Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 00:33   #1

Boat: Oyster 435
Temporary Import Permit for Chile

Hi there
We are heading south to Chile, arriving in April 2018 with a planned stop at Easter Island in March. We hope to leave the boat in Puerto Montt or Valdivia for the Chilean winter and then cruise the northern canals for the summer season. We then hope to repeat the process the following year.
For tourists, the rules seem simple. Boats... not so much.
I've found limited info on Temporary Import permits but non of it is official and it seems to range from 90 days to 2 years. Can anyone point me to something official?
Would the arrival at Easter island start the clock?
Does putting the boat on the hard stop the clock?
Chile is a big cruising ground, its a pain to get to and we dont want to rush it.
Thanks for any info...
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 01:58   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Temporary Import Permit for Chile

Hola Gary,
Not sure about Easter Island as I have never done that but I am pretty sure you would be clearing out of there for 'high seas' or where ever. I once reset the clock by clearing from Montt for Peru but a medical emergency ( I had half a tooth ( big filling ) fall out ) so we re-entered at Antofagasta and were given a new 'Declaracion de Admisión Temporal'.

They are good for 12 months and by application can be renewed for another 12 months so you get 2 years 'in country'.

Crew are only good for 90 days however. Simple fix there... plenty of places where you can do a visa run into RG land.

Putting the boat on the hard does not stop the clock. At least I know of no one who has done it.

I prefer Montt to Valdivia ( that said I have only land cruised into Valdivia )

Club Nautico Reloncavi is the destination of choice at present... good rates , good people, good hardstand, all services available. Handy for an airport.

Oxxean is geared to permanents these days and Marina del Sur has no hard stand and is $$$$$$.

Huelmo is remote... the one near Castro is said to be expensive and is also remote..

Cheers
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeacock View Post
Hi there
We are heading south to Chile, arriving in April 2018 with a planned stop at Easter Island in March. We hope to leave the boat in Puerto Montt or Valdivia for the Chilean winter and then cruise the northern canals for the summer season. We then hope to repeat the process the following year.
I've found limited info on Temporary Import permits but non of it is official and it seems to range from 90 days to 2 years. Can anyone point me to something official?
Chile is a big cruising ground, its a pain to get to and we dont want to rush it.
Thanks for any info...
Gary
Old 17-08-2017, 08:44   #3

Boat: Oyster 435

Thanks a bunch Pinguino
I was hoping you'd jump in on this.
Any advice on landfall for Puerto Montt? Is there a good anchorage we can aim for before we enter the channel?
Thanks
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 16:09   #4

I've only been in through Chacao once and out twice....however...

The only anchorage is in Caleta Godoy/Bahia Maulin and that is only sheltered in Northerlies as you can see.
I've been in there once when northbound and it was fine.

The tide can be felt a very long way off shore and produces a very ugly and dangerous sea. Don't ask me how I know this ( we were in very light and settled conditions .. I hate to think what it would be like in an onshore blow )

On the two occasions I departed via Chacao we went north of Isla Dona Sebastiana and in future I would use that track inbound as well.

Once inside - if you have run out of daylight - there is good anchorage between Isla Abtao and the mainland and from there to Montt the track up close by Calbuco and inside Isla Puluqui is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maulin.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	154292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chacao.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	154293  

Old 18-08-2017, 10:16   #5

Boat: Beneteau, Cyclades 43.4

I would recommend you to be awarre of the current, It can reach easily 6+ knots specially at the passage north of Doña Sebastiana and when its direction is in opposition to the wind the sea can be very, very rough
Jorge M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 11:10   #6

Boat: Destroyed AMEL SUPER MARAMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeacock View Post
Hi there
Thanks for any info...
Gary
--------------------------------------------
You will be in one of the best places of the world to sail!: The Channels of the South of Chile.
I will try to find official information. Please send me an email rcaviedesxvtrdotnet
Rafa from Chile
Old 18-08-2017, 14:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge M View Post
I would recommend you to be awarre of the current, It can reach easily 6+ knots specially at the passage north of Doña Sebastiana and when its direction is in opposition to the wind the sea can be very, very rough
Good info, I have only used that track outwards in settled conditions on the ebb... and - yes - you do pop out like a cork out of a bottle.

With easterlys being rare I would expect, under most conditions, to be entering with wind and tide both going the same way.
Old 18-08-2017, 14:40   #8

Boat: Currently in between

Is there a good anchorage in Easter Island? I didn't consult cruising guides as I have none for that area but I did look at aerials (Google) and there doesn't appear to be much there.
Old 18-08-2017, 15:12   #9

When we came in from NZ last year we had very settled conditions, wind that light that we were motoring together with a very low swell.

Arriving offshore in the small hours of the morning with the flood due to get away shortly before daylight we encountered quite heavy conditions and a few knots of ebb in the vicinity of the western most of the two diamonds on the pic below. However it was easy to get into clean water again where we sat until the flood tide got away. Runs strong all the way from there to the inside so no drama getting through on one tide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chacaodos.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	154360  
Old 18-08-2017, 15:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Is there a good anchorage in Easter Island? I didn't consult cruising guides as I have none for that area but I did look at aerials (Google) and there doesn't appear to be much there.
I haven't been there and have no desire to go there....

Reports from friends suggest anchorages can be 'interesting' .. esp when - as one couple said - you find yourself on the edge of a surf carnival.

There is a harbour.....

Old 18-08-2017, 16:46   #11

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Hi Gary, I'm in Reloncavi marina with a 47 feet sailboat and living in Puerto Varas .All the comments are quite appropiate .Main issues is with the current and Wind in chacao channel .Any further question please mailme at hhcorreav@gmail.com .Will be a pleasure try to answer or connect with another sailor .Cheers
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 19:36   #12

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I haven't been there and have no desire to go there....

Reports from friends suggest anchorages can be 'interesting' .. esp when - as one couple said - you find yourself on the edge of a surf carnival.

There is a harbour.....

That is right along the lines of what I heard. I thought it would be a neat place to go but after reading up I decided no way!

Thanks much!
Old 20-08-2017, 07:29   #13

I am enclosing a video of Chilean Patagonia. Enjoy it!
Old 20-08-2017, 10:51   #14

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

excellent video .I'm sailin in this areas and it's true not fiction .It's a gorgeous trip to sail with calm .Nice places,good food ,nice weather prediction,100% clean anchoring and good marinas .The discussion was about the problems sailing trough the Chacao channel ,but nobody mention that Shoa predictions and Grib files working fine .
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 11:17   #15

For information I recomend Www.schoa.cl and www.directemar.cl official sites of Armada de Chile.
To contact sailors in Chile. Facebook. Rincón del navegante Chile
Nautical equipment. Nauticentro

Tags
Chile, import, permit