Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 09:32   #1

Boat: 1982 O'Day 39
Delivery Captain: Bristol, RI to Norfolk, VA

Hello everyone, I am in need of a delivery captain/sailing Yoda!

I have a new to me 1982 O'Day 39 located in Bristol, RI and need to relocate her to Norfolk, VA. I was recently transferred to Norfolk and am occupying temporary billeting, which I need to vacate by the end of the month. I am available now until then to execute the move but need an experienced captain to help me get there, teaching me to single hand her along the way.

About the vessel:

Victory One
1982 O'Day 39
O'DAY 39 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
6'4" draft

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../#.W2sMttVKiUk (for some additional pictures and info)

Survey completed June 2018. Work was recently completed by the marina where she's located to remedy all points of concern (mast step rebuilt, sea cocks and thru-hulls replaced, bottom painted, rigging inspected). She is solid and seaworthy, ready to sail. I will also have a USCG VSC scheduled during the prep/provision day.

About me:

Active duty Marine (physically fit and ready to sail)
Limited experience but I am a quick study and very capable.
Cool, calm, collected...I won't crumble under pressure.
Easy going, I get along with pretty much everyone.
Humble and hungry to learn.

The tentative plan:

Travel to Bristol, RI (date TBD, but ideally NLT 8/18)
Full day for final preparations/provisioning
Set sail...
Arrival NLT 8/26

Considerations:
-We can day sail and anchor overnight, or if the budget can be met with an additional crew member added we can sail day and night. I am not closed off to any possibilities.
-My wife could possibly serve as crew as well. She has zero boating experience, but she's a retired Marine and can get the job done. She would also love to benefit from the tutelage of an experienced sailor.
-We need to stay in coastal waters for insurance purposes.

Full disclosure: I had someone locked on to sail her down with me but have lost contact with them. This is a solicitation for a backup if they've completely fallen off the face of the earth. Without them, and definitely without a backup, I am in a tight spot. At the end of the month I will have nowhere to live. If you are an experienced captain with an opening in your schedule and a desire to impart your vast knowledge, please reach out to me.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration,
Ralph
unknownplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Delivery Captain: Bristol, RI to Norfolk, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownplaces View Post

I have a new to me 1982 O'Day 39 located in Bristol, RI and need to relocate her to Norfolk, VA. I was recently transferred to Norfolk and am occupying temporary billeting, which I need to vacate by the end of the month. I am available now until then to execute the move but need an experienced captain to help me get there, teaching me to single hand her along the way.

About the vessel:

Victory One

1982 O'Day 39

6'4" draft

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../#.W2sMttVKiUk (for some additional pictures and info)

Survey completed June 2018. Work was recently completed by the marina where she's located to remedy all points of concern (mast step rebuilt, sea cocks and thru-hulls replaced, bottom painted, rigging inspected). She is solid and seaworthy, ready to sail. I will also have a USCG VSC scheduled during the prep/provision day.

About me:

The tentative plan:

Set sail...

Arrival NLT 8/26

Considerations:

-We can day sail and anchor overnight, or if the budget can be met with an additional crew member added we can sail day and night. I am not closed off to any possibilities.

-My wife could possibly serve as crew as well. She has zero boating experience, but she's a retired Marine and can get the job done. She would also love to benefit from the tutelage of an experienced sailor.

Full disclosure: I had someone locked on to sail her down with me but have lost contact with them. This is a solicitation for a backup if they've completely fallen off the face of the earth. Without them, and definitely without a backup, I am in a tight spot. At the end of the month I will have nowhere to live. If you are an experienced captain with an opening in your schedule and a desire to impart your vast knowledge, please reach out to me.

Ralph

PM sent
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownplaces View Post

About the vessel:

Victory One
1982 O'Day 39
6'4" draft

About me:

The tentative plan:

Set sail...
Arrival NLT 8/26

Considerations:

Ralph
I am a licensed captain with over 100000 mi of delivery experience.
I am available to help you, I can provide a resume and references upon request. email me at flordjr@aol.com if I can be of service.
Captain Frank Lord
72harley1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:00   #4

I am interested. Retired Aircraft Maintenance Officer...…..management not technician.
USCG (6 Pak) License. Only did one delivery on ocean, before license. I am a female and now an RN. Have owned a sailboat since 1988. Downside... I do not believe I am that experienced to do something like that with someone who knows nothing about sailing. I mean someone who has never been on a sailboat. I am very safety conscious. You can email me at mercedes6167@hotmail.com. My name is Jan Wilson and live near Anapolis.
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:13   #5

Boat: 1982 O'Day 39

Thank you everyone who has expressed interest! I am no longer in need of a delivery captain. I wish you all the very best.

Fair winds and following seas,
Ralph
unknownplaces is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, delivery