Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 10:39   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39
Electronics upgrade question

Hello everyone,

First, I'd like to introduce myself as I am new to the CF and just bought my first cruising sailboat a few months ago. She's a 2001 Hallberg Rassy 39 with original Simrad CA40 chartplotters (main at nav desk and remote in cockpit), Simrad radar, Simrad CA15 instruments for wind, depth, etc.

The remote unit just went belly up the other day. The screen comes on and then off, on then off until I unplug it. Simrad support guys say processor is dead, parts no longer available and not supported for years. Looks like time to upgrade. Besides, I found the remote unit fairly useless from the helm since it was mounted way forward under the dodger. And it was slow and clunky to use. Then I tried an Android tablet mounted to the helm rail. Much better, but hard to see in daylight. Did not work with gloves or a waterproof cover. So, I am looking for suggestions for a plotter to mount on the helm rail. Maybe a Garmin? There is a connector at the helm the the PO had installed, but not sure what it is connected to. Power only or NMEA 1083 to black box? No idea, but it would be nice to get depth, SOG, radar and AIS at the helm. Not sure if thats possible with this setup. Plan B would be to upgrade the whole instrument package? $$$ Ouch!

Thanks in advance for any suggestion to solve this puzzle!
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics