Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2016, 01:16   #1

Boat: Saga 409, 41'
Belize harbors

We are thinking of moving our 41' boat, 6' draft to Belize for about 6 months. We read about the inconsistent fees for short-term stays. Are there any recommendation on which harbor or marina would be suitable, or which to avoid? Appreciate any advice on this would be helpful.

Thanks.
a22dphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 04:12   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Belize harbors

Noonsite is your friend... :-) GL in your search but beware, Belize is not particularly safe anymore.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 04:25   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Suitable for what purpose?

Consistency is not one of the traits of Belizean Officialdom. It is what it is, just go with the flow and enjoy this great cruising ground. If you try and fight it or tell officials how it should be, you will just make it worse. Procedures and fees vary by port of entry and which officials are on duty. We charter captains used to keep each other informed of which port of entry was more favorable at the moment and change our clearance plans accordingly. I would post again shortly before your arrival for updates.

Most of northern Belize, once you get N of Swallow Bogue/Drowned Cayes, has lots of skinny water. You can make your way thru many places in N Belize with 6' draft and good local knowledge, but I dont recommend it until you develop that or have local knowledge aboard.

In terms of Ports of Entry and 6' draft, from N to S.

San Pedro. I would not recommend San Pedro, at 6' you are going to be very close to the bottom there and aground in many places. Then you will have to pick your way S thru many shallow areas.

Belize City. Eastern Channel is an easy deep water entrance to Belize City. The Flats around Belize City are plenty deep for you, with few hazards. However, getting into Cucumber Beach Marina, the most convenient place to dock and clear in, with a 6' draft is going to be cutting it very close, likely going aground in the channel or at least dredging your way in. You could anchor just off Cucumber Beach in Sibun Bight and shuttle in to clear, but that would be a hassle (though it is done). Fort George Hotel/Marina may be another option. If you chose to anchor off and clear in, contact Port Authority on VHF 16 first for instructions first.

Placencia/Big Creek. Several options for deep water entrances from offshore, including coming in at Eastern Channel and sailing south. Deep water access to both Big Creek (the actual Port of Entry) and Placencia Harbor (a popular cruiser hang out).

Punta Gorda (PG). Not a problem accessing with deep draft, but there are extensive shoals to the E and N of PG. Anchorage is an open roadstead so really only a good option in fair weather.

What else?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 08:09   #4

Copy and paste from my "Belize Notes" below regarding marinas.

You can download a full copy of my notes at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/euol89ntbu...10-04.pdf?dl=0.

I would appreciate any of you sending me feedback on these notes.

"
Regarding marinas in Belize -- don't believe everything you may find in a Web search. There are many marinas either in the works, rumored, partially operational, or places that call themselves "marinas" or even "Yacht Clubs" but really are not. Two well established options for cruisers are Cucumber Beach (Old Belize) near Belize City and Robert's Grove in Placencia.
Both are decent marinas with bar/restaurant, fuel dock, WiFi (not necessarily at your boat), water, security, and electrical. Neither is particularly conveniently located to anything else, but fortunately they both have decent amenities on-site.

See their web sites for details including dockage and electrical rates (remember some prices may be quoted in BZ$ so don't pass out at first glance).

See http://www.robertsgrove.com/belize-marina

See http://www.oldbelize.com/index.php?section=4

You may also be able to make dockage arrangements with private owners etc, but that is best done after you have gotten to know people.

Controlling depth to get into Roberts Grove is about 5.5 feet, although I do know of boats with deeper draft who have, with much planning and assistance gotten in there. You have to come up through the Placencia Lagoon to get there, its not hard really, but I suggest hiring local knowledge to bring you in the first time and laying down some way points.

The mouth of the jetties at Cucumber Beach tends to silt up. They do dredge it from time to time. Be sure and confirm with the marina the current controlling depth (the web site always says 6' – ask.)

A few other marinas are in various stages of development around Placencia. Two of the more viable options are Chabli Mar and The Placencia Marina. Laura Beya is a functioning marina in Placencia, but is used almost exclusively by the Moorings/Sunsail. A marina is also under development in Sapodilla Lagoon. You may run across information regarding a marina in Punta Gorda, but this is a long abandoned project. There used to be a marina on Moho Caye across from Belize City, but it is defunct.

