Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 15:59   #1

Typical Atlantic crossing times

I know that there can be a big variation between Atlantic crossings, especially with variable weather. I just want to see what a typical crossing could be with your typical 40-43 foot cat.

The main reason I'm interested is that I'm planning on working from the boat, and satellite internet isn't really practical (yet).

I've seen crossings in the 18-21 day range, which would mean a leave of absence. That said, am I reading these 2011 ARC results correctly? Down in the multihull section is a pair of Lagoon 420s that made the crossing in 9 1/2 days.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong or maybe the winds were crazy in 2011. My question is: is a sub 2-week crossing possible, assuming you pick a good time of the season (and the winds are in your favor)?
Foozinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Typical Atlantic crossing times

That's a 12.5kt average.. its possible I guess.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:21   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Typical Atlantic crossing times

I think 3 weeks is about average. I think the distribution is skewed towards shorter times though.

Mind Madeira to Barbadoss is way a different distance than Mindelho to Barbados (e.g.) and so the times will vary too, respectively.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 18:02   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's a 12.5kt average.. its possible I guess.
So is me marrying a model, not very likely though
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 18:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
So is me marrying a model, not very likely though
Hahaha nice one

I'd say a rough estimate of 100-150 miles per 24 hr period is a good conservative place to think about and start. If you have good settled trades sure you can go faster but would you and your crew do that or reef down for the night?
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 18:43   #6

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozinator View Post
I know that there can be a big variation between Atlantic crossings, especially with variable weather. I just want to see what a typical crossing could be with your typical 40-43 foot cat.

The main reason I'm interested is that I'm planning on working from the boat, and satellite internet isn't really practical (yet).

I've seen crossings in the 18-21 day range, which would mean a leave of absence. That said, am I reading these 2011 ARC results correctly? Down in the multihull section is a pair of Lagoon 420s that made the crossing in 9 1/2 days.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong
or maybe the winds were crazy in 2011. My question is: is a sub 2-week crossing possible, assuming you pick a good time of the season (and the winds are in your favor)?
Yes, you are reading it wrong. What you are looking at is date where they arrived. They only give on that list the corrected time. For finding the real time you will have to find the day they departed and count the time till the day they arrived.

9 days and a half is an impossible time for a Lagoon, by a huge margin. Just to give you an idea the record time on the ARC was beaten this year by Rambler, a 88ft racing monohull that took 8 days and 6 hours.

This year you had a very well sailed Outremer 5X (60ft) skippered by a top racing sailor and he took about 13 days and 2 hours to make the passage.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 01:07   #7

Quote:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong or maybe the winds were crazy in 2011. My question is: is a sub 2-week crossing possible, assuming you pick a good time of the season (and the winds are in your favor)?
Is a sub 2-week crossing possible for a typical 40-43 foot cruising cat?
No.
Is a sub 2-week crossing possible for a 40-43 foot racing cat?
Yes.
Is a sub 2-week crossing possible for any size cruising cat?
Yes.
From your link:
Phaedo Gunboat 66 start time 20.11 12:30 finish time 2.12. 05:15:17
which result 280.7547 hours of passage time for 2680 nautical mile nominal distance with an average speed 9.5457 knots.
Stadium Barreau 71 also managed to make sub 14 day passage time.

Is a sub 2-week crossing possible for any 40-43 foot cruising cat?
Probably, but not done in ARC 2011.
Just Another Sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 01:13   #8

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:

and you blogging in CF for $3 per hour, instead of trimming sail. No way even with ORANGE 100 ft racing cat.

Get better work that does not need large bandwidth first.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 02:22   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
and you blogging in CF for $3 per hour, instead of trimming sail. No way even with ORANGE 100 ft racing cat.

Get better work that does not need large bandwidth first.
I interpreted the op's question to indicate that he did not intend to work while crossing, rather he wanted to know if he could cross in the span of two weeks (normal vacation) or if it would be longer (requiring a leave of absence).
Old 14-12-2016, 03:58   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes, you are reading it wrong. What you are looking at is date where they arrived. They only give on that list the corrected time. For finding the real time you will have to find the day they departed and count the time till the day they arrived.

9 days and a half is an impossible time for a Lagoon, by a huge margin. Just to give you an idea the record time on the ARC was beaten this year by Rambler, a 88ft racing monohull that took 8 days and 6 hours.

Actually there is all the information you need there to work out their actual times.

Just divide the "Corrected Time" (days/hours:minutes:seconds) by the TCF (Time Correction Factor).

So
206 Zéro STRESS Lagoon 420 FRA 0.983 9/ 10:36:24 61.00 22/11:46:18 15

Finished on 9 Dec at 10:36:24.

They had a "corrected time" of 22 days, 11 hours, 46 minutes and 18 seconds with a TCF of 0.983, so their actual time was 22 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes and 23 seconds

SImilarly
204 Otto Marzo Lagoon 420 ITA 0.983 9/ 13:27:16 95.00 24/16:42:15 21

had an actual time of 25 days, 2 hours, 57 minutes and 16 seconds
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 05:33   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Outremer 49 with owners and broker on board blogged at 13.5 days with motoring only at the end of the trip.

An outremer 45 reported 17 days Lanzarote to St Marteen

Richard woods took 18 days on his 10 metre eclipse (Tenerife to Barbados)

Couple of blokes took 18 days on a 20 foot beach cat.

A 9 metre catalac reported 29 days

And for the record, the record is 3 days 15Hrs Crewed and 5 days 2 hours solo, on a multi of course
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 06:01   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
And for the record, the record is 3 days 15Hrs Crewed
Good grief, thats 87 hours to do 2800 miles your talking QE2 speeds.

Foozinator, which way are you thinking of crossing the Atlantic? E-W or W-E?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 07:06   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

29 days for the Catalac. Was it pulling a trailer along?
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 08:12   #14

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Sa View Post
Is a sub 2-week crossing possible for a typical 40-43 foot cruising cat?
No.
Is a sub 2-week crossing possible for a 40-43 foot racing cat?
Yes.
Is a sub 2-week crossing possible for any size cruising cat?
Yes.
From your link:
Phaedo Gunboat 66 start time 20.11 12:30 finish time 2.12. 05:15:17
which result 280.7547 hours of passage time for 2680 nautical mile nominal distance with an average speed 9.5457 knots.
Stadium Barreau 71 also managed to make sub 14 day passage time.

Is a sub 2-week crossing possible for any 40-43 foot cruising cat?
Probably, but not done in ARC 2011.
I guess you answer the question but complicated it with all those hours, The Gunboat 66 made it in 11 days an 17 hours. That ARC was a particularly fast one, with plenty of wind and that Gunboat 66 was one used for racing (Phaedo), was sailed on the ARC by his racing skipper.

That makes a good reference in what regards a big fast performance cat can do on the ARC.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 08:18   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

St. John's NF to west coast of Ireland is one thing; New York City to Southampton another. Define your terms better to get the benefit of experience.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, cal