Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 22:42   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
ARC 2019

We are offering 2 cabins or 4 berths for ARC 2019 from Canaries to St Lucia on brand new 42ft catamaran. Estimate share of costs around €4K pp.
Also possibility to join earlier in July Bretagne to Gibraltar and/or Gibraltar to Canaries in November.
Prefer experienced sailors. Family or couples preferred. Children welcome. We have a 5y old.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:11   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: ARC 2019

€4K per person? That seems very steep for a three week trip for shared costs. How did you arrive at that figure?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:18   #3

Hi Suijin, is this something you are interested in?
I just want to make sure you are not trolling.
Feel free to pm me and we can talk about how it would work.
The ARC is not just a 3 week sail across the Atlantic, its actually more like 8 weeks in total for people who are wanting to share the full experience( we are ARC+). And there is a qualifying passage required as well. Many join as families which is our plan and thats also why we prefer to have another family, or 2 join us. Preferably with kids. The costs pp depend on how many people are on board and for how long and we are very realistic about the expenses and have done this before. We are also not millionaires.
Would you believe that some people pay up to €6k to do the ARC on a 60ft monohull with 10 other paying guests?
Anyway I won't bore you with the details but its not a cheap nor a quick sail.
In the 3 weeks since we started posting this ad we have had already 4 inquiries so I know our estimates are realistic and also within the accepted supply/demand range. Thanks for your interest.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
Hi Suijin, is this something you are interested in?

I just want to make sure you are not trolling.

Feel free to pm me and we can talk about how it would work.

The ARC is not just a 3 week sail across the Atlantic, its actually more like 8 weeks in total for people who are wanting to share the full experience( we are ARC+). And there is a qualifying passage required as well. Many join as families which is our plan and thats also why we prefer to have another family, or 2 join us. Preferably with kids. The costs pp depend on how many people are on board and for how long and we are very realistic about the expenses and have done this before. We are also not millionaires.

Would you believe that some people pay up to €6k to do the ARC on a 60ft monohull with 10 other paying guests?

Anyway I won't bore you with the details but its not a cheap nor a quick sail.

In the 3 weeks since we started posting this ad we have had already 4 inquiries so I know our estimates are realistic and also within the accepted supply/demand range. Thanks for your interest.

Not trolling, just asked the obvious question for the benefit of other readers and you answered it straightforwardly.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:03   #5

Speaking from someone who plans to one day do the crossing it also seems steep: do you have some numbers as to what is costing so much? Or are you factoring in things like fuel consumption and boat maintenance?
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:14   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Speaking from someone who plans to one day do the crossing it also seems steep: do you have some numbers as to what is costing so much? Or are you factoring in things like fuel consumption and boat maintenance?
For 8 weeks it will be OK, I guess, 500 per week for food (some eating out), marina fees, ARC fees, fuel, visa fees, taxi costs for provisioning.... Depends on lifestyle.

We will cross next year too, not sure about the ARC yet.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:28   #7

Not to derail OP too much. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2018, 22:14   #8

Hi guys, I’m sorry if some don’t like the costs we are incurring. I didn’t really intend this to be a debate about our budgeting so I will refrain from further comment on the numbers. We are just looking for like minded people, possibly with kids, who are interested in doing the ARC. Thank you.
Old 12-10-2018, 23:05   #9

Quote:
We are offering 2 cabins or 4 berths for ARC 2019 from Canaries to St Lucia on brand new 42ft catamaran. Estimate share of costs around €4K pp.
Also possibility to join earlier in July Bretagne to Gibraltar and/or Gibraltar to Canaries in November.
Prefer experienced sailors. Family or couples preferred. Children welcome. We have a 5y old.
Not trolling but I would love to hear how you get on...with the spare berths and in general. We are contemplating something similar in 2 years time, when mine will be six and eight.

How old are yours?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
richr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 03:10   #10

Quote:
Hi guys, I’m sorry if some don’t like the costs we are incurring. I didn’t really intend this to be a debate about our budgeting so I will refrain from further comment on the numbers. We are just looking for like minded people, possibly with kids, who are interested in doing the ARC. Thank you.

It isn’t the number itself. It’s the context that’s important. If you want to attract interested parties you need to provide information that shows that it is congruent with the experience.

A lot of ARC boats take on crew for just the actual passage, covering onboard costs like provisioning and sometimes travel to the Canaries and home from St. Lucia. Every arrangement is different and they all span a wide spectrum.

So saying you’re looking for a family of four and that it’s going to cost them $16,000 plus airfare, without detail about what that covers, is probably not going to generate the response you’re looking for.
Old 13-10-2018, 03:22   #11

Its fine guys. I can see this is just going to go on and on and I will continue to receive advice and opinions from very smart and experienced people who have no actual interest in the original post. I for one have better things to do. Like spending less time on this forum and spending more time with my family.
Old 13-10-2018, 03:30   #12

And by the way, we are only asking the 2 adults of the presumed family to contribute. Not the children.
Now I shall sit back and wait for another smart and experienced forum member to point out that there were flaws and omissions in my original post. Phew. Hard work this forum. Or maybe just some people.
Old 13-10-2018, 03:50   #13

Wow, we’re trying to be helpful and you keep insulting us. You must be a joy to sail with.
Old 15-10-2018, 04:37   #14

I don't think anyone is criticizing you. Personally I was just curious about why it was so expensive. If I ran through things myself, I feel this should cost about half of that.

I'm from the US, but I can't imagine me and my girlfriend would cost close to $10k for this trip. Maybe I am not thinking of something.
Old 15-10-2018, 09:08   #15

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Its fine guys. I can see this is just going to go on and on and I will continue to receive advice and opinions from very smart and experienced people who have no actual interest in the original post. I for one have better things to do. Like spending less time on this forum and spending more time with my family.

I don't believe SUijin and other are the trolls on CF. They are valuable contributors. They are NOT here to serve or make you happy, but they serve the general members and provide helpful guidance for less experienced members who are looking for a crew position. Through this open discussion Hopefully that the boat owner (you) can find the most qualified crews and the crew can avoid the so-called captain from hell.

On this public forum, it is about how one carries oneself. This often reflects on how the one handles stress in a less ideal sitiution at seas.

Good luck.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc