Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 21:32   #1

Sailing school help

Hi Fellow Sailors...

Long time lurker, first time typer and looking for a little help. I for years, like many here, have dreamed of sailing off into the sunset to places unknown, but being in land locked Canada has made it a little more difficult. So, I came up with plan. Four years ago I bought a 22' Tanzer and have been sailing it around the lakes of Alberta learning the ins and outs and been loving it!!! Now, I feel like graduating to the open ocean and purchasing my dream boat. Problem is, I don't know what that dream boat is, and know enough NOT to ask the forum to suggest best boats for me. I've read enough of those posts to know the answer is dependent on my needs and wants. So that's what I want to do. Find out what my needs and wants are. So the plan going forward is the desire to charter a few different boats on a few different vacations and see what I think. And, in order to do this I need to have some certifications which leads me to my question.

On the west coast of Canada I've found plenty of schools and plenty of designations and it seems a little overwhelming. CYA (sail Canada) ASA, ISPA, and even RYA are available. So, I'm wondering, what is the difference or benefits or are they pretty much the same? CYA seems the most obvious as they are the most numerous but a couple charter companies I looked into don't recognize them, and, although they do have cruising courses, they seem rather focused on racing.

I should add that chartering isn't my only reason for wanting to take classes. I also plan on learning something, and it will help with insurance.

So, I'm curious what are others experiences or thoughts are. Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for schools on the west coat of BC, or Vancouver island.

Thanks!
Adanac Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 21:39   #2

Boat: Albin Vega
Re: Sailing school help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanac Goose View Post
Hi Fellow Sailors...

Long time lurker, first time typer and looking for a little help. I for years, like many here, have dreamed of sailing off into the sunset to places unknown, but being in land locked Canada has made it a little more difficult. So, I came up with plan. Four years ago I bought a 22' Tanzer and have been sailing it around the lakes of Alberta learning the ins and outs and been loving it!!! Now, I feel like graduating to the open ocean and purchasing my dream boat. Problem is, I don't know what that dream boat is, and know enough NOT to ask the forum to suggest best boats for me. I've read enough of those posts to know the answer is dependent on my needs and wants. So that's what I want to do. Find out what my needs and wants are. So the plan going forward is the desire to charter a few different boats on a few different vacations and see what I think. And, in order to do this I need to have some certifications which leads me to my question.

On the west coast of Canada I've found plenty of schools and plenty of designations and it seems a little overwhelming. CYA (sail Canada) ASA, ISPA, and even RYA are available. So, I'm wondering, what is the difference or benefits or are they pretty much the same? CYA seems the most obvious as they are the most numerous but a couple charter companies I looked into don't recognize them, and, although they do have cruising courses, they seem rather focused on racing.

I should add that chartering isn't my only reason for wanting to take classes. I also plan on learning something, and it will help with insurance.

So, I'm curious what are others experiences or thoughts are. Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for schools on the west coat of BC, or Vancouver island.

Thanks!
I'm a rookie too I will say be wary of Nanaimo Yacht Charters and Sailing School. I was signed up for a course with them a few years back and they cancelled the course at the last second. I, therefore, missed out on my one opportunity to get professional instruction before returning to work (no free time at work) and was very unimpressed. Sadly, I don't know of any better alternatives. Hopefully your schedule is more flexible than mine was. Good luck.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 22:11   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

It’s been a while since I took my courses, but they were all CYA, and a couple of Power Squadron. CYA cruising courses (Beginner to Advanced, navigation) were all focused on keel boat cruising … nothing about racing, but perhaps they have changed.

I took my Advanced CYA through a one-person school out of Vancouver. It was a week-long liveaboard course taught by an old salt of the name Jim Lavers. His website now seems defunct though, so perhaps he’s moved on. He also taught through Coopers school, which has various locations on the west coasts. Looks like CYA is now Sail Canada.

Not sure where you are in Alberta, but there is a very knowledgable Canadian instructor based out of Edmonton (works mostly on the west coast) by the handle of jackdale. Drop him a private message. I’m sure he could help.
Old 26-01-2017, 01:06   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I second asking Jackdale. He will steer you in the right direction.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 12:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

In my experience ASA and Sail Canada courses are very similar. Both recreational sailing focused. RYA courses tend to be more focused on professional sailing. However, the real factor that distinguishes sailing schools is the customer care you receive from the school prior to your course and the quality of the instructor who teaches your course.

I would recommend that you look for independent reviews on the schools you are considering. Trip Advisor is hard for a sailing school to get listed on, but if the school is serious you should find them there. Take a look and find out what former students have to say about the school.

If you are interested in escaping the Great White North and getting some winter sunshine down in the Caribbean, we would be happy to help you with your sail training needs.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 17:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
I'm a rookie too I will say be wary of Nanaimo Yacht Charters and Sailing School. I was signed up for a course with them a few years back and they cancelled the course at the last second. I, therefore, missed out on my one opportunity to get professional instruction before returning to work (no free time at work) and was very unimpressed. Sadly, I don't know of any better alternatives. Hopefully your schedule is more flexible than mine was. Good luck.

