Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 05:47   #1

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Finishing cockpit locker door

Hi, The Shearwater, a Ranger 25 tug, came with two nice teak cockpit lockers, each finished with oil. The oil finish has turned black with mold.

I can wash it off with some difficulty and varnish it like the interior wood, but I'd like something more durable.

Can I paint these vertical doors with exterior white paint paint? Would this hold up as youse paint does?

Or Cetol, better than varnish but maybe not as good as paint.

Thanks /Stu
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Finishing cockpit locker door

Interior of lockers?
Id say sand, prime with oil based Kilz and paint with oil based paint if you want paint.
But I so love teak I'm afraid that I would have to try to save it before I painted
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:11   #3

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Thanks for the reply.

The locker interiors are all glass and spotless.

My boat's problem is with the doors - they are teak and have molded.

I think I'll try KILZ primer and an overcoat in white.

/Stu
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:22   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

In my experience of you paint anything exterior on a boat with anything other than a two part paint, you're actually creating more maintenance for yourself. There are a few one part paints which might work, like Interlux Bilge Cote or one of their topside paints, but if you're going to paint them you might as well use a two part paint so it will be durable and last.

If the teak is very dark, I would first go at it with a one part teak cleaner. Restrain yourself from scrubbing hard with the grain, as the pulp in the grain is very soft and you'll just scrub it out. Apply the cleaner, let it work, then brush across or diagonally with the grain. A next step is oxalic acid which bleaches the tannins, getting rid of darkening.

I would clean them up as best you can and then decide on how to finish them. If you get the wood back to respectable I'd definitely consider Cetol Natural. It looks close enough to varnish to get by and is easier to apply and maintain.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:34   #5

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I took all the teak out, washed it, lightly sanded it, cleaned it, and then used Lemon Oil, and it turned out great. Additionally it has a nice aroma. Twice I year I wipe it down again, and it's just fine.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:48   #6

Boat: Casacde 36

Yep, I'd do the same. It's much easier to keep it clean and re-oil them in the long run.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:16   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Painting teak is a sin.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:25   #8

If cleaned properly and painted white, the finish will far outperform any clear coat and is much more UV resistant. But I bet the teak looks nice.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:11   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you do decide to paint it, a good tip that was passed on to me, is to varnish it first. Not in order to make it pretty, but so that when you paint it, the paint doesn't get into the wood's grain. Thus, later, when you or the next owner wants to strip the paint, it's much easier, as the paint hasn't been absorbed into the wood, thanks to the varnish.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:48   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Scrub with TSP, scrub with Deck cleaner/renewer. Rub on Clear teak oil. If you don't like the result, paint with two-part or oil based enamel.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:09   #11

Boat: Island Packet 32

Painting teak IS a sin. Take them off and take them home. Scrub them with soap and water. Lightly scrub them with oxalic acid only across the grain, very gently. This will bring out all the natural color. Then rinse well and dry. Sand smooth with 240 and finer. Lay on several coats of clear, gloss varnish. Follow the directions on the varnish you choose, some with right weather conditions will let you lay on multiple coats without sanding. Build it up until it is it fills all dimples and is flat, level and smooth. It might take 10 coats. It will be the glorious highlight of your boat and make everything else look good. It is easy to maintain in small pieces. Rinses right off, and lasts for many years unless it is right out in the blazing sun, in which case you fashion a sunbrella cover. Even if you don't, you can lightly sand and apply a coat once a year. It truly makes your boat look classy. Paint it...any other work boat. Just my opinion...but nice teak bright work is a head turner at any dock or launch ramp. We see it and intuitively know you are a skilled and caring sailor.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:31   #12

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
Painting teak IS a sin. Take them off and take them home. Scrub them with soap and water. Lightly scrub them with oxalic acid only across the grain, very gently. This will bring out all the natural color. Then rinse well and dry. Sand smooth with 240 and finer. Lay on several coats of clear, gloss varnish. Follow the directions on the varnish you choose, some with right weather conditions will let you lay on multiple coats without sanding. Build it up until it is it fills all dimples and is flat, level and smooth. It might take 10 coats. It will be the glorious highlight of your boat and make everything else look good. It is easy to maintain in small pieces. Rinses right off, and lasts for many years unless it is right out in the blazing sun, in which case you fashion a sunbrella cover. Even if you don't, you can lightly sand and apply a coat once a year. It truly makes your boat look classy. Paint it...any other work boat. Just my opinion...but nice teak bright work is a head turner at any dock or launch ramp. We see it and intuitively know you are a skilled and caring sailor.

Good advice, Captain! Painting teak is like hanging earrings on a pig! Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:44   #13

Boat: Corbin 39

Teak is hard to keep a coating on. However if you prime with smiths CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer) you will have no problem.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:03   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

I just found that rhe laundry product Oxi Clean really lifts the dirt and dicoloration and oil from teak. I used it on my teak outboard motor bracket boards. Real easy too. Read it in another post somewhere recently.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
I just found that rhe laundry product Oxi Clean really lifts the dirt and dicoloration and oil from teak. I used it on my teak outboard motor bracket boards. Real easy too. Read it in another post somewhere recently.
Yes, many things do very well, even Joy. For real tough jobs TSP or most powder laundry detergents do well. (GLoves!) But if you scrub with the grain you will make the teak rough taking out the soft wood between the hard wood.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit