Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 21:42   #1

Boat: Tartan 27
freight forwarding advice (Malaysia)

Can anyone recommend a freight forwarding service in Malaysia, specifically langkawi.
Or possibly offer shipping advice in general, I am attempting to ship a small Yanmar from Alaska (or possibly Seattle/ west coast USA) to Malaysia.
My assumption would be that I would hire someone with local knowledge on the Malaysian end to clear customs.
If anyone has done something similar please chime in, I'm not really sure where to start with this. Actually, I started with fedex and got a 2400 usd quote. It is about 250 lbs so I guess airfreight is out of the question, although I weight 50 lbs less and shipped myself by air for about 700 usd. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
gophish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 22:31   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: freight forwarding advice (Malaysia)

Good thing you are in Langkawi as it is a duty-free island. Whatever you do, do not order anything from abroad to the Malaysia mainland if you can receive the goods in Langkawi, saves you a lot of trouble time and money.
People have ordered spare parts just to the Poslaju (Malaysia national postal service) post office in Langkawi. They even call you when spares arrive. However, a spare engine I'm not sure. I suggest you go walk in and try to talk with the boss (not the young guy or gal at the desk as they may say just anything to get rid of you fast).

Another advice, browse this one through:

http://www.langkawi-gazette.com/marine-guide

I haven't checked it for a while but there might be something in there.

One more thing, you might want to research the option to order from Singapore, they should be much more efficient and cheaper than anything in Malaysia, unless you insist ordering from USA.

Hope this gets you started.

Cheers,

Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 22:49   #3

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
One more thing, you might want to research the option to order from Singapore, they should be much more efficient and cheaper than anything in Malaysia, unless you insist ordering from USA.
Second this -- check what's in Singapore. We bought a Yanmar when we were there.
Old 27-06-2016, 23:15   #4

I finally found a deal on one here in the states. (I'll be returning to the boat in October) New motor, but I'll be the third owner after being passed around a few abandoned projects. I'm just trying to see if I'm saving anything if I have to ship it that far.
Old 27-06-2016, 23:31   #5

Thanks Eric,
I browsed through the gazette. I'll try to contact the chandlery with weekly port supply/west marine shipments and see if it's possible to get it in with them.
Old 28-06-2016, 02:20   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

That must be Peninsular yachts then? Mohd Hazif Md Yusuf there has been friendly and helpful whenever I dealed with them. His title is director. For whatever reason their website never works. But he replies to emails surprisingly well. Let me know if you need his email. Oh and one more thing, shipping anything to Malaysia, even Langkawi, I would make sure to have the first line of address "Yacht In Transit".
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 04:49   #7

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

^^ Facebook may be a better option?
https://www.facebook.com/peninsularyachts/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 08:37   #8

Hello
I can help you with a contact on Langkawi. He arranged for batteries to be shipped from Kuala Lumpur, I then collected them, piece of cake.
Please send your email address to bob.pipistrelle@gmail.com and I will then send you the contact details.
Bob
Pipistrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 15:13   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts 36' ketch

I agree with most of the suggestions made so far, just want to emphasize a point. When shipping from outside Malaysia, do not use any carrier that is mainland based, because of the likelyhood of customs duty demanded by the carrier to send on to Langkawi. This is not payable on two grounds, first Langkawi is totally duty free and secondly the good are going to a foreign vessel, that's why the "YACHT IN TRANSIT" tag must be on the goods.
Friends have sent items from USA using simple US Post but maybe an engine might be too big. Also don't refer to it as spare, replacement would be better term.
good luck
Mishiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 20:42   #10

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophish View Post
Can anyone recommend a freight forwarding service in Malaysia, specifically langkawi.
Or possibly offer shipping advice in general, I am attempting to ship a small Yanmar from Alaska (or possibly Seattle/ west coast USA) to Malaysia.
My assumption would be that I would hire someone with local knowledge on the Malaysian end to clear customs.
If anyone has done something similar please chime in, I'm not really sure where to start with this. Actually, I started with fedex and got a 2400 usd quote. It is about 250 lbs so I guess airfreight is out of the question, although I weight 50 lbs less and shipped myself by air for about 700 usd. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I was an International Trade Manager for many years and shipped to and from North America and Asia on a regular basis. I highly recommend contacting Expeditors International. They have offices in every country in every major port city. Not only can they manage all the import and export documents but they are also a customs broker so they can clear the motor into Malaysia without worrying about all the red tape. They can offer LCL ocean freight in one of their containers which is about 14 days port to port. I would guess total door to door would be well under $500. If you really need air they reserve freight space on all the major airlines so can offer a 3-5 day service for a small percentage of FedEx.

