Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 11:38   #1

yet another tall person boat search advice request

I've searched this forum and online and am still trying to get a short list together of models suitable for me.

I'm 6'8" and looking for something to singlehand that would have inside headroom in the main areas so I don't have to stoop. My main singlehanded sailing will be longer bluewater passages, say from the Med to Madagascar. I want something that sails well. Size isn't as important as good performance and headroom. My price limit is somewhere in the US$150,000 range although would really prefer under $100k. I don't mind not having all the bells and whistles, I'm pretty basic.

Would love any and all suggestions. I've looked at different pilothouse boats such as the Gulf 32 but they don't seem like they would be the best fit for a lot of bluewater sailing.
matt w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:08   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: yet another tall person boat search advice request

Columbia 50! You could fit the basketball team and the court inside of one! That might be a bit of hyperbole, but there is a lot to like about the 50 besides it’s cavernous interior imo.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:40   #3

Thanks for the reply. I checked them out and they have 6'5" headroom. Then looked at the 56 and 57 and they are the same. I thought I had read somewhere that there are sailboats with 7 foot headroom but I haven't found anything in my searching.
matt w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:29   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

7 feet of headroom? That’s a tall order...sorry, could not resist. I’m 6’6” and has similar issues. Main salon and galley area aren’t the only concern, fitting in the head, seated and standing can be challenging on many boats. While Hunters typically have loads of headroom, we selected a Beneteau 423. I can even stand up in the forward shower. May be at the top of your budget unless you find one coming out of charter.

Cheers!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:56   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Sorry ‘bout that, I coulda sworn it was 6’-8” relayed by a C50 owner. The other thing, finding a boat with a berth you can stretch out in. Probably going to be a double in an aft cabin? Or one that can be modified easily.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:59   #6

Forward berth in the 423 is 7’
Old 09-10-2018, 12:21   #7

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft

Check out Sam Devlin's designs. I could swear I saw a few with tall headroom. If not, there's always commissioning a custom build -- and he does those too.
Old 09-10-2018, 13:01   #8

Boat: Hunter 420, 42'

Our Hunter 420 Passage has 6'6" ceilings. One reason we bought it is that my son is 6'4" and he got tired of hitting his head!
DayDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Crabs_A_Lot View Post
Check out Sam Devlin's designs. I could swear I saw a few with tall headroom. If not, there's always commissioning a custom build -- and he does those too.

Really, commission a custom build within the OP’S stated budget of $100-$150K? That would be surprisingly cheap for any ocean rated boat.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:06   #10

I'm over 6ft and have a Tradewind 35 - half the main cabin is 6ft 10in, just measured it. Immediately down the steps from the cockpit it is only 6ft 1in around the galley and nav table, then down a step to the first part of the cabin (6ft 10in) for about a metre along the first half of the cabin seats, then for the next part it goes down to 5ft 10in for the rest of the cabin (just under 1 metre more in length). The orridor to the vberth housing the heads is also 5ft 10in. Good luck with your search.
Dolphin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:09   #11

Re Tradewind 35 above, mine is set up for singlehanded and it is a great ocean-crossing boat - very easy for singlehanded - everything including reef lines go back to cockpit - about to tackle the Atlantic in a couple of weeks.
Dolphin999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, boat