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that! I'll take them off my list just for you! [emoji3] Yes, my work is partially flexible but still... I'd be put out if a class got canceled on me, so thanks for the heads up. This is something to keep in mind!
Old 26-01-2017, 17:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It’s been a while since I took my courses, but they were all CYA, and a couple of Power Squadron. CYA cruising courses (Beginner to Advanced, navigation) were all focused on keel boat cruising … nothing about racing, but perhaps they have changed.

I took my Advanced CYA through a one-person school out of Vancouver. It was a week-long liveaboard course taught by an old salt of the name Jim Lavers. His website now seems defunct though, so perhaps he’s moved on. He also taught through Coopers school, which has various locations on the west coasts. Looks like CYA is now Sail Canada.

Not sure where you are in Alberta, but there is a very knowledgable Canadian instructor based out of Edmonton (works mostly on the west coast) by the handle of jackdale. Drop him a private message. I’m sure he could help.

Thanks for the info Mike! Yea, I remember looking into CYA years ago and it seems different than now. Maybe I'm just being juvenile, but it seems like Sail Canada has the same courses as CYA, but (especially the Sail Canada website) seems focused on racing. And, I'm more focused on exploring and sunsets!

Thanks Mike and StuM for Jackdale name!
Old 26-01-2017, 17:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
In my experience ASA and Sail Canada courses are very similar. Both recreational sailing focused. RYA courses tend to be more focused on professional sailing. However, the real factor that distinguishes sailing schools is the customer care you receive from the school prior to your course and the quality of the instructor who teaches your course.

I would recommend that you look for independent reviews on the schools you are considering. Trip Advisor is hard for a sailing school to get listed on, but if the school is serious you should find them there. Take a look and find out what former students have to say about the school.

If you are interested in escaping the Great White North and getting some winter sunshine down in the Caribbean, we would be happy to help you with your sail training needs.

Thanks LTDsailing!!! I couldn't agree more. The instruction and support is more important than the designation, which comes back to asking for suggestions. [emoji3] Thanks, I feel like an idiot, but I'd never thought of looking for reviews on sites like Trip Advisor. I'm starting that right now!
And thanks for the invite... I can't think of a better place to learn how to sail then the Caribbean... especially during Canadian winters! [emoji3] I'll look into that!!
Old 26-01-2017, 17:38   #9
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Check out Cooper boating in Vancouver. My wife and I started with them over 30 years ago and they are still at it. I have added a couple of power squadron courses over the years. The problem with PS is that it is all book. With the CYA stuff at Cooper it is mostly on boat, hands on learning.
Old 27-01-2017, 20:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
Check out Cooper boating in Vancouver. My wife and I started with them over 30 years ago and they are still at it. I have added a couple of power squadron courses over the years. The problem with PS is that it is all book. With the CYA stuff at Cooper it is mostly on boat, hands on learning.

Thanks DRS... I've looked them up and they look promising... I appreciate the suggestion!
Old 27-01-2017, 20:29   #11

Boat: Sceptre 36

Sent you a PM. There are many options available.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 21:10   #12

Boat: Sceptre 36

CYA is now Sail Canada. Many schools available in Alberta and BC. Visit sailing.ca for a complete list.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 22:25   #13

Boat: Beneteau/343

I took asa104 at Bellehaven in Bellingham. I thought they did a good job. I liked that they do all of their classes on a hunter 37'even for asa 103 or 101.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:20   #14

Quote:
Hi Fellow Sailors...

Thanks!

Hi there as a partner training school of International Yacht Training World wide, whose headquarters are in Kelowna, BC, I suggest you get in touch with them for both guidance and certification. IYTworld.com. They have schools in over fifty countries world wide and have been in the training business for nearly the same amount of time. You will find them wonderful to deal with. Good luck with your quest!
Axxx
Oceanpotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:20   #15

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
So the plan going forward is the desire to charter a few different boats on a few different vacations and see what I think. And, in order to do this I need to have some certifications which leads me to my question.

Thanks!
The reality is that, at least on the West coast, a lot of certification isn't really necessary. Practically speaking all you need to do is take a couple of courses through one of the charter companies and successfully convince them you can handle their boats. Likely they will let you go solo after than and it won't take more than one or two trips as "skipper" before all the other local charter companies will accept your experience over the piece of paper.

As for schools in BC, the charter companies all offer classes and the skippers are contractors. That can mean that the quality of the experience is more directly related to the skipper/instructor than the school and that skipper might be teaching for more than one company. Contrary to Keto's opinion I did all my training through Nanaimo Yacht Charters although it wasn't scheduled classes and I have a great relationship with them now. But our instructor (who we actually requested on our second course) has also taught at Coopers and Island Cruising so there you go.

AFAIK RYA and Sail Canada have written tests but ISPA doesn't.

Tags
sail, sailing, sailing school, school