Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2016, 05:23   #1

Boat: dreaming of 40-60 ft. monohull
Sailing school/course, Mediterranean - ADVICE NEEDED

Hi all,

Could you share some advice on good sailing school / course for a beginner in Croatia, Montenegro or Greece.

I was thinking about engaging 2 week course for obtaining Bareboat Skipper Sail (IYT) organized by navigare-yachting charter (Navigare sailing school - Navigare Yachting).
Primarily, I want to obtain good knowledge and skills. In the meantime I have enrolled in a sailing club to learn the basics and practice sailing on a river in micro-class boats.

About me, I am 29y living in Belgrade (Serbia). This year I went on a 2 week sailing holiday around the Cyclades (Greece). It was not the typical relaxing holiday cruise as we had force 6-7-8 most of the time. Anyway, it left me permanently "damaged" and dreaming of sailing 24/7. In the long run, I would like to obtain necessary licences, quit my office career, and get a crew job (for start) on some of the sailing yachts.

Thanks!
AndrejM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 05:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Sailing school/course, Mediterranean - ADVICE NEEDED

Welcome to CF Andre!

You should have a few here at least that have advice in this area...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:41   #3

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!
Re: Sailing school/course, Mediterranean - ADVICE NEEDED

Hi André,

Aegina Sailing School (Aegina Island - easy to get to) has very good RYA instructors and boats in good to very good condition, all about 40'. You are usually 3-5 with an instructor on board for five days and five nights, stopping in different ports along the way.

If you sign up for two-weeks, you can take navigation, marine radio, and or other classes the weekend.

Elena is a superb coordinator. If you want more high-level (racing) sail trim techniques, ask for Mark. If you want someone who will teach you the ABC's in detail, ask for Alex. If you want an old-salt type who will, with utmost calm and demeanor, give you learnings taught to him by Poseidon himself, ask for Vassilli.

The seas around Aegina are wonderful too. The boats usually stop for lunch and you can take a dip in a quiet bay.
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mediterranean, sail, sailing, sailing school, school