Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 13:27   #1

Boat: Hanse 531
Different Cultures of Sailing

It's so very fascinating to read the threads on this forum because I've never realized sailing can be such a different concept depending on where you live. (Or is it really? Are we all still basically chasing the same dream, though in different environments?)

I think a lot of participants here are US based so both sailing grounds/destinations and boats are very exotic to me (living in Finland, EU), and that's peculiarly gratifying

Here in Finland I think most people want boats that are conservatively sized and have quite a shallow draft (mostly below two meters) because a lot of us just zigzag across our immense archipelago, which is very beautiful but filled with rocks and usually quite shallow.

We have excellent markers and charted routes, though, so it's not very difficult although it might look difficult at first.

So, here's a toast to sailing!

It's wonderful to read about all of your small and big adventures, and I guess although we have different cultures we do have a lot in common.

Attachment: part of Finland's most beautiful sailing grounds on a chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Archipelago_Finland.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	509.6 KB
ID:	176960  
Old 07-09-2018, 13:33   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch
Re: Different Cultures of Sailing

That chart! Good heavens!!

Fair winds and keep an eye on the depth sounder!
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 14:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

they call us "Mud Hoppers" here in the uk with such a big tidal range~6m sailing from drying harbour to drying harbour,using the strong tidal currents and prevailing winds to get up and down the coast.
traditional boats are all designed to take the bottom with legs that are attached midships to the hull,or lay alongside a quay.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 14:23   #4

Great question :
Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
I've never realized sailing can be such a different concept depending on where you live. (Or is it really? Are we all still basically chasing the same dream, though in different environments?)
I read once that there are about 10,000 people circumnavigating at any one time. Given the 7,600,000,000 people on the earth that is not very many.

What are the similarities of that small group?

Does love of adventure and eccentricity fit in there anywhere?

Rand
Old 07-09-2018, 14:42   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Love of adventure, search of freedom and liberty come to my mind.
However you do it, enjoy!
Old 07-09-2018, 14:44   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Great question :

I read once that there are about 10,000 people circumnavigating at any one time. Given the 7,600,000,000 people on the earth that is not very many.

Rand
I don't think the number is anywhere near 10,000. When we were in South Africa doing our rtw and no one was going the Red Sea route I doubt there were more than 100 boats transiting. If we assume an average of 2.3 people per boat (scientific fact) that would be 230 people. If was assume an average circumnavigation time of five years (I think it might be a bit less), then you have around 1000 people in the act.
Old 07-09-2018, 23:04   #7

Just for the fun of it I checked MarineTraffic's AIS data.

When filtering for vessel type: pleasure craft and navigational status: underway by sail, I got 362 boats
Old 07-09-2018, 23:40   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Just for the fun of it I checked MarineTraffic's AIS data.

When filtering for vessel type: pleasure craft and navigational status: underway by sail, I got 362 boats
Maybe that's 362 boats with AIS in Scandanavia who are out sailing. I'm pretty sure it isn't for the whole world. If you look at the areas where there lots of boats all over the world, you'll probably see more.

I also sort of think "adventure" is something other people put on cruising behavior. Back in 1983, Jim and I sailed in his 30 foot Yankee, from San Francisco to Oahu, and then Kauai, and return. A guy from the newspaper said it was adventurous, but for me, I didn't think of it that way. It was just an extension of coastal cruising, but with a huge difference, returning to SF. Spending 21 days at sea (of which I was seasick 19) really changed my perceptions.

Long time ago, and over 150,000 n. mi.

Independent, a bit eccentric, sure.

Ann
Old 08-09-2018, 02:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Maybe that's 362 boats with AIS in Scandanavia who are out sailing. I'm pretty sure it isn't for the whole world. If you look at the areas where there lots of boats all over the world, you'll probably see more.
Yes, some kind of filtering issue I think. The data is global but the filtering options are quite limited in the free version... I want to solve this, though.

