Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 11:06   #1

Boat: 2019 Saona 47
Living aboard and the impact on sailing

I am curious how the decision to live aboard ultimately impacts on the amount of time spent out sailing.

Personally, I can't wait to be aboard and heading out for a sail at every opportunity, boating is more of a recreation, not a home. I can imagine that some are far less likely to cast off the lines and head out for a day sail or a short overnight when it involves your home.

Do those who have made this move find this to be true or just the opposite?
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 11:10   #2

Re: Living aboard and the impact on sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTemp View Post
.......................I can imagine that some are far less likely to cast off the lines and head out for a day sail or a short overnight when it involves your home. ......................
It would depend completely on the people involved. Many topics of this nature indicate that responders range from

--- My boat is always ready to go within 5 minutes

to

---- I do less sailing because I have to clean up

Kinda like your buddies when you were a kid. One guy always couldn't come out 'cuz he hadda clean up his room.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 11:20   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27

Two modes for my boat generally: sailing and living. You get somewhere and all the daily-life-stuff starts coming out; all the boat gear gets put away. Then when you're ready to move again, you get all the gear back out and put the boat shipshape.

When out anchoring and cruising I've found less of a distinction then when in marinas stateside.

As Stu said, YMMV. If you're big into sailing everyday you'll probably always keep it in a decent state of readiness.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 11:44   #4

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Great question as we just purchased our liveaboard and are hoping to do frequent weekend sailing when its not bloody hot on the Chesapeake. We won't have RV sized 120V refrigerators or other big items. The hope is that we basically stick our laptops in their bags, clear the kitchen counters and be ready to go without a lot of drama. We have a half boat share in the Virgin Islands. That boat is ready to get off the dock within a couple hours of us arriving.

But, if I add in an actual electric toaster, electric ice maker... mostly kitchen bits then things get a bit more complex to put away. It seems like a decent plastic tote or two should be able to hold all that. We have room in a crew berth sized cockpit locker for a couple of totes, until that gets filled with other essential gear. Add in a Honda generator to run a/c to chill the boat after cooking dinner... might need to store spinnaker, suitcases, extra anchor and some other odds and ends in a small storage unit. But, I'd still like to live on the boat without having gear that we don't actually use and paying to store it.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 14:38   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

If you're in a marina, this might be fairly easy. If you're at anchor in a crowded spot, I can see this might be different. I live aboard and sail/race just about every weekend. The key for me is to keep life simple. I don't really need a boat load of clothes, shoes, pots, pans, books, gear galore and more. Some other things in my favor include having a good grocery store 5 min away, and an office nearby where I can keep all my dive and bike gear and other weighty stuff. I do have to tidy up a bit before I leave the dock (put the electric burner away, take the kayak off the deck, stow the electric heater) but these are things I mostly did anyways before I lived aboard full time.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 14:53   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

On a cat when day/weekend sailing in reasonably sheltered waters, you don't have to worry about packing anying away. Just cast off and head out
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 14:57   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We've lived aboard for all of our adult lives and we remain able to leave the dock within the length of time it takes for our engine to warm after starting.

-start the engine - turn our TV 90* in it's cabinet and wedge in a throw pillow - lay down one lamp - disconnect the shore power cord - reduce the dock lines - depart....

I normally tend to the sail covers and ready the halyards while Nancie is maneuvering away from the docks.

We do have a car parked ashore now, but we had not owned one for the past 15 years. 'nothing in a dock box and usually nothing on the dock, but I must confess that my folding bicycle is out there right now.

Oh no! Nancie talked me into raising a string of Christmas lights up to the masthead for the holiday spirit and I've moved my kayaks to the bow to gain access for a project adding some pad eye tie downs on my fore deck.

No,- I'm not at my best at this time!
Old 15-12-2016, 15:03   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The answer lies somewhere in the question of "how long does it take for the newness of something to wear off for you (& your friends)"? Perhaps along with "how many other boats do you have available to play on, or get dragged out sailing on"?

If you really love to sail, then you'll be on the water much of the time. Be it on your boat, or another. But if you get distracted by other things... well, you know what'll happen.

The "easy fix" (to keep your addiction alive) is to catch the racing bug Then after a bit you'll only be "home" long enough to do laundry, & check your mail. Ask me how I know

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 15:05   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Living aboard and the impact on sailing

When I live aboard I like to be in what I call cruise mode.. ready to go at half hours notice.. basically this just involes good house keeping.. when you've finished with something.. put it away.
Its a relatively small area so clutter is a pain..
Right now I live ashore coz the fore cabin is an empty hole.. the salons littered with tools and the aft cabins full of allsorts..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 18:48   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If you're not living aboard then you're living somewhere else.
Compare the amount of time spent readying your live aboard boat versus the amount of time spent packing up what you want to bring from your abode and the time spent transporting yourself and your stuff to the boat.

Simpler to live aboard for me.
Old 15-12-2016, 19:18   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
If you're not living aboard then you're living somewhere else.
Compare the amount of time spent readying your live aboard boat versus the amount of time spent packing up what you want to bring from your abode and the time spent transporting yourself and your stuff to the boat.

Simpler to live aboard for me.
OMG, this is so true. Before now, there was stuff scattered between a house, car, storage and boat (and at one time, a friend's house where I was cat sitting). Indubitably, something was forgotten or something else needed. Better to have everything on the boat!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 19:24   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Do you sail every day? Nope.
Being a liveaboard does mean having to clean up before sailing.
But even as a liveaboard (prior to cruising full-time) I still sailed more often than most people in the marina.

So ... I would say, probably not as much as you imagine but more as often or more often than the average weekend warrior.
Old 15-12-2016, 20:22   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Feeling poetic:

We sail at anchor or underway.
whatever we feel, just makes our Day.

Noisy neighbors, polluted bay, we check the breeze and I'm on my way.

Nice Beach, new friends, Crabs for dinner ..... best to stay.

Pigeon holes are not allowed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1481861874557.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	138071   Click image for larger version

Name:	1481861913504.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	138072  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1481862018386.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	138073   Click image for larger version

Name:	1481862094220.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	138074  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 23:49   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Being a liveaboard does mean having to clean up before sailing.
On the other hand, living aboard means not having to drive x minutes or hours between home and the boat before going sailing. And you get to live in a nicer neighborhood with nicer water views.

Jim
Old 16-12-2016, 00:18   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

My observations have been that liveaboards don't frequently sail but are occasionally "obliged" to make voyages such as to Mexico or far southwest into the Pacific Ocean from here (San Francisco estuary).

Tags
living aboard, sail, sailing