Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 12:45   #1

Cruising Mexico from US

So this is my first time posting even though I have been a member and reading through the forums for the past year. That being said - yes I have looked at the internet and done a search on the forums (the results had nothing to do with my search query) before posting these questions.

My search on the internet (noonsite.com, www.gob.mx, mexonline.com/nboatmx) gave me some information but I wanted to see if others out there who have sailed from the US to Mexico and on to Panama have additional information, sites, or books that could be useful.

My questions primarily have to do with documentation and requirements needed when sailing into Mexico, tips to make this process as easy as possible, and any other information others with experience might give. Also, I saw on one website you need a Captain's license to sail into Mexico but I have not seen this anywhere else; is there any validity to this?

Thanks!
svlucinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:11   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cruising Mexico from US

if you are sailing into mexico you need passport visa t i p fishing license crew list and a fuel receipt or zarpe. west coast fuel receipt works.
you need to stop in first port of entry. from usa that is ensenada. check into country. you will also need some money.
stopping in san diego is one way to get your paperwork started
or just appear in ensenada at port capt office. they will walk you thru it.
if you sailing baja haha all this is taken care of for you and all your questions will be answered before you leave usa. haha is well organized.
information can be found in the mexican inm site.... http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page...rizacion_Visas
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:38   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Depends on whether you are going on the East or West coast of Mexico.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:54   #4

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

You are thinking way too hard about this. All you need to enter Mexico is a passport valid for at least 6 months, current boat registration, liability insurance on your boat and a winning smile. When you get to Ensenada, find a slip in a marina. We have always used Cruise Port Marina, but Baja Naval and Marina Coral are also options. The next day the marina staff will take you to the Capitania el Puerto to check in. Customs, immigration, port captain, bank (where you will pay your fees), fishing license are all in the same room. Here you will arrange for your Temporary Import Permit (TIP), receive your visa, buy a fishing license and be cleared by customs and port captain. That's it. For reals. Usually takes about an hour, then you can go get a taco and a beer and start enjoying Mexico.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:19   #5

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine.

There are TIP tips in the recent articles. They also have a First Timers Guide to Mexico, search on their website.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:39   #6

Most challenging issue for entry will be cancelling the TIP for your boat if it was issued to a previous owner. Baja Ha Ha folks, California Sport Fishing Assiciation and Fito at Marina Coral in Ensenada are all very helpful. Mexican Consulate in Sacramento is hosting an event this month for boaters needing to cancel the TIP of a previous owner and secure a new one. A TIP is good for ten years.

Be sure to take out a Mexican liability insurance policy and make sure your regular insurance covers you—if you have regular insurance.

Many marinas will ask for copies of your TIP, Mexican insurance, regular insurance, US Coast Documentation, a receipt from the US (anything—fuel, utility, etc).

Remember—no guns, no ammo, no drugs; they may all be legal in the US but not Mexico!
Dean Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:46   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are many sources of info and for info regarding cruising mexico. most current is with downwind marine, and women who cruise mexico, a facebook group, as is sea of cortez sailors. all the news is in these resources. i have noticed richard receives information from these sites also.
marcia from downwind marine is updating the downwind marine cruisers guide to mexico as we typo here
specific questions are answered rapidly.
liability ins must be via a company with feet in mexico. boat us and geico are not among those groups. if you havent appropriate ins, the port capitan will guide you in ensenada to the proper locale and for 210 usd you will buy mexico liability then return to cpt of port for completion of your check in.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 15:29   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
You are thinking way too hard about this. All you need to enter Mexico is a passport valid for at least 6 months, current boat registration, liability insurance on your boat and a winning smile. When you get to Ensenada, find a slip in a marina. We have always used Cruise Port Marina, but Baja Naval and Marina Coral are also options. The next day the marina staff will take you to the Capitania el Puerto to check in. Customs, immigration, port captain, bank (where you will pay your fees), fishing license are all in the same room. Here you will arrange for your Temporary Import Permit (TIP), receive your visa, buy a fishing license and be cleared by customs and port captain. That's it. For reals. Usually takes about an hour, then you can go get a taco and a beer and start enjoying Mexico.

Well written, very accurate.

I assume you are on West Coast since you mention Mexico as first country and Panama as destination.

No zarpe needed in Ensenada! There is no easy way to get such document for US citizens, at least in San Diego. Ensenada officials know all this. Cruise Port Marina was OK, new and great staff, but watch out if you have a big boat they may assign you a very short slip and the marina is very tight compared to most we are used to.

Maybe see you down south in a month. This will be my third trip south and I never entered the HaHa. The strict schedule, anchoring with a huge crowd and having to pay for the privilege, is not my idea of cruising. I can understand it though, for the newbie it gives a lot of info and quick learning.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 16:30   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

Panama is also a destination for many when sailing to the east coast of MX. It's how some people sail around the world. I'm not sure about all the differences between the east and west check in but there are a couple. At Isla Mujeres you need CBP form 1300 and you don't need insurance and anybody with a boat, is a captain.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 17:06   #10

Boat: Vancouver 27

Piling on to the sound advise already given..do you know the past history of the boat? If older and it's been intl before, there may be a previous TIP open on it and that TIP will be a pita to close once in mx waters. It took us two weeks of runaround out of Isla mujeres to close our POs. Reference the articles others mentioned.

If you're not sure about the TIP before you go make sure you have your bill of sale onhand, and as Mike said, a big firm happy smile. The latter is the most important.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 17:31   #11

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlucinda View Post
additional information, sites, or books that could be useful.
This guys southbound_group@yahoogroups.com also have tips to share.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Mexico