Quote:
I also sort of think "adventure" is something other people put on cruising behavior. Back in 1983, Jim and I sailed in his 30 foot Yankee, from San Francisco to Oahu, and then Kauai, and return. A guy from the newspaper said it was adventurous, but for me, I didn't think of it that way. It was just an extension of coastal cruising, but with a huge difference, returning to SF. Spending 21 days at sea (of which I was seasick 19) really changed my perceptions.
Seasick for 19 days sounds terrible. How did you ever want to go back on a boat?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:17   #10

I am from where the amazon river meets the atlantic.
fernandosmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:35   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

I think sailing is just about the same everywhere: there is that rock and then the wind veers. The rock is dangerous (only should you touch it) and you need to know how to sail round it in the veering wind.

Now the other thing, the social, cultural, historical factors ABOUT sailing can be VASTLY different and locale dependent.

In some places, sailing came from owning pleasure yachts. Things are classy and you are generally expected to subscribe to a body of antiquated visions of what proper seamanship is. And you are entitled to some rum in your tea.

In other places, sailing grew from owning small fishing or otherwise craft: everybody has a boat, be it a sailing boat, a skiff, or a canoe. Nobody gets too posh about boats because everybody else knows just about as much about them. You are given no extra credit for 'being a sailor', and you drink hot black dense coffee from a mug to warm up, not tea and rum.

In yet other places, sailing has no historical background. Their fathers were farmers and them kids got some financing from the ECB. The kids got them boats, where they will now get a couple of beers on the weekend, in the cockpit (hence the popularity of 'the Mediterranean cockpit') and that's that. Sailing anybody? Eh, yes they are all sailors ;-). Note beer vs. tea vs. coffee.

In yet other places sailing is just what it was in the EU or in the US a hundred years ago: the fisherman has a boat and the sponge diver has another. They know what they are doing and when asked if they are sailing they give you just this one long look. You should know better. Local drink: water.

So, yes. While sailing is just sailing (exactly like the spade!) then the other things, which are called 'sailing' by the ignorant crowd, will vary wildly from place to place.

I like your question a lot. For now that we have agreed on which Rocna anchor to use on which Lagoon cat, we can go back to talking about sailing.

U owe me a glass of rhum for this brief introduction. Add no tea please to my coffee mug though. If all the rhum is gone, I will do with some water.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:31   #12

barnakiel--

Oh wow, I love your comment

Now I can only hope that a) someday we meet and b) on that day I'm not all out of rhum.

As to the why of it, here's HanseYachts CEO Jens Gerhardt's comment, that I kindly like:

Quote:
“Your kids will love it and you will love it too, because your kids will engage with you again,” he says. “On the open ocean, there is no wi-fi. They will discover nature again, they will discover you again, and they will discover themselves again. There is nowhere that a family is better together than on a boat.”
(Maybe a best-case scenario, though, since I've heard a lot about kids who do have wifi, and usually spend most of their time down below with their iPads.)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:02   #13

Mglonnro and Barnkiel, you guys nailed it.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:18   #14

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

After fixing and living on the boat for the last 4 years we finally left the dock this past summer.

Now we're originally from an area (US east coast) where there are masses of people/boats/harbors/marinas and all the accoutrements that go along with them. Sailing on the west coast (mostly British Columbia, CA) was magical, a whole new world.

There are no people, except in small enclaves. Most harbours we stayed in had no boats except our own. The depths here in the Pacific Northwest are astounding 90 feet depth right off the shore. We learned to stern tie, we ate oysters right off the rocks in the cove we tied up in. We found lonely abandoned house foundations, we found lovely old apple orchards with no house in sight. We saw the Milky Way every night.

So our previous definition of sailing was a very civilized, organized, social one. We've since refindefined sailing as self sufficiency, wonder and awe, challenging, a whole new description.

And I'm sure the word means something else in Australia and Norway and South Africa.

So I agree with you - when we say the word sailing it seems to be a term we can all agree on, but I learned this past summer that it's very different things depending on where you sail.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:57   #15

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Great question :

Rand
I suggest, mostly eccentric.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing