Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:01   #1

2 Main Sheet Sailing on a Moorings 4000 AKA Leopard 40

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with the 2 main sheets on the Leopard 40? I'm new to skippering and previously have always chartered hiring a captain. After spending the last couple of years acquiring my ASA certifications up to catamaran 114 I finally chartered without a captain on a Moorings 4000 last week. It was just my wife and I as we always dreamed we could do and we had a blast. We left The Moorings BVI base and returned a week later with nothing but incredible memories, pride for our accomplishment, AND most importantly, NO INCIDENTS.

I learned my single hand sailing on a Fountaine Pajot Orana 44 which had 1 main sheet, traveler, and a winch that was clearly used for the main sheet and a winch that was used for the jib sheets swapping the working jib with the lazy gib on the tack. Easy breezy.

On my Moorings charter boat the 2 main sheets confused me. I tried two methods: The first was to use the winch on the right for the jib sheets and the winch on the left for the main sheets. But this method caused all kinds of crossing lines out of the chocks and didn't make tacking any easier by having to change 2 winched lines simultaneously through the tack.

The second was to set the sheets as it appeared to be intended through the chocks. I used the winches only for the jib sheets and closed the working main sheet rope clutch. This seemed to be what was intended, however, I was still sailing two thumbed forgetting to open the main sheet clutch on the tack and close the new working sheet clutch. My tacks were frustrating, pitiful actually, as I often got caught in the irons.

Sorry about the long set-up here but does anybody have experience with 2 main sheets? The Moorings 4000 in particular? I'm heading back to the BVI on the same boat in January and I would like to sail with confidence that I understand how the boat is rigged.
Frankjc501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:51   #2

Boat: 40' Leopard
Re: 2 Main Sheet Sailing on a Moorings 4000 AKA Leopard 40

Not sure if you mean the lines that are attached to the main that are actually a traveler.
These lines are very small in diameter and are easy to use on one winch and the 2 clutches .
You ccan use them jjust like you use the sheets on your foresail .
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:51   #3

I don't think you need to worry about main sheet when you are tacking with 2 sheet main system. It is symmetrical set-up and main will just tack itself and will end up in identical position on opposite tack. You can adjust it later if you so desire using either sheet. Boomwang however is playing more important role than in traditional set -up , because it is pretty much the only line keeping you boom down (once you outside blocks).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankjc501 View Post
Hi,
Does anyone have experience with the 2 main sheets on the Leopard 40? I'm new to skippering and previously have always chartered hiring a captain. After spending the last couple of years acquiring my ASA certifications up to catamaran 114 I finally chartered without a captain on a Moorings 4000 last week. It was just my wife and I as we always dreamed we could do and we had a blast. We left The Moorings BVI base and returned a week later with nothing but incredible memories, pride for our accomplishment, AND most importantly, NO INCIDENTS.

I learned my single hand sailing on a Fountaine Pajot Orana 44 which had 1 main sheet, traveler, and a winch that was clearly used for the main sheet and a winch that was used for the jib sheets swapping the working jib with the lazy gib on the tack. Easy breezy.

On my Moorings charter boat the 2 main sheets confused me. I tried two methods: The first was to use the winch on the right for the jib sheets and the winch on the left for the main sheets. But this method caused all kinds of crossing lines out of the chocks and didn't make tacking any easier by having to change 2 winched lines simultaneously through the tack.

The second was to set the sheets as it appeared to be intended through the chocks. I used the winches only for the jib sheets and closed the working main sheet rope clutch. This seemed to be what was intended, however, I was still sailing two thumbed forgetting to open the main sheet clutch on the tack and close the new working sheet clutch. My tacks were frustrating, pitiful actually, as I often got caught in the irons.

Sorry about the long set-up here but does anybody have experience with 2 main sheets? The Moorings 4000 in particular? I'm heading back to the BVI on the same boat in January and I would like to sail with confidence that I understand how the boat is rigged.
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:54   #4

I hope I'm understanding this....we just got back from sailing a Leopard 3900.....2 winches in the cockpit not including the one that's aft for the traveler.

We just took the main sheet off it's winch and used both winches for the jib while tacking. Tacks were much better using 2 winches vs just the one. Clutch open on the working sheet.

No crossed lines either.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:26   #5

Hi Saleen411,
Thank you. So my mistake was that I had the clutch closed on the lazy main sheet and forgot to release it on the tack thereby it acted as a preventer keeping the BOOM from crossing over. It felt uncomfortable for me to not have either main sheet on a winch. Is that how you did it? I used the 2 winches in the cockpit for the Jib sheets only. Is that what you did? And left the main sheets off the winches. Is that the correct way to use the sheets? I just shouldn't close the clutch on the lazy main sheet?
Old 06-11-2016, 10:58   #6

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

I looked at some pics of a L40 on YW and, if I'm seeing correctly, there is only one main sheet. Maybe something is different on the L40 you were on. Cantanas, some Fboats and many others do have two and they are more fiddly. If your L40 is like the ones on YW then just cleat the main sheet in the stopper, center the traveller if needed and come about. Use the two helm winches to tack the jib sheets. Adjust the traveller as you see fit. If its gusty you may want to put the main sheet back on the one (now unused) helm winch for quick release.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:59   #7

