be good to go if not north of 11 degrees, but even if you are get a weather window and then go for it.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Panama