Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43   #1

Dufour 27 Opinions

I am buying an experienced -1975- Dufour 27, but get little info on the internet on this type of boat.
Who can help me with information on sailing characteristics, built, structural misfits etc?
Marty1
marty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Try this.... 27
They were/are very popular over this side and still command a good price despite their age....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:36   #3

Boat: Dufour 34 - Electric propulsion
I've owned a 1973 Safari (27), currently own a 1975 34, and I am very familiar with the 27 of that vintage, as I crew on one. They are excellent, solid boats, very well built, and great sailors. The most common problem seems to be soft decks, something that is usually very easy to fix. All three were re-powered as the original Volvos last less than the boats! So... decks and engine condition would be first in my check list.
Layouts are very well thought, and very comfortable for cruising. Especially the cockpits, with high coamings for great back support.
Check this one, is in fantastic shape: 1974 Dufour 27
Alberto
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 09:22   #4

Hi, I also own a Dufour 27

I own a 1974 Dufour 27 and have had it for about 10 years, perhaps I can address any issues or concerns you have. It would be easier for me to help you, if you would post questions and I will do my best to reply.
But first I have to ask you two questions. Dufour built 2 different Dufour 27’s. The Dufour Safari is a Dufour 27 with a traditional raised cabin and modest freeboard; the other sailboat is the Dufour 27, it has a distinctive flush deck and raised Freeboard to accommodate a six foot interior cabin. I own the second, the Dufour 27. In the cockpit right below the Tiller is the boat’s identification plate, what is your hull number? To the left of the Haul number is the year/anne that the boat was produced. I have Haul 193, John Hojaboom who owns Papillion has haul number 314. I am asking as I would love to know how many Dufour 27’s were produced.
I believe that John and the remaining active Dufour 27 sailors. Great to hear from you and welcome to the Club.
RPaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 22:16   #5

Boat: dufour 27
I,m a dufour 27 owner in the last 12 years. A have all your questions. - You can contact me at: gzach1 (at) juno (dot) com - george zach - - happy sailing.
george zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, George.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 13:22   #7

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Dufour 27 Opinions

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry for the late reply but I too am new to this forum. I have a 1973 Dufour Safari and have had it for some three years. I love it. It is a solid boat and sails well including into the wind. I am six feet tall and find it big enough. I have even lived on board for months at a time. Sure, I wouldn't mind a little extra room but I find it big enough given it's size.

The boat is great for single handing while still providing enough comfort to do some cruising. I can easily fit four into the cockpit and have on occasion had more. The cockpit is very comfortable and pretty dry even in a good blow.

I have a soft spot on the deck but this isn't a big issue. I will either have it cored or filled with epoxy. I am researching the options now. I also noticed that the stern cleats didn't have any backing plates to speak of. I would check all the cleats and see if there are any stress cracks. If there are, or even if there are not, I would consider adding some. They are easy to add since the access is quite good.

I have a Volvo MD6A engine that is still chugging along. If the previous owner didn't log his maintenance, I recommend you change the filters and oil immediately and again in ten or twenty hours. Also be sure to clean the air filter and check the belts. Be sure to keep spares on board.

I am finishing up some changes to my fuel system. I have replaced much of the line with new Racor hose and fittings. I added a Racor fuel filter and a three way valve. I can now turn off the fuel to the filter or drain the tank without disconnecting anything. I did this because one of the braided fuel lines had rusted and typical of a Volvo, the part was absurdly priced. It was some 90 Euros for one braided line.

I also had to change the stuffing in the stuffing box. It was quite easy to do one I loosened the locking nut. I used PB Blaster and it worked amazingly well. N.B. DO NOT GET PB BLASTER ON ANY RUBBER PARTS. I sprayed it onto a Q-tip and applied it. Here is a great link to assist you Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

The sail locker is big and I am making some improvements in it. I am adding a step inside the locker to make it easier to get into and out of it. I am also adding a row or wooden hooks to hang things on. Additionally, I have many mounts for items including hand pumps, tools, etc. Finally, I have added dry deck to let moisture drip away from anything in the locker.

My Safari seems to be one of the few with a wheel and based upon my research it must have been an aftermarket addition.

I am not happy with the state of my wiring and wish to tidy it up and fix a few poorly done old repairs. I would check the wiring carefully. In particular check the grounds on everything especially the generator and batteries.

If you wish to see the boat you can go to SailingNetworks - Crew Finder, Boat Register, Marine Directory, Sailing Calendar, Yacht Marketplace, Marine Job Board and look for the Honey Bee. Eventually I want to repaint it. I am also researching CopperCoat, HullSpeed, and other bottom paints.

I have some electronic copies of sales brochures and some links to Dufour Safari sites with dimensions, etc. Please let me know if I may assist you. Unfortunately I have not been able to find an owner's manual yet.

I wish you the best of luck with your boat. I am sure you will enjoy it.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 16:16   #8

Boat: Dufour 27
Re: Hi, I also own a Dufour 27

Hi,

My Dufour 27, Perigny, (constructed 1976) is hull no 498. I believe the Dufour 27 was in production until 1977.

Perigny is moored in Carlingford, Co. Louth, Ireland. Interested in hearing from other Dufour 27 owners

K.

Re:

"I own the second, the Dufour 27. In the cockpit right below the Tiller is the boat’s identification plate, what is your hull number? To the left of the Haul number is the year/anne that the boat was produced. I have Haul 193, John Hojaboom who owns Papillion has haul number 314. I am asking as I would love to know how many Dufour 27’s were produced."
kohagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 20:18   #9

Boat: Dufour 27
Smile Re: Dufour 27 Opinions

Hello all,

Sorry it has been so long since I checked this web site, a few years ago I posted the note regarding who has the newest Dufour 27.

Thanks for replying Perigny in Carlingford, Co. Louth, Ireland.

Congratulations you are the "youngster".

If you send me a picture or two of your Dufour 27 I will gladly add it to my Dufour 27 web site. www.1976Dufour27.com

Perhaps I should change the web site name to just Dufour27.
WeekendSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour, morgan