Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Asia
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2018, 11:10   #1

Boat: Catana 42
Recommendations for broker/surveyor/help in Thailand/Malaysia

Hello.

New to the forum, so please forgive any faux pas.

We are looking to purchase a 40'ish catamaran for full-time regional cruising in SE Asia. We are living in San Francisco now.

There are a few boats that we are interested in that we found in Phuket/Langkawi, and I expect we will find some more in the next year (we plan to start sailing in June 2019).

I am trying to find in the Phuket/Langkawi area:
- A buyer's broker
- A surveyor
- A check-er-outer (see below)

I'm new to the boat buying game, and not sure how important a local broker is, versus using a US broker. If looking for a local one is not necessary, I'd appreciate hearing advice on that. I am well aware that there are a lot of brokers in the US who claim that they can add a lot of value to transactions half way around the world, but seems to me that local would have a lot of advantages.

Additionally, we've already spoke to one seller's broker about a boat that seemed to match all of our criteria. I came away from that discussion wondering if there was a seasoned sailor in Phuket or Langkawi who I might be able to pay for their time to spend less than an hour just looking at the boat to see if it's superficial condition matches the broker's description (proper survey would still be done later). In this case, the seller's broker said the next step would be to put down an offer, then earnest money, they fly all the way there for the survey. Without a local buyer's broker or some other sort of agent, this seems like a far from optimal process from my perspective as so many boats advertised condition do not match reality. But since I am in the US, it's not easy to check the boat out myself. If any sailors in SE Asia have ideas about solving this, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.
jsmbythebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 18:52   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Recommendations for broker/surveyor/help in Thailand/Malaysia

Most of the characters that speak English living that part of the world do not have the same moral standards of honesty, sharp dealings are the norm.

Especially the expats, as much or more so than the locals.

Totally opposite the poor rural subsistence locals with no English, salt of the earth honest as tge day is long. But they're not in the business of fleecing the foreign boating crowd, so irrelevant.

Bottom line: as much as possible yourself in person. Ideally live there a while, incognito, as a low-income English teacher or something living on a derelict hull, in other words not a mark. Get a feel for the scene, build some honest relationships, learn who the sharks are.

To be honest buying direct from a fellow expat owner would really be the way to go IMO, only hire technical talent by the hour, no commissions
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 11:26   #3

Boat: Catana 42

Thanks for the headsup on that.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to go over and get established, but wish I could. Definitely understand the advice to be there in person as much as possible.

Hoping to find buyersbrokers/surveryors through the CF community who at least have some recommendations behind them.

Cheers.
jsmbythebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 13:30   #4

jsmbythebay

I am in the exact same position. Retiring next year an want to purchase in SEA area rather than sail there. If you make any contacts please pass them on and I will do the same.
cookietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:57   #5

Boat: Farr Maxi 78

Check this :
https://www.waterline-marine.com/
for survey and
Lee Marine - Thailand’s Leading Brokerage and New Yacht Dealership
for brokerage
Maxi 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 03:31   #6

Boat: Fountain Pajot, Helia 44 Evolution

The guys from Multihulls Solutions in Thailand (and Australia) are excellent.
Call Charles Robinson on +66611755729.
I have dealt with them personally and brought a 44' Cat through them. They go above and beyond the call of duty and will help you find a solution. Feel free to mention my name as a reference.
Old 08-11-2018, 20:46   #7

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookietx View Post
jsmbythebay

I am in the exact same position. Retiring next year an want to purchase in SEA area rather than sail there. If you make any contacts please pass them on and I will do the same.
Thailand has been my home base since 2009, I sold my W32 in Washington because I was only getting to it maybe once a year, I don't like going back to the States unless I have to, I'm buying another W32 in Thailand, directly from the owner, It's a nice one, and loaded, and no teak decks!as far as brokers go, Alan Giles at Boatshed is a good guy, google Boatshed Phuket, Paul Jackson with Yacht Brokers & Charters is in Langkawi, I was looking at one in Phuket, one in Langkawi, and one in Fiji, the one in Fiji was through Vining Marine Picton & Nelson Boat and Marine Brokers, they're in New Zealand, all three of these boats needed to much work and money for me so I passed, Yacht Hub is a good site, have mostly boats in Australia and New Zealand, If you haven't been in that part of the world, I would suggest you take some time and visit, keep a low profile, get a feel for it, I love SEA, but it's not for everybody, Good Luck
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 22:06   #8

Boat: Westsail 32

Should have mentioned that none of the three I was looking at were W32's, the one in Fiji is a Young Sun 35, great boat in my opinion, Bob Perry said same about this boat even though he does not claim it as his, it just needs a little more help than I wish to put, Fantastic spot to be though
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 04:51   #9

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Langkawai and Phuket were our "home" away from home since 2007 (AFAIR).

I can say that Alan Giles at Boatshed, was a decent fellow to deal with (bought dinky and OB, etc), but he closed up his shop at Yacht Haven, and last I recall sold all his stuff to Wayne at "Wayne's World." He may still broker boats, but I can't say. If you are spending time in Phuket and get to know Wayne, he often has a lead on boats for sale, and perhaps you could buy directly from an owner.

