Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 16:23   #1

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!
California/Sacramento Delta Sailing

Hi All!

Can anyone suggest an easy/fun place to go sailing/gunkholing/motoring in the Delta to get a feel for it? I am trying to find a spot to help my girlfriend get more comfortable with the "sailing" experience. We have a small Catalina 22 and looking for a simple overnight trip. We live in Sacramento. It would be nice if we could also get off the boat for a bit to explore the area - need to mix it up because she does not want to spend all weekend on the boat. We have experience in lake/bay sailing, but looking to broaden our horizons.

Any suggestions on a fun weekend in the Delta would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:27   #2

Re: California/Sacramento Delta Sailing

Check this web sit.
http://www.latitude38.com/index.lasso
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:03   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

My son, who's visiting from Washington DC, and I are heading to Owl Harbor tomorrow (8/2) to sail on friend's Cal 2-27. She sailed it up about a month ago and has been keeping it in the Delta for some warm water sailing. We haven't made any plans yet on where we'll be going, but will report back. I've had my boat in SF Bay for 4 years now, but the farthest upstream destinations I've taken it have been Petaluma and Vallejo. Recalling the narrow, meandering sloughs of my childhood in Florida, I've been a bit of a chicken about it. Now I'm really looking forward to going up there -- on another person's boat!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 20:02   #4

C22 from Sacramento I believe would limit you to the Northern Delta especially if you want to anchor out and take in all the great delta nature.

Ive got three options for ya off the Old Sac R.:
1)at Grand and Sutter islands is a yellow bascule bridge. Raise it and anchor on your stbd side several boat lengths in.
2) Walnut Grove has a public dock just before the green bascule (WGB). No water/power, walk to bar/restaurant/cafe.
3) Just past the WGB to port is the beautiful Georgiana Slough, call that bridge, it's a swing, and your first bend, about 1nm down, is a great anchorage drop your bow anchor and jump in with your stern line, swim to the beach and tie off to a tree. Lots of fools gold glistening in that beach this year.
Have fun!!!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 20:45   #5

We went to the Sacramento Delta last summer to see all of the sloughs and sights. It's an awesome place. Here's a refernce for you: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...uide-6139.html .

Be prepared for some hot weather such as 105 at Locke. But then, you live in Sacto and you're aware of that.

Love that Catalina 22, had one for years. Took it offshore to Santa Cruz Island and down to LA Bay. One of the all time great boats.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, cal, california, delta, men, sail, sailing