Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 16:50   #1

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Sail recommendation for a stinkpot

Delfin has a mast with stiff legged stays, as you can see in the photo below. We'll be going down the west coast to the Sea of Cortez, then likely Hawaii either late this year on next, and I would very much appreciate any recommendations on a sail you could envision flying when the wind is abaft the beam. We won't be clawing off any lee shores with this - just getting a boost from the wind under power and also having the option of getting home without power, assuming home is someplace downwind. The luff is only 27', so will need a pretty big foot to make much difference, although the hull is incredibly easily driven.

I've rigged running backs, so no problem there, but any advice on cut and cloth would be very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delfin.jpeg
Views:	467
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	186000  
Old 15-02-2019, 16:53   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sail recommendation for a stinkpot

With the mast so far forward and a short luff it will be hard to get useful sail area with a conventional sail. You might consider one of the various kite type rigs or a parasailor (sp?). I don't have any personal experience, but those sail types could get you some downwind sail area up and flying.

Jim
Old 15-02-2019, 16:55   #3

Boat: Leopard 39

A really gorgeous vessel. I would consult a few riggers.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 17:00   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
A really gorgeous vessel. I would consult a few riggers.
+1 I also would talk to a good sailmaker who can work in with a good rigger.
Could look good with a gaff rigged main.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 17:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
With the mast so far forward and a short luff it will be hard to get useful sail area with a conventional sail. You might consider one of the various kite type rigs or a parasailor (sp?). I don't have any personal experience, but those sail types could get you some downwind sail area up and flying.

Jim
I thought about that option Jim, but they seem like they might be quite a trick to get flying, but I have no clue whether that is true or not.

I "think" I can get around 11 hp from a main and headsail that has a 26' foot. The boom, by the way, extends 4' (it's how I get the Whaler off the foredeck). I know that amount of sail area doesn't sound like a lot, but she only needs 44 hp to go 6+ knots, so I "think" I might see a 1/2 gph reduction in fuel and maybe a couple of knots with a 15 knot breeze in a broad reach.
Old 15-02-2019, 17:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
+1 I also would talk to a good sailmaker who can work in with a good rigger.
That is definitely the next step, but the amount of expertise and knowledge from forumites is significant, so it can't hurt to see if anyone has solved a similar problem. A drifter/reacher suggests itself, but I have little experience with them. The last one I had on my sailboat years ago may now be floating somewhere in the mid Pacific, contributing to the pollution...
Old 15-02-2019, 17:21   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’d lean towards a sort of asym kite in a sock. Nice big fat head and full belly.

And if you ever tire of your boat, and I have enough cash on hand I’ll gladly take her off your hands.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 17:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’d lean towards a sort of asym kite in a sock. Nice big fat head and full belly.

And if you ever tire of your boat, and I have enough cash on hand I’ll gladly take her off your hands.
That is probably a great idea SM. Much obliged!
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 19:15   #9

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Is that a rohmsdal or malahide hull? Beautiful vessel. What's the engine and history?
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 19:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
Is that a rohmsdal or malahide hull? Beautiful vessel. What's the engine and history?
Romsdal, built in 1965 in Norway. I purchased her in 2003 as an empty hull, but she had a new Cat 3306 and northern lights genset. Refitted her over the next four years, and thank you for the compliment.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 08:34   #11

You could try a wishbone boom type sail on the foremast.
Look at the Nonsuch cat boat, some of the early Freedom rigs and others.
I worked for a pleasure trawler builder and we rigged one on a 55ft. boat and it worked very well for all the reasons you mentioned.

A wishbone rigged sail is 'self-vanging', meaning the boom does not lift with wind in the sail, and they can be cut very flat for anti-roll.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 09:07   #12

This hull appears to be a very little "modernized" form of what Scowegians know as a "Nordsøkutter". Brixham trawlers are very similar. Before engines, such as the Hundested one-lungers, came within economic reach of the fisherfolk on the shores of the North Sea, these boats were usually rigged as gaff ketches, and they did well ranging as far as the Faeroes and Iceland.

After the introduction of engines for a period of 80 or more years, the rig was usual retained and used to steady the boats. There is no reason that you cannot rearrange your spars, which obviously do not contemplate the carrying of canvas, to make her a gaff ketch. It would seem a bit much to move your mainmast, and given it's positioning you would IMO need a mizzen to balance the helm, even when the wind is considerably aft of the beam. Given the height of your house, she'd look odd with a boom of sufficient length.

As delivered from the yard, if I am not mistaken, these boats had a sail setting on the forestay and wung out. For what you say you want it for, such a sail would probably do you just as much good as a Marconi "main" made to the dimensions you have available.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 09:29   #13

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

Quote:

Me too
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 10:18   #14

Check with one of the used sail brokers like sail warehouse. A sock is a definite plus making it easy to to set and stow. You can fly a conventional spinnaker without a pole close to dead downwind but won't be able to reach effectively with it. An asymmetric is best for any reaching heading. You'll also make better time reaching and jibing than you would sailing dead downwind, unless you have the engine on. Get as close to a 180% sail to maximize your light air performance.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 11:09   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

Yes, or even a Code Zero cut to your rather unusual setup. I think your idea of a "hybrid" setup will in fact cut your fuel bill considerably, with the added bonus of smoothing out your ride. You may also consider if you have room for a mizzen staysail on that aft mast.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sail