Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 17:28   #1

Beneteau CC 42 VS Jeanneau 42 DS

Hi everyone.

Me and my girlfriend have dicided to cruise the med from April to approx Oct 2017, and I have a real hard time choosing between the Jeanneau 42 DS and my latest love the Beneteau CC 42. For pretty much the same price I can get a 2006 Jeanneau or a Beneteau 2004. Any good advice would be appreciated.

Would also love to hear if you have any other hot tip on a good bang for the buck. We really do like those aft cabins, but also modern equipment. We Intend to spend approximately 100k euros + / -.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

PS : should probably mention that I have never sailed a boat on my own before ��

Regards
Anders Heli Hansen
Heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 21:14   #2

Re: Beneteau CC 42 VS Jeanneau 42 DS

My vote of the 2 goes with the 42 DS purely for the cockpit which is hopefully where you will spend your time ( you will need a good Bimini ). If you are looking at the western med your costs will be a lot less in a sub 12 meter boat if you spend time in marinas.

Regarding your lack of experience, I have to say are you sure about what you are planning? For the sake of your relationship a flotilla holiday might be a good start, and then see if you both like it. You will also need the skills to fix stuff or this enterprise will be expensive in terms not only of cash but time wasted waiting for so called professionals to turn up.

Regarding the purchase of the boat, buy the best example you can afford , it will always be easier to sell on and will cause you less hassle in your ownership. An average or tatty boat can only be sold on price,and there's plenty of them.

Good luck and fair winds!
Williamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:04   #3

Thank you so much.

I am probably leaning towards the Jeanneau my self. Only challenge it that the one I am considering buying is located in Las Palmas, meaning I'll have to cross over to Portugal in April. Not really sure how I feel about that.

As to my experience, or the lack of it, I have had a few vacations on sailing yachts in the Med and in the Virgin Islands earlier. Also I practically grew up on my father's boats. Still it's gonna be a pretty steep learning curve. Anyway I feel pretty confident I will manage. The challenge I guess is part of the deal.

Thanks again for all your advice. Noted with care.

Regards
Anders
Old 04-02-2017, 08:11   #4

Good advice about buying the best example of a boat you like, leave lots of time for shopping and don't fall in love with anything, there are tons of sailboats for sale in the Med and cash is king. If you could find a real trustworthy broker it might help you due to your lack of experience but you can still do the shopping.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:54   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42 CC

You might also consider a Jeanneau 42CC. A beautiful boat too. I have one. It is NOT for sale, but you can find som info on my homepage Agten for tvaers med SY Azad
SY-Azad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Having sailed newer versions of both I prefer the Jenneau. On the 44ds I have sailed there are some handholds in the overhead. Having almost knocked myself out being flung across the cabin of a Bene- that is a sore point (pun) for me.

I also feel the Jenneau sails better- but that could have been the sails on the two boats.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:03   #7

Thanks mate. Did not know about that one. Love that classic look. Perfect for the two of us. Very beautiful boat! Will for sure check out your website.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2017, 12:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Having sailed newer versions of both I prefer the Jenneau. On the 44ds I have sailed there are some handholds in the overhead. Having almost knocked myself out being flung across the cabin of a Bene- that is a sore point (pun) for me.

I also feel the Jenneau sails better- but that could have been the sails on the two boats.
Thanks! Very valuable
Old 04-02-2017, 12:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Good advice about buying the best example of a boat you like, leave lots of time for shopping and don't fall in love with anything, there are tons of sailboats for sale in the Med and cash is king. If you could find a real trustworthy broker it might help you due to your lack of experience but you can still do the shopping.
Great advice! Thanks so much!!
Old 04-02-2017, 17:28   #10

Boat: Oyster 55

I've sailed the Beneteau 42CC a couple of times in BVI charter, and while the aft cabin is wonderful, the saloon and the cockpit are cramped. Even the forward berth is cramped. And I didn't think it sailed very well. (Could have been too much growth on the hull.) I've sailed a Jeanneau 41 in Thailand and liked it much better.

I question whether you are truly ready to plunge into a boat purchase. Don't fall for the first pretty face.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 17:29   #11

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

I like the Jeanneau 42DS except for the cockpit which is awful. There is are 2 levels on the bench seats which make it very uncomfortable to sit with your back to the bulkhead. The backs on all the cockpit seats are low to allow for extra head room in the aft cabin. As a result there is no comfortable seating in the cockpit. I sailed one for 2 weeks and would never buy one.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 17:48   #12

It's a process. This thread is part of it. I will know when I am ready to purchase. Right now I am thinking Jeanneau 39 DS. It makes a perfect compromise on most ends for me. Found a practically cruise ready boat in Cadiz at the limit of our budget. It would also make a perfect starting point.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:34   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Heli, you might also like to include the possibility of a Jeanneau 43ds. If you get the version which is fully flexible for cabin configurations (2, 3, or 4 doubles) and it still has all the necessary panels you will be able to use it with the aft cabin fully opened out to full width. Some privately owned versions of the 43ds have the 3 cabin version with the forward area fixed as one large owners' cabin instead of being convertible into two. Some also have the aft area fixed as one aft , full width cabin which might also suit you but loses the flexibility of being able to split it into two doubles. Even if the cabins are opemned up fwd & aft it is worth checking if the dividing panaels exist in their pre-designed slots under the berths. Personally i prefer in mast furling for the main (easier solo) which also sails very well but she will sail better with fully battened main (in lazy-jacks). The genoa is usually a 150% which is fine for the Med. For yr budget you will probably need to focus on 2002-2004 model of the 43ds.

Very easy to sail (even solo) and i changed my port halyard winch to electric and did all sorts of other mods. If you do not intend to own for more than 6-8 months it will not be worth yr while to make any modifications. Just find one that has all the bells & whistles already but better to stay away from ex-charter boats.
Andrew

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau