Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2017, 13:29   #1

Boat: OE 32
Cost of checking in / departing Australia

Hello!

Does anyone know what the cost is to check in and out of Australia? I'm getting different numbers depending on where I look... Or do you know where I can find the "prices"?
ypepypiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 14:55   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cost of checking in / departing Australia

ypepiq,

Look on the AQIS web site, the fees are probably posted there. Basically, in coming to Australia from outside it, plan to arrive on Mon-Friday, between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Any other time of arrival will involve some form of overtime charges, which, incidentally does not go to the employees, who are salaried, but to the company. [AQIS is not a "service" like Customs, now called Australian Border Force.]

There are no departure fees that I remember.

Ann
Old 23-05-2017, 00:52   #3

Thank you Ann for your response!

I can't seem to find a fixed cost, I've tried emailing but no response (not surprised).
So there is only the AQIS cost, there's no "checking into the country-cost" or such? Like does not customs want something also? We've heard that it is "so expensive" sailing/ checking into Australia, but we want to know... How expensive...

//angie
Old 23-05-2017, 01:13   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Last time I checked in was about a year ago. The only charge was AQIS (and it was a lot less than the previous year).

Leaving was no charge.

Edit: From border.gov.au:

"The Department of Immigration and Border Protection does not levy any charge for clearance. However the Department of Agriculture operates on a full cost recovery basis."

Edit 2: Just dug out the last AQIS receipt. Total cost was $AU160. (billed for 1 hour of their time to do the inspection/practique clearance and take away some leftover fresh food)

Edit 3: Visa costs are a different matter - but I don't need one.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 02:35   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Edit 2: Just dug out the last AQIS receipt. Total cost was $AU160. (billed for 1 hour of their time to do the inspection/practique clearance and take away some leftover fresh food)
Stu, if that's universal, that's really good news! Last time for us it was nearly 3 times that figure. Could it be that our bitching has had some effect???

Jim
Old 23-05-2017, 05:01   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Stu, if that's universal, that's really good news! Last time for us it was nearly 3 times that figure. Could it be that our bitching has had some effect???

Jim
Yep, I was pleasantly surprised too. I mentioned to the AQIS guy that it was a lot less than my previous visit and he confirmed that they had reduced their charges considerably.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 15:12   #7

Boat: Adams 42

My last re-entry to Oz in April 2016 cost me $260 payable by credit card on inspection.
However AQIS are particularly concerned with termites and on a previous entry was given a temporary certificate subject to further inspections from a separate pest control business. All up cost around $700. Aluminium hull no termites.
Customs are free of charges, very thorough and very professional.
They require a minimum of 96 hours prior notification of arrival.
I have notified ( yachtreport@customs.gov.au ) up to several weeks prior to arrival and have given several expected ports of arrival ( depending on the wind direction). No problems.
No costs involved with a departure and I have completed the process over the counter. You have 24 hours to clear port and I have had to temporarily return to port on one occasion with Customs blessing.
On clearing in you have no further dealings prior to departing.
Trust you enjoy your visit.
Cheers
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 16:49   #8

If you come here just make sure you give them the correct amount of time and details of the vessel and crew before you get here. Otherwise big big dollars and court costs and no, I repeat no sympathy if you make the slightest mistake.

Also make sure you get the latest information off their website to ensure you comply. Don't ask me how I know.

regards

Andrew
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Last time I checked in was about a year ago. The only charge was AQIS (and it was a lot less than the previous year).

Leaving was no charge.

Edit: From border.gov.au:

"The Department of Immigration and Border Protection does not levy any charge for clearance. However the Department of Agriculture operates on a full cost recovery basis."

Edit 3: Visa costs are a different matter - but I don't need one.
Thank you so much! Then it wasn't as expensive as we've heard... Seems fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post
My last re-entry to Oz in April 2016 cost me $260 payable by credit card on inspection.
However AQIS are particularly concerned with termites and on a previous entry was given a temporary certificate subject to further inspections from a separate pest control business. All up cost around $700. Aluminium hull no termites.
Customs are free of charges, very thorough and very professional.
They require a minimum of 96 hours prior notification of arrival.
I have notified ( yachtreport@customs.gov.au ) up to several weeks prior to arrival and have given several expected ports of arrival ( depending on the wind direction). No problems.
No costs involved with a departure and I have completed the process over the counter. You have 24 hours to clear port and I have had to temporarily return to port on one occasion with Customs blessing.
On clearing in you have no further dealings prior to departing.
Trust you enjoy your visit.
Cheers
Okay, we're hoping that it's closer to $160 than $260, but still ok. We'll be thorough with notification of arrival! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elandra65 View Post
If you come here just make sure you give them the correct amount of time and details of the vessel and crew before you get here. Otherwise big big dollars and court costs and no, I repeat no sympathy if you make the slightest mistake.

Also make sure you get the latest information off their website to ensure you comply. Don't ask me how I know.

regards

Andrew
We will! Thank you!

Tags
Australia