Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 19:28   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Understand they are owned by the same company and each has several production lines but are there any quality differences between these two brands?

In GM terms, is it Chevrolet vs. Cadillac or Pontiac vs. Buick or Oldsmobile?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 19:42   #2

Boat: Jeanneua 36
Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Iv owned a bene 411 & a Bene 381 over the last 6 yrs. Now owned a Jeanneau so 35 the so 35 leaves the Benes for dead.don't get me wrong the Benes where a nice comfortable, reasonable good sailing yacht but the Jeanneau just feels and sails like a proper yacht, points well, sails lovely of the wind and doesn't creek as mush or slam as bad. Keel fitting more robust,all-round just a better boat all round, like a jaguar to a daimler.I cant say the same now as Beneteua have taken over Jeanneau.my model is a 2003 os 35 the 2012 os 36 looks just the same as the 2003.Hope this helps bill.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 19:58   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quality of build - six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Only difference I see is marketing strategy.
Old 08-02-2014, 19:59   #4

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuff View Post
Iv owned a bene 411 & a Bene 381 over the last 6 yrs. Now owned a Jeanneau so 35 the so 35 leaves the Benes for dead.don't get me wrong the Benes where a nice comfortable, reasonable good sailing yacht but the Jeanneau just feels and sails like a proper yacht, points well, sails lovely of the wind and doesn't creek as mush or slam as bad. Keel fitting more robust,all-round just a better boat all round, like a jaguar to a daimler.I cant say the same now as Beneteua have taken over Jeanneau.my model is a 2003 os 35 the 2012 os 36 looks just the same as the 2003.Hope this helps bill.

Uhh.... What?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 21:26   #5

Purely anecdotal, bigpuff as they are built in the same factory. The only thing different is the design team.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:10   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

At about the time that Jeaneau went under and Beneteau bought them (mid 90s) I bought a Jeaneau 35.2. The main differences were a bit less Euro look but also the J had a Kevlar layer in the layup and the hull was built with glassed in stringers and floors rather than the dropped in molded pan that BCH does.

I don't know if they are still built that way but one way to find out is to pull up the floor boards and look and see if it has stringers underneath rather than a double floor. The glassed in design is stronger and won't come unglued (not that one has ever done that) and you can get to all lower hull surfaces if you want to install a thruhull in a weird area (not that you would ever want to do that).

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:15   #7

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
At about the time that Jeaneau went under and Beneteau bought them (mid 90s) I bought a Jeaneau 35.2. The main differences were a bit less Euro look but also the J had a Kevlar layer in the layup and the hull was built with glassed in stringers and floors rather than the dropped in molded pan that BCH does.

I don't know if they are still built that way but one way to find out is to pull up the floor boards and look and see if it has stringers underneath rather than a double floor. The glassed in design is stronger and won't come unglued (not that one has ever done that) and you can get to all lower hull surfaces if you want to install a thruhull in a weird area (not that you would ever want to do that).

David
+1

About the same time (late 90's) we looked at some J's and B's in the 40 foot range. We both felt that the J's were a step up at the time. I just sold a 2010 B-36.7 and 6 months ago looked at a few new Jeanneau's, build quality was the same as on our Beneteau.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
glassed in stringers and floors rather than the dropped in molded pan that BCH does.

David
Completely agree ... glassed in grid system is a far superior method than glued in liner system.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:43   #9

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

When shopping for my boat, I looked at Bene's and found them to be great boats. Outside of my budget, but it was nice to look through them. Also checked out a Jene...and my dream boat was found. It was older and was (to me) a work of art. Everything seemed so well fitted, it was like looking at a different class of boat. I would feel bad learning the ropes in something like that as any smudge in the finish do to my lack of sea skill would be heart rending.

They are both nice boats.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:46   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Beneteaus are for the charter/family market with design towards more roomy interiors..
the Jeaneau leans more towards the performance side of the cruising market.. they just sail better..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:58   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I'm on my third Jeanneau and, for a short bit, had a Beneteau. I can't compare the build quality directly, since the Beneteau 43 I had was a lightly built one and it wouldn't be fair to make a comparison.
The interior design is quite different between the two brands and I guess it comes down to individual taste.
I did a careful comparison between the Beneteau 57 and Jeanneau 57 and felt that the Jeanneau was more solidly built with a bit more effort spent in ergonomics inside. The carpentry was superior and the look-and-feel of the boat in general was more appealing to me.

A poster earlier mentioned that they are built in the same factory. That is incorrect. The Jeanneau factory in Les Herbiers, France builds only Jeanneau hulls and boats.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:12   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Beneteaus are for the charter/family market with design towards more roomy interiors..
the Jeaneau leans more towards the performance side of the cruising market.. they just sail better..
My experience in 90's to late 2k's Benny's n Jenny's falls exactly in line with these posts...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 21:32   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 509SO 50.5'

As a 2012 Jeanneau 509SO owner I couldn't be more pleased with the quality and sailability of the Jeanneau brand.
Steelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 11:31   #14

Jeanneau and Beneteau boats from around 42 to 50 ft are all built at Cholet, was there only 2 weeks ago, they are all on the same production line. I was informed there are different factories for 50 plus feet and less than 40 ish feet, can't quite remember the exact size. Building boats of a similar size on the same production line is the most efficient way apparently. However I did not see any of the Sense range at Cholet, but lots of Oceanis .
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 11:36   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

personally, Id like the hull of a jeanneau and the interior of the Beneteau. but at this stage having sailed and delivered countless, Id say each model in the lineup has different characteristics.

dave

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau