Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40   #1

one big ship vs three little ones?

From what i understand, the price of a boat grows exponentially with its length for example:

A used jeanneau attalia 32" costs 19500 € and has a capacity of about 6 people.

3 used small sailboats ( 22 to 26 feet ) cost about 5000 € to 6000 € each with a total capacity of 6 or even more.

The boats will be used as liveaboard-cruisers by my family ( 6 people ) and most of the cruising will be done via sailing so engine failures/problems shouldn't be a problem and all the work/repairs will be done by me and helpers.

Right now i really like the idea of a "fleet" of small boats because of the feeling and simplicity.

So which of the two options would be cheaper in the long run ( insurance, diesel, paints, waxes etc. )?
theozxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
one big ship vs three little ones?

One boat, what also grow exponentially is interior volume.
I really don't know if it's exponential or not, but two feet often makes a big difference
Occasional Marina costs alone kill the fleet idea
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:40   #3

Re: one big ship vs three little ones?

ok but apart marina costs, which would be cheaper?
theozxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My guess is one larger.
Think of buying three sets of sails as opposed to one larger, or three bottom jobs, three engines to maintain, three of everything, yes smaller, but a whole lot more.
Plus the bigger boat is much faster and more sea kindly.

Is it cheaper to operate three smaller automobiles or one mini van? I think there is a correlation.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:50   #5

3 sets of standing rigging.
3 sets of running rigging
3 sets of fenders and lines
3 sets of sails
3 oil changes
3 sets of navigation equipment.
3 boats to bottom paint.

The smaller boat won't be 1/3 of the cost of the larger boat. This is a false economy. 3 smaller boats will cost more than one larger boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:51   #6

A54Pilot, you beat me to the submit. I was still drafting when you answered.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:51   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Plus it will take three crews to go anywhere as opposed to being able to break it up into much more relaxed watches like you could on one boat.
That is worth way more than you may think
Old 01-05-2017, 10:52   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
A54Pilot, you beat me to the submit. I was still drafting when you answered.

Then you must type really, really slow, cause I'm pretty much a one finger hunt and peck guy
Old 01-05-2017, 10:59   #9

Boat: Liberty 458

The simplicity of a fleet of small boats?

That's some strange logic.

When my wife and I decided to adopt the cruising lifestyle we had several must do rules.

One was that if we own a boat we want to live on it. Justifying having an expensive boat sitting in a marina unused for most of the year makes no sense.

We lived aboard in San Francisco for 3 years. We're now in the PNW. Just the savings in rent alone have more than paid for our updates and maintenance.

Once we start cruising full time next year the savings in rent end up paying for the boat over several years.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:26   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

How about marina berth costs?

You keep your fleet where? In the air? Or do you own a dock?

You asked an odd question, mate. Got me puzzled.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:36   #11

Are you trying to tell us that it is the" Privacy for you & your wife " you are seeking?????
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theozxz View Post
From what i understand, the price of a boat grows exponentially with its length for example:

3 used small sailboats ( 22 to 26 feet ) cost about 5000 € to 6000 € each with a total capacity of 6 or even more.

The boats will be used as liveaboard-cruisers by my family ( 6 people ) and most of the cruising will be done via sailing so engine failures/problems shouldn't be a problem and all the work/repairs will be done by me and helpers.

Right now i really like the idea of a "fleet" of small boats because of the feeling and simplicity.

So which of the two options would be cheaper in the long run ( insurance, diesel, paints, waxes etc. )?
I don't know if this counts... I have two boats. a 24' enjoyable slow boat and a 19' enjoyable fast boat. I have just decided to sell the 19'. Why? Double trouble, double insurance, double maintenance, double engine maintenance, double discussions, only one wife, only one trailer for two boats... always shuffling... Going back to one enjoyable. Everyone is happy...!
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:10   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theozxz View Post

Most ongoing fixed costs are "by the foot"...dock fees, haulout, survey, paint, winter storage...all "by the foot".

So instead of paying for 32 feet (one boat), you would pay for maybe 75 feet (3 boats). That is no saving.

However, it might be fun to have a fleet (finally someone to talk to on the VHF)...provided each group buys their own boat and pays their own costs. Or maybe have a big boat and one little boat as a "guest bedroom"?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 13:43   #14

Boat: Coast 30

I see that most of the money cost points have already been been covered. Does the (theozxz) value their time? Most of my sailing experience was either on small open day boats or full sized sail training tall ships with a professional crew. Over the years I have gone out on about five or six occasions for a few hours on other owners 23' to 28' foot cabin cruisers.

So my observed point is this, The performance of sailing dinghies are generally fast and lively sailing in any normal steady wind strengths above 5 knots.

But by comparison those little cruisers were slow. The hull volume to rig ratio must be the answer?. Because in nearly every case half an hour or so after leaving the marina a larger yacht over 40 feet would come out and sail right past us and go Horizon down; While we were still drifting around.

Surely this must be because the larger vessel carries a taller mast so that it can pick up some power from the upper air currents? and the additional displacement gives it the buoyancy to carry a hull to sail area ratio closer in scale to the sailing dinghy?

Thus if they want to get to a specific location in a timely fashion under sail? This would make one big yacht (If they can afford it?) better than buying even one small one: let alone three?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 22:37   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Volume increases as the cube of the length ratio. One 44 ft LOA equals EIGHT 22 ft LOA boats.

I have 45 ft, 27 ft and 14 ft boats. All have their uses but I only live aboard the 45 footer.

On the other hand, if you want cheap, buy a 14 ft sailing dinghy and some camping gear... 8^)
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost, cruising, Family sailing, live-aboard, long term cruising, maintenance, off grid, off the grid, price, sailing