Caye Chapel is a private island with a small marina, air strip, and golf course. While they have allowed cruisers to tie up there temporarily on occassion, it is not a public marina.

Fort George Hotel Marina. Not well protected and not normally a choice of cruisers, but I have pulled into their docks before to take on charter guests and provision.

A factor to consider when choosing a marina is its proximity to other services and points of interest. Comparing Cucumber Beach and Roberts Grove for example: Both are generally a good choice for a short stop or longer, but Cucumber Beach is very islolated, with nothing nearby, and a long expensive taxi ride into Belize City to provision. I used to live aboard in Roberts Grove and have friends who've lived aboard for many years in Cucumber Beach (Ive spent quite a few nights there too). Both are perfectly good choices, though Roberts Grove is nicer and you won't have to go into Belize City to provision. Going into Placencia, from Roberts Grove, to provision is a much shorter and much more scenic trip, and Placencia is only slightly more risky than Disnelyland. You can even ride a bike into town (don't even think about that from Cucumber Beach). Placencia is a nice place to hang out too, as is Maya Beach just up the road. Belize City on the other hand is a bit more dicey and I don't recommend hanging out there without some local knowledge. Cabin fever is less of an issue at Roberts grove because of the amenities of the resort, includimg a nice beach, and relatively easy access to Placencia.
"
Old 13-11-2016, 08:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Agree everything with Belizesailor says,

A couple of other things

Provisioning
The places you can anchor/moor and provision are few and far between

Re ports of entry,
Dangriga is also an option but is an open road stead so no shelter and not that good to stay over night, we normally check in and out at Placencia. You anchor in Placencia there then travel overland and by water taxi to Big Creek to see the authorities, you can no longer land at Big Creek Port

Idea of costs

Check in/out Costs Big Creek 2016 all prices in BZ$
• Hokey Pokey Water Taxi From Placencia to Mango Creek Per person $6.00
• Taxi from Mango Creek to Big Creek and back $25.00
• Hokey Pokey Water Taxi From Mango Creek to Placencia Per person $6.00
• A. Immigration Checking in in Office Hours $0.00
• B. Customs Checking in in Office Hours $0.00
• C. BAHA Checking in in Office Hours, 2 persons, no pets or fruit & Veg $20.00
• D. Belize Port Authority (BPA) Checking in in Office Hours
o Cost per day per boat 1st 2 days, per boat $100.00
o Cost per day per boat after the 1st 2 days $5.00

Every 30 days (These costs are for Placencia but you can go to any port of entry to extend)
• Immigration Visa extension per person $50.00
Customs to get Ships Report stamped $0.00
• Belize Port Authority (BPA) What days you owe, cost per day per boat $5.00

Check out costs Big Creek 2016

• A. Immigration Checking out in Office Hours & leaving the same day PACT Tax per Person $7.50
• B. Belize Port Aurthority (BPA) Checking in in Office Hours
If you owe BPA for Days outstanding you will need to see them before Customs
as Customs wants the BPA Pink receipt before they will issue you a Zarpe
• C. Customs for Zarpe Checking out in Office Hours $0.00

Another thing to bear in mind is that although Immigration allows you to stay as long as you want, the Customs only allow the boat to be in the country for 90 days. After 90 days you either have to leave the country and then return or have some kind of importation in place (Temporary or permanent) which evolves money and a customs agent.

“Consistency is not one of the traits of Belizean Officialdom. “
Interesting range of answers from different Customs officers as to how long you have to take the boat out of the country for before you can return.

I have heard the following answers at different times

6 months
3 months
72 hours
You must return to your country of registration before you can come back
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 08:48   #6

Hola Triumphant, thanks for the detailed update on current rates. Love the example of consistency!

Re importation.

I do know of at least one boat who posted a temporary importation bond for a longer stay...and after some extended discussion, actually got their money back in the end. Personally, I would never give the GOB money and expect to get it back.

You can register a vessel as a "foreign vessel" in Belize, at a higher annual fee, but to my knowledge this is only for vessels in charter service.

Permanent importation is wildly expense, officially 36% of boat value plus other fees, nobody I know of does this unless they work out a deal to radically under value the boat.

So, for a 6 month stay, I think a run to the Rio would in order. Hopefully they dont get the guy who thinks you must return to country of registry befor re entering. But, I dont know of anyone this has happened to.

Tags
Belize