Good luck.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 12:53   #11

Boat: Custom designed wood 69 ft ketch; Moonfire

When you calculate costs to ship by sea, make sure you find all the hidden costs. Because of the influence of Longshoreman's unions, and security ,especially here on the west coast, you must transport your engine to a shipping facility to be placed in a container. At the other end there are bunkering charges and Customs charges for all the handling required to get the freight to your destination. If you don't pick up in a timely manner there can be storage charges as well.
I have been looking at the cost of shipping batteries from the US to Klang in Malaysia and it is often cheaper to use air freight than sea freight depending on the size and weight of the shipment.
Definitely mark all paperwork with "yacht in transit" ,also there is a Malay Customs code number that you should find and mark on the documents, that identifies the appropriate customs ruling. I have experienced a situation where DHL paid the customs duty and then demanded it from me on delivery . After protracted negotiations they reversed the demand and applied for a refund from Customs. If you decide to use a container from the west coast and have room to spare, send me a PM. I might be returning with freight next November.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 16:09   #12

Terima Kasih all, those were excellent responses.
I wish I could conclude this with a definitive result of the costs and agencies used, but this was an attempt to understand the process of shipping by sea.
I did learn a few things;
-it is quite simple to get a package less than 70 lbs. from USA to Malaysia through usps and the Malaysian post system.
-there is a consolidator based in Kuala Lumpur with prices between fedex and the national post system but uses DHL and includes customs import fees in their price.
-fedex is absurdly expensive but has an easy rate calculator
-there are no sea freight rate calculators like Fedex because there seems to be a lot of variables if a lcl (less than container load) has multiple ports to pass through, as was mentioned in the above post. (storage and various agent/port fees)

The recommendation of a single company with extensive reach was exactly what I was looking for. (Thanks!) I feared a final bill from multiple freight forwarding agencies that would exceed the cost of air freight.
Old 29-06-2016, 22:21   #13

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I'm also looking at getting a new Dickenson propane stove shipped to Langkawi.

Before you go through the shipping nightmare, you might want to check with a local company. There is a small marine store in Perdana Quay, opposite Telaga Harbor, than can get Yanmar engines shipped to Langkawi from Australia. He gave me a quote a few months ago on a new 3JH5E and the price was very reasonable. The company is BlueShelter and phone number is +60 49591410 / +60 175867225. The owners name is Manu and you can contact him via email at blueshelter699@gmail.com.

The quote he gave me for a 3JH3E without transmission was about $11,000AUD(about $8175US) including freight to Penang and another 2500 ringgits for shipping from Penang to Langkawi. I've been told that shipping from Penang to Langkawi is the expensive part. In my quote the shipping from Australia to Penang was only $450AUD($335US).
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 23:10   #14

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

Here's some info on the harmonization code for shipments into Malaysia. You should have them write that harmonization code on any shipments. I've never had a problem shipping anything into Langkawi, but I've never shipped anything ocean freight. Better safe than sorry!!

An important note on importing spare parts into Malaysia generally. Yacht spares are duty free if for a yacht in transit. The official government document says:
"Spares for ships in transit must carry harmonized tariff code 9800.00.700 and with this is tax free. Applies only to goods intended for incorporation in ships or vessels for the purpose of their construction, repair, maintenance or for fitting out or equipping such vessels. The spares imported are to be solely used by such vessels of an international nature departing to a destination outside the country."
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 23:26   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Guy called Jamie has just shipped an engine to Langkawi and went from Thailand to Langkawi to get it. You can find him on his website followtheboat.com I think. I have always shipped stuff straight to Langkawi to a friends address no duty ....

Tags
Malaysia