You really don't need to do anything with main sheet during the tack: just leave clutches closed and use both winches for jib sheets. After tack you might want to use "free" winch to adjust main sail position. And I don't think there is "lazy" main sheet: in reality it is 2-ended single continuous line. On monohulls it allows helmsman to control main sail from either wheel. Not sure you even need to use second end of main sheet on a cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankjc501 View Post
Hi Saleen411,
Thank you. So my mistake was that I had the clutch closed on the lazy main sheet and forgot to release it on the tack thereby it acted as a preventer keeping the BOOM from crossing over. It felt uncomfortable for me to not have either main sheet on a winch. Is that how you did it? I used the 2 winches in the cockpit for the Jib sheets only. Is that what you did? And left the main sheets off the winches. Is that the correct way to use the sheets? I just shouldn't close the clutch on the lazy main sheet?
Old 06-11-2016, 11:03   #8

If it is new Leopard 40 it even does not have traveler: it is German system with 2 block on either side of hardtop. And you are right : you can get away with using only one end of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
I looked at some pics of a L40 on YW and, if I'm seeing correctly, there is only one main sheet. Maybe something is different on the L40 you were on. Cantanas, some Fboats and many others do have two and they are more fiddly. If your L40 is like the ones on YW then just cleat the main sheet in the stopper, center the traveller if needed and come about. Use the two helm winches to tack the jib sheets. Adjust the traveller as you see fit. If its gusty you may want to put the main sheet back on the one (now unused) helm winch for quick release.
Old 06-11-2016, 13:00   #9

Thank you! I see now. It's ok to not have the main sheet on a winch but use a winch after the tack to adjust the main trim if needed. It's ok to use both winches for the jib sheets. What I was doing: Head to wind. Luffing the main. Raising the main. But not properly setting the main sail. I was spilling too much wind. Setting my main too far to port on a starboard close reach. Then locking both clutches so that when I came about my main sail didn't tack. It was held on the port side by a locked clutch. My problem was not 2 main sheets. It was improperly setting the main sail and then locking the clutch that held the main sail to port. Thank you all for your help.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:46   #10

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

The 'no traveller 2 block' system utilizes BOTH sheets for sail trim. One provides the lateral pull and the other the down pull. They are not self-tacking!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:14   #11

Two thoughts:

First, prior to tacking, bring the boom to the centerline of the boat using both sheets accordingly, and jam them both. You don't need to tend the main during a tack...it will do just fine by itself. Then, once the boat is settled down, you can re-position the main so that it's most efficient.

Never unstop the mainsheet without having wraps on a winch...it's dangerous, because sometimes the mainsheet can have a considerable load. In fact, never unstop anything without wraps...it's just a good habit to get into.

The double mainsheet system allows you to control both the angle of attack of the sale ( what we normally think of as "trim"), as well as the amount of leech tension. Think of the process as first "trimming" the main with the windward sheet, and then tightening the leeward sheet so you bring the boom downwards and increase the leech tension. My experience with Leopards is that they build weather helm( a tendency to round up to windward, causing you to have to steer to leeward to maintain course) pretty easily, and the deflection of the rudder slows the boat down a lot...so I'd fine tune the leech tension against the knotmeter. Lots of tension in light air, but less and less as the breeze gets heavier.

I hope this helps.
PHRF57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:28   #12
Marine Service Provider

Hard to explain, but if I could take you out on the water for an afternoon...

So - yes if you are sailing upwind you would use the two lines together to hold the boom on center line and adjust tension to control the amount of twist in the sail. Bring it down to take the twist out of the top of the sail, ease it up to let the top twist off and de-power the boat a bit. Be sure not to bring the boom above center.

When you are tacking as long as your boom is on center, you shouldn't have to mess with it. If the boat is having trouble tacking, ease off both sheets a bit as you go into the tack so that the boat doesn't wind vane and leave you in irons. You should be able to ease them just before the tack and bring them back in after the tack.

When you are off the wind, ease the windward sheet and bring in the leeward sheet to control sail shape - adjust the amount of twist.

Once you are way off the wind you will have to ease the leeward sheet also to allow it to go out far enough.

When you jibe, bring in the windward sheet until the boom is on centerline. Close that clutch and switch the leeward sheet to the winch so that you can ease it out after the jibe. After the jibe, adjust the new leeward sheet as needed.

Like I said - this is all way easier to show than explain. Have fun - it's a good system once you get it figured out.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:27   #13

Thanks Chris,
I see what you're saying. I can't wait to go back and get a better understanding of the system when I'm aboard.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:04   #14

have owned a new L40 for 6 months now. Unless you have sailed one, its very difficult to give advice. There is no vang. The lazy main sheet acts as a vang and when I tack, I let this out a little on the clutch and then leave it as I tack, It becomes active main sheet without further intervention until all is settled. I don't think its possible to use one winch as main and one for head, you just have to juggle.
iancwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 13:05   #15

Congratulations! My wife and I really loved the L40. We sailed the owners version and it was very comfortable. And we hope to look into buying one down the road as we get older and more experienced. So, if I understand you correctly, you slack the lazy sheet on the tack. Even hand feed a little extra out to be sure that the BOOM comes over? Close the clutch and when the sail settles after tacking adjust the sail according to point of sail? Do you have a main sheet on a winch during the tack? Or do you use the winches for the jib sheets only during tacking? The lines seem to be lead this way. After tacking do you put a couple of wraps of the main sheet on a winch to adjust sail? Do you keep the working main sheet on a winch or just keep it closed in the clutch? Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags
leopard, leopard 40, mooring, sail, sailing