I'm going to suggest some of the lesser known avenues for purchase - rather than the Big Yacht boys.

In Langkawai, I suggest Mary at Langkawai Boat Sales and Service, they have had a wide array of boats available, and successful. They are located on Rebak Island. Also on Rebak you'd find SeaSpray Yachts. Mark and Rachael Robertson. Mark is a shipright and can do some "survey-like" appraising for you. Rachael has done some yacht sales as well.

Over at Telaga Harbor, A nice Frenchman (Mannu), does some boat brokering, and has a small care taking service and ships store. We really didn't deal with many of the brokers in town, but knew those I've mentioned personally, rather than professionally (as brokers).

I'd recommend a trip to the region. Thailand and Malaysia have very strict immigration rules, and don't trifle with over-stayers, so plan accordingly. Thailand is 30 days (there are other options as well (60+30) but take some preparation. Malaysia is 90 on arrival for US citizens.

Currently Laughing Buddha is in Yacht Haven awaiting pick up for trans-shipment.

Hope that is helpful. Good hunting.

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 04:54   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

I'll quickly add -- Langkawi is a Duty Free Port, and purchase there has a significant advantage - over Thailand, IMO. Things can be "arranged" no doubt.

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 04:47   #11

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmbythebay View Post
Hello.

New to the forum, so please forgive any faux pas.

We are looking to purchase a 40'ish catamaran for full-time regional cruising in SE Asia. We are living in San Francisco now.

There are a few boats that we are interested in that we found in Phuket/Langkawi, and I expect we will find some more in the next year (we plan to start sailing in June 2019).

I am trying to find in the Phuket/Langkawi area:
- A buyer's broker
- A surveyor
- A check-er-outer (see below)

I'm new to the boat buying game, and not sure how important a local broker is, versus using a US broker. If looking for a local one is not necessary, I'd appreciate hearing advice on that. I am well aware that there are a lot of brokers in the US who claim that they can add a lot of value to transactions half way around the world, but seems to me that local would have a lot of advantages.

Additionally, we've already spoke to one seller's broker about a boat that seemed to match all of our criteria. I came away from that discussion wondering if there was a seasoned sailor in Phuket or Langkawi who I might be able to pay for their time to spend less than an hour just looking at the boat to see if it's superficial condition matches the broker's description (proper survey would still be done later). In this case, the seller's broker said the next step would be to put down an offer, then earnest money, they fly all the way there for the survey. Without a local buyer's broker or some other sort of agent, this seems like a far from optimal process from my perspective as so many boats advertised condition do not match reality. But since I am in the US, it's not easy to check the boat out myself. If any sailors in SE Asia have ideas about solving this, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.
According your profile you own now a Catana 42.

Could you tell us which route you went and where you bought the boat? and did you find the desired brookers surveyors in SEA?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2020, 02:09   #12

Boat: Crowther 226
Send a message via Skype™ to xrudi

Please contact me about a catamaran 42 feet. A good retirement project in Malaysia Pulau Indah, near KL, I'm a boatbuilder and naval architect. The boat is build to GL standard in female molds, divinycell foam , vinylester,
xrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 07:47   #13

Dear all,

If you are looking for a surveyor in SE Asia I strongly recommend Anthony Gates.

He just saved me a boatload of cash. He condemned one of the most beautiful looking catamarans there are to be seen in Phuket. It is a gorgeous recently built 50ft production boat with a hidden flaw. It is only due to Anthony’s perception and astute professionalism that I became privy to this boat’s secrets. I have worked with other surveyors and I can hand on heart say that Anthony goes above and beyond. It is clear that Anthony is one of the busiest surveyors in SE Asia. It is also clear that the brokers respect him but also fear him. Truth be told, I had been worried that he was in cahoots with the brokers (the seller’s broker is one of the largest brokers in Asia). Yet what transpired during this sale process made clear that Anthony’s loyalties remain 100% with the client (buyer) and not the brokers.

After Anthony condemned the boat I was so thankful that I told him I would put this message onto cruisersforum. The next time I buy a boat I will be using his services (and I don’t even live in Thailand - I live in Japan). This is his company: ams-sea.com

I am not affiliated with Anthony. I have not even met him in person (our only communications were via email and phone, during these COVID times).

Good luck to all prospective buyers out there. It can be a dark world…

Jeremy
JeremyRWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 08:41   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Wow, what was wrong with the catamaran? Oh and what make was it?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 17:43   #15

Hi Pete,

If you don't mind, I won't get into the specifics of this boat. Suffice to say, numerous parties in Phuket are now aware that there is a serious structural flaw with this particular 50ft cat; surveyors, brokers, boat builders. I feel very sorry for the seller - assuming any reasonable buyer in SEA makes appropriate enquiries he/she will become aware of this boat's history and will give a pass on buying. IMHO the manufacturer should write a very large cheque to the seller because it screwed up the initial manufacture and added insult to injury by material failings in its repair process. Everyone has lost, the seller lost a significant amount of value, I lost my dream boat purchase, the brokers lost their commission, etc etc.

Anyway, the key point is that it is because of Anthony's diligence that all of this came to light.

Best regards,

Jeremy
JeremyRWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Malaysia, men, survey, surveyor, Thailand