Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2018, 17:16   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sailmaking standards

I'm in the market for a new mainsail. My first thought is to go to Doyle who made my sail last. I don't know how many rows of stitching they had but it was a horizontal dacron sail about 8 to 10 oz for a 41 foot boat. They have lasted 22 years including sailing from BC to La Paz and back to SF.

I went to put the main away last week and my hand went through the leach. Not worth repairing the leach again.

I would like to go with fully battened sails.

I like the idea of going with dacron for its simplicity.

Does anyone have a set of build standards for sails so that we can be sure to compare apples to apples as I shop for the best value.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 17:54   #2

Boat: 53' Cutter
Re: Sailmaking standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Does anyone have a set of build standards for sails ...
There is really no such thing. Different sailmakers will specify different cloths, weights, cuts, etc., based on their experiences and customer feedback. It is best to tell the sailmaker what you want to accomplish and let them give you options from which to choose.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 19:00   #3

Boat: Tartan 37

Talk to the sailmarkers, about your plans for your boat. They all will have recommendations and most will be very good. Better than advice from this forum. There's is a ton of personal preference with sails, and a ton of options...more than anchors. For my 37'er, 2 + 2, with two reefs, triple stitched, with draft lines, ensign, cuttingham 14" up and loose footed, out of 8-9oz quality dacron.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 20:02   #4

I ended up going with Hood sails a 7.7 Vektron with 2 reefs triple stitched and glued draft lines 5 full battens. One thing I really liked is that the leach line is running over the head board to the tack. This will give me the ability to control the leach line from the cockpit.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 26-03-2018, 20:25   #5

Boat: Tartan 37

Good deal. New sails sprouts wing on a sailboat.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 23:03   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
This will give me the ability to control the leach line from the cockpit.
I wouldn't advise adding this line to the mess in the cockpit, Charlie. With a nice new sail, you likely will not be adjusting it very much... leave it at the gooseneck IMO.

Jim
Old 27-03-2018, 19:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I wouldn't advise adding this line to the mess in the cockpit, Charlie. With a nice new sail, you likely will not be adjusting it very much... leave it at the gooseneck IMO.

Jim
I think what I will have them do is to run the line long. I can run it thru a bullet block at the base of the mast and then thru the halyard organizer and put it on an existing cleat. If I don't like it I can always cut it shorter.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-03-2018, 19:11   #8

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I think what I will have them do is to run the line long. I can run it thru a bullet block at the base of the mast and then thru the halyard organizer and put it on an existing cleat. If I don't like it I can always cut it shorter.
As JimCate suggests, if you need to adjust your leech line that much something is wrong with the sail. It might need re-cutting? Re-cutting a new sail is somewhat redundant.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail