Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 18:21   #1

Ketch for liveable cruiser

Planning on packing it all in and becoming a full time cruiser
starting in the chessapeke area and heading south to the islands
Me and the wife are in our fiftys so thought the ketch would be a good comprimise for sail plan and managment along with the nice layout inside
Im intrested in a well kept irwin 41 cc but am a little afraid of some of the lack of confidence in the builders quality as a blue water boat.
Not planning on taking a lot of risks so will plan weather in advance

Not looking to create a ford verse chevy debate i just dont have much experience with the type and make of boat
I have been on the boat and was impresseed with the condition and upkeep of the vessel
so just looking for some history anyone might have'
thanks in advance
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 18:53   #2

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: ketch for liveable cruiser

Definately no cutters for you ?? Easier to furl the genoa and simply put a tuck or two into the main. No heavy main to handle and more room in the cockpit. Just a suggestion.
Furling a big sail instead of handling a main. Furling mains notwithstanding.
Don't mean to go GM v's Ford debate.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 20:44   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
Lesson number one; you can minimize weather risks with routing and forecasts but you'd better be prepared for the worst Mother Nature can throw your way.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 20:52   #4

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Lesson number one; you can minimize weather risks with routing and forecasts but you'd better be prepared for the worst Mother Nature can throw your way.
The best laid plans of mice & men 'gang aftly'.
Old 11-12-2016, 20:56   #5

GANG AFT AGLEY.
Old 11-12-2016, 21:11   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Sounds good when you say it fast, Jim, but the truth is that very, very few recreational boats are prepared for even moderately bad weather, let alone the worst. For the casual and coastal sailor, such a degree of preparedness is perhaps overkill and over spend... at least in my opinion.

Jim
Old 11-12-2016, 21:29   #7

Boat: In Between Boats

For the area mentioned, your choices are vast. Seriously, a Catalina 30 would be plentty.

Draft will be something you will think about a lot about, as these areas are shallow. After that, it needs to meet YOUR needs for style and comfort. Irwins have traveled far and wide - so if you like it ignore the armchair sailors.

You've already figured out the first part - a solid, well maintained boat.

��
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 21:56   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
...a well kept irwin 41 cc but am a little afraid of some of the lack of confidence in the builders quality as a blue water boat.
I don't want to offend Irwin owners but quality wise, you can probably do better. Even if you have to fork over a few more bucks than you really want to...you'll be happier in the long run to have peace of mind and something that is more marketable if you ever sell in the future.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:26   #9

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Hi ,i taked the same desition that you and finally i bought a Perry 47 .Its an old boat ,2 world trip without problem .You don't going to be the winner of a race but enough spacefor all and its easy to sail and the most important is too strong
Regards
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:36   #10

Boat: Brewer 12.8, 42'

Look at s Ted Brewer designed Whitby 42. Solid go anywhere ketch rigged cruiser with tons of room. I know of at least one for sale in the Chesapeake which has been lovingly maintained
jcdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:37   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sounds good when you say it fast, Jim, but the truth is that very, very few recreational boats are prepared for even moderately bad weather, let alone the worst. For the casual and coastal sailor, such a degree of preparedness is perhaps overkill and over spend... at least in my opinion.

Jim
When he mentioned "heading south to the islands" it became apparent that he was no longer a coastal sailor, in my opinion. I know you can hop from the east coast of Florida to the Bahamas but even fully crewed racers have fallen prey to the "Gulf Stream busters" so an inexperienced sailor should not take the passage lightly.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:01   #12

Nothing wrong with a ketch, my preference is a cutter though, at least in your 40 ft size range.
Not a big fan of Irwins, but for an island trip and live aboard, many boats will suffice.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:12   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

having sailed sloops, cutters, and ketches, i much prefer the ketch as a sola sailing vessel.
easy to handle--i only deal with rollered genoa and 14 ft boom mounted mizzen--can reef either from cockpit, if wind slows to under 30 kts, i can use my smaller than necessary chikkinsailor fully battened mainsail. no i donot race---i merely sail and enjoy nonstressed sailing.
and i understand santa has a SPINNAKER WITH SOCK for me!!!! i can SAIL whooot!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~ once my repairs are complete i can again go for leaky teaky yacht club and tavern speed record. last attempt failed by 0.1 mph, using only reeefed mizzen and reefed genoa in 60+kts chubasco, i got 8.4 kts
with the installation of my new mizzen mast i will include a spare halyard for a spinnaker or other sail as needed (yankee or other) from mizzenmast-- as well as one more halyard at mainmast. (potentially 2 headsails plus spinnaker)
so much flexibility with the smaller split rig a ketch offers.
directional stability--can trim sails to keep a course, smaller to handle, split rig for stability and comfort in heavy weather. definitely a plus. i can cook in comfort when i am in heavy weather.
so many advantages in a cruising situation of a ketch rig over a sloop or cutter.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 13:16   #14

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Wife and I did live aboard in San Diego (no bad wx) and Caribbean for two years (4 hurricanes on our watch) and now up in Chesapeake Bay area on our Cal 46-3 ketch. Roomy, stout, great live-aboard. I put EVERYTHING you could want on it (Chartplotters (2) , radar, depth (2), scanning sonar, marine & ham SSB, gen, inverter, 1000 ah AMG batteries,... We just happen to be coming to end of our cruising term (I'm 70) and just starting to consider finding another eager cruising couple to help get started with a sturdy/ turn-key boat. email me is at all interested (luff.bob@gmail.com). Regardless, best wishes on following your dream!
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 13:33   #15

Boat: MacGregor 26X
Re: Ketch for liveable cruiser

Oops, wrong thread...
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, ketch