Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 03:38   #1

pirate Considering Sailing Europe (Not sure where)

Hi, my partner and I are thinking about embarking on a small sailing adventure for a week or two next August/September. I'm going to be doing my yachmasters in the coming weeks and will be sailing weekends on the run up.

1) Any ideal passages/trips for the first timers in Europe?
2) Any hire companies we should be looking out for? Any you would recommend using?
3) Also welcoming tips!
saltyjournals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 03:53   #2

Re: Considering Sailing Europe (Not sure where)

First of all you have to choose if it wil on August or on September.

Some place wonderful on September are awful in August (due to the crowding),
but if you will choose August there are also beautiful places not too much crowed.
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 03:54   #3

Ok well the simple answer here is the last week of August
Old 26-09-2019, 04:19   #4

Ok, second question,
what kind of sailing do you have in mind?
i.e:
- much night at anchor e very few at the marina, or vice versa?
- how many hours of sailng each day about?
- just sailing and isolated bays, or some place to visit at land, or both?
- quiet weather forecasts and light wind, or fresh/strong breeze (at least for most part of the sailing, and not for sure, we are talking about weather)?
- etc.

Sorry for the questions, but Med is so much wide and with so much different places to see, so without more info the list of places should be too much long.
Old 26-09-2019, 04:25   #5

Well yep...
---
- Id like to have some easy(ish) entrances without major hazards/being super busy
- be nice to have a couple of longer sails i.e. a day max and overnight somewhere on the way to the next "destination"
- i'm open to bays and destinations, we both love kitesurfing/spearfishing/hanging out so ok with it being remote
- as above i guess... some wind would be nice but its also our first proper trip so dont want to take on something too big

As for other specifics and locations islands and interesting coastlines seem nice. Kind of always imagined italy, spain, portugal (but not sure how technical the sailing would be) I have heard the south coast of Italy could get hairy weather wise without much notice.
Old 26-09-2019, 04:42   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If you want hot, then the med. If you want somewhere different, remote and beautiful were the natives speak your language

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/active/sailing/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 04:55   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Portugal isn’t really cruising territory. The anchorages are mostly in estuaries so the water is a nasty green colour. You’ve also got a 3m plus tide. The beaches are beautiful though.

The Balearics are beautiful but very crowded, though it’s rarely a problem. It’s a full days sail between the island, and another day the mainland.

Sardinia is fantastic. There’s everything you might want there, especially with trips to corsica too. It does get windy towards the end of summer though.

Greece probably has everything you want but you certainly need to be able to adapt to the Greek way of doing things. Need to fill up with water. Ok, call a guy who knows a guy, whose brothers son will bring the water truck.

My tip would be a tour of Malta, eastern Sicily taking in Siracusa, Taomina, and up and around all of the Aoelon islands. That way you get ancient towns and villages in. Party beaches, remote beaches, cliff, volcanoes, and fantastic Italian food. You get a little challenge in the Messina strait.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:21   #8

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

I can thoroughly recommend the North and West Coast of Brittany (France). I did a 2.5 week passage there from UK in August this year taking in 11 different ports and anchorages (including the Channel Islands).

Brittany has 82 marinas - all reasonably priced - along its 1,780 mile coast. There are also some great anchorages and sweet towns - some fortified and also lovely islands. The North Coast looks scary on the charts but is well buoyed and nothing like as challenging as it looks. The weather can be a little changeable. It tends to get better the further south you go.

I'm not sure whether you are sailing in your own boat or looking to charter. If the latter I don't know who charters there, but someone ought to.

The Association des ports de plaissance de Bretagne (APPB) produces a useful small guide and an online version at L'Association des Ports de Plaisance de Bretagne : le site web .

Pm me with an email address and I can send you more information if you need it.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:30   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to aguenther

Hi,

I am German and know the Mediterranean a bit. My favourite is Italy in September, when the holidays are over, the sea is warm and the air clear. Italy because of the food, culture and mind of people. My most favourite area is northeast coast of Sardegna, the Maddalena Archipelago with its beautiful islands an the Southeast of Corsica with Port Vecchio and beautiful Bonifaccio. There are lot of charercompanies, f.e. Sunsail. Just enjoy
aguenther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:39   #10

My list:

Norway
West coast of Scotland
Brittany
Galicia
The Algavre
Lanzarote (ok, that's Africa...)
Sardinia
Croatia
Ionian and Agean Greece
Turkey (right, arrived to Asia)
Old 26-09-2019, 09:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If you want hot, then the med. If you want somewhere different, remote and beautiful were the natives speak your language

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/active/sailing/
Are you sure ?
Old 26-09-2019, 09:45   #12

Ok last question
One week or two?

Anyway,
one week sail:
- Egadi Islands (Sicily - Italy)
- Eolien Islands (Sicily - Italy)
- (1)French riviera (France) [From Mentone to St. Tropez, a lot of good marinas where to start with lot of charter companies]
- (1)Provence* (France) [Hyeres is a very good place where to start, a lot of charter companies, good marina]
(1)Better both with a two weeks sail

two weeks sail
- (2)North Sardinia* [Italy]/South Corse* [France]
(2)You can do it in one week, but better a two weeks sail (too many wonderful places)
- Baleari island (Spain) [You can choose just two of them (Maiorca/Minorca or Ibiza/Formentera) for a one week sail]
- Ionic Island (Greece)
- Croatia
- Cyclades islands(Greece)*

* These maybe are too much windy for a first sail.

But as I said Med is so wide that others could suggest you many other places.
Old 26-09-2019, 09:47   #13

Boat: Discovery 50

In 1 or 2 weeks you will barely scratch the surface of most countries. I would suggest Croatia - Split down to Dubrovnik, or the Cyclades Islands in Greece but it can get windy in the latter.
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:57   #14

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Sorry, but I have rarely seen so much bad advice in a thread. Brittany: spend your holiday on studying tide tables and atlasses. 6 knt tides. Not for beginners.
Malta etc.: charter implies a round trip. Horrible marinas north of Syracuse.
Sardinia is indeed fantastic, but even achoring in open bay often means obligatory bouy with electricity. Beautiful Corsica, especially Bonifacio: horribly crowded. Long way back.

If you want to relax and not jeapordise your relationship, the Ionian is your best bet. Easy distances, easy to plot a circular course without repetitions, plenty of charter bases and companies. I spend 5-6 months there (since 2015), and do not share the comment about strange Greek ways. Easy to get water, often for free supplied by municipalities. Does it matter that it is also the cheapest - flights, marinas and municipal docks, food..?
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 10:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by beirutsailor View Post
Sorry, but I have rarely seen so much bad advice in a thread. Brittany: spend your holiday on studying tide tables and atlasses. 6 knt tides. Not for beginners.
Malta etc.: charter implies a round trip. Horrible marinas north of Syracuse.
Sardinia is indeed fantastic, but even achoring in open bay often means obligatory bouy with electricity. Beautiful Corsica, especially Bonifacio: horribly crowded. Long way back.

If you want to relax and not jeapordise your relationship, the Ionian is your best bet. Easy distances, easy to plot a circular course without repetitions, plenty of charter bases and companies. I spend 5-6 months there (since 2015), and do not share the comment about strange Greek ways. Easy to get water, often for free supplied by municipalities. Does it matter that it is also the cheapest - flights, marinas and municipal docks, food..?

Realy???
I've been sailing in Sardinia for years, 3/4 months a year and I never used a bouy in open bays, always on my anchor.
Last week of august and mostly the first of September Corsica is absolutely livable

Tags
Europe, local information, passage info: to & from, rope, safe anchorages, sail, sailing