Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 21:16   #1

Novice Sailor, but eager to learn

Hi Guys-

Finally decided to bite the bullet, quit my job and go explore the world!

Experience: Well, as a kid, I spent my summer opti-ing around Cape Cod, MA, but I haven't actually sailed on my own since. Besides that, I'm happier on a boat than anywhere else and I don't get sea sick.

About me: (F, 28Y/O) Based in Boston (but not for long). Leaving my job and my apartment at the end of July and would like to ideally make it to New Zealand, but happy to see where the wind blows me. I spent the majority of post-grad years co-founding a software company that sadly ran it's course last year. Picked up the pieces, landed a job, saved some cash and now I'm ready to go find some adventures.

Skills: I'm a team player, so I'll help however I can. I cook, I can clean, I teach yoga if you're into that, I love adventure and I'm good company.

Looking to set sail any time after Aug 1. Let me know if you've got space!

F
Old 04-05-2016, 21:20   #2

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Novice Sailor, but eager to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrell View Post
Hi Guys-

Experience: Well, as a kid, I spent my summer opti-ing around Cape Cod, MA, but I haven't actually sailed on my own since. Besides that, I'm happier on a boat than anywhere else and I don't get sea sick.

About me: (F, 28Y/O) Based in Boston (but not for long). Leaving my job and my apartment at the end of July and would like to ideally make it to New Zealand, but happy to see where the wind blows me. I spent the majority of post-grad years co-founding a software company that sadly ran it's course last year. Picked up the pieces, landed a job, saved some cash and now I'm ready to go find some adventures.

Skills: I'm a team player, so I'll help however I can. I cook, I can clean, I teach yoga if you're into that, I love adventure and I'm good company.

F
Welcome to CF young lady. We were all a novice once. some of us still are.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:19   #3

Quote:
Hi Guys-

F
I may have a spot for you aboard my 44 foot ketck and enjoy teaching people to sail. (j_burki@yahoo. Com.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:21   #4

Boat: kelly peterson 44

Quote:
Hi Guys-

F
PM me i am leaving shelter bay panama in late august for ecuador for a haulout then on to the galapagos and south pac in feb 44ft kelly peterson i usually sail single handed but am considering 1 crew for this trip.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Twin mast 17m motor sailor

We are planning an Ocean Safari of about 3 months. If you are interested send me
your contact number to +27609741414. PF
Old 11-05-2016, 02:13   #6

LOL...welcome aboard miss. A friend of mine told me I'd be better off hitching a ride (to keep it clean) with a bikini...I've been looking for months and look at the offers you're picking up, more than I have in that whole time! Keep your wits about you and stay safe and have fun. You're looking to start out after the storm season sets in, so it may be slim pickings until October.

What these sea dogs AREN'T saying is that in the Caribbean, the majority stay close to home after June, and "Winter" in safe harbors until some time in October. That's when they will begin heading for the canal and passage out to the Pacific for a run sometime February or after. General trends mind you. I'm working my way down Central America by land and sea until Panama where I still hope to pick up a ship. If I don't find a berth quickly, I plan to rig and outfit a fisherman's skiff best I can and set out solo. I could wait until next year's season but I don't want to. I'm crazy like that. Not recommending you tag along, as a matter of fact it's not on the table if I go that reckless, but sharing a few tips since I've been researching this trip for over a year now, originally planned to solo sail until a boat fell thru then funds ran low to buy another.

I will throw out there, I can provide stateside references that I'm a total gentleman, no matter your appearance or preferences, in the event you find someone heading that way wanting to take on a "couple" for watch crew etc. I have seen a couple posts for that effect here or another forum, I forget which.

Safe sailing!

L.Y.G.E.R. | Shades of Gray Photography & Publishing | Official website & store for Independent Author & Photographer L.Y.G.E.R., a Traveler without a Passport
Old 20-05-2016, 06:57   #7

Boat: Island Packet 320. 33'

Hi, Looking for 1 or 2 crewmembers to spend July & Aug sailing from Deltaville Virginia to Bar Harbor Maine & return. Leaving Virginia 1 July to arrive in New York City for the July 4th Fireworks. After leaving NYC with a stop in Newport Rhode Island, I plan to sail to Portland Maine to begin the island hopping to Bar Harbor. Planning to sail directly back to Virginia after leaving Bar Harbor. My boat is an Island Packet 320 completely refitted in 2014 with electric head. If you want to join me in August and if you want to sail the coast of Maine, please let me know. Jeff

Tags
novice, sail