Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 09:05   #1

Cooper Seabird 37 Ketch opinions

Hello all,

I've been searching for our first cruising sailboat for about 8 months, and have looked at everything from a C&C 26 to a Westsail 32, and lots in between. So far my favourites have been: Nicholson 31 & 35, C&C 35, but the boats I viewed were either already sold, had issues, or were too costly. Yesterday we looked at a C&C 30 for $25K, which was mint, except sails were tired, and a Catalina 30 for $21K which was in average to good shape, but no furler, and tired sails. Neither boat got me too excited, although the C&C was in beautiful condition, almost like new.

Now, a 1980 Cooper Seabird 37 Ketch has come up for $20K, which is right around my budget. I've read up as much as I can find, which isn't a lot. They have a long shallow keel (4' draft), and don't carry a lot of canvas. I've heard stories like they don't tack well, and won't sail to windward. Others report that tuned properly, they will sail to windward ok. The SA/D of 13 or so means it's not a light air boat for sure.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/sea-bird-37

I'm trying to decide if I should take a ferry to see this boat, or just pass on it. I know it's a bit outside the category of boat I'm looking for, but if it sails reasonably well, it should also provide a bit more comfort in poor weather than most other boats in my price range.

I'm interested to hear from others who are familiar with the Seabird, either in Ketch or PH version.

Thanks
sgwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooper, ketch