Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 18:51   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia
Sealant for a Rubber Exhaust Through-Hull

Hey Everyone,

We have a Vetus rubber exhaust through-hull for the genset exhaust on our boat. This has pretty much always leaked.

While we were hauled out recently, I tried to re-seal it with 3M 4200 based on advice from Vetus. Unfortunately, it is still leaking and the water appears to be coming in between the sealant and the rubber.

Does anyone know which sealant will bond with rubber? I've tried to look at the technical specs of just about all of them and can't seem to find one that has rubber listed as a bondable material.

Thanks!

David
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 16:44   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Sealant for a Rubber Exhaust Through-Hull

Assuming this is above the waterline on a fiberglass boat (?) I would suggest to replace this with a short piece of fiberglass pipe and epoxy that through the hull. You can buy this as marine diesel exhaust parts; I believe Centek is one brand available in the US. You can also make it yourself. On the inside you simply double-clamp the exhaust hose on and on the outside you can clamp a rubber flapper on.

In case of steel or aluminum construction: do the same with stainless or aluminium pipe.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 17:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryHorizons View Post

Does anyone know which sealant will bond with rubber? I've tried to look at the technical specs of just about all of them and can't seem to find one that has rubber listed as a bondable material.

Thanks!

David
Use High temp RVT silicone avialible at any auto parts store. Permatex is one brand, can get it in black red and blue. Will bond to most anything, pain in the ass to clean up, once cured paint and other things will not stick to it so tape the exterior thru hull well.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 18:21   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ha, just down the dock from you.

if you decide to go the try another sealant route, then Abernathy's in Cuatro Altos has a pretty good selection. Hardware/autoparts stores in the same area should have RTV.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 05:22   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Assuming this is the thru-hull you have.....

It's puzzling that you are having trouble sealing it. I have (3) of these with no leaks, one I installed and sealed with 5200 and it has never leaked.

It makes me wonder if it has an internal crack in the rubber that you can't see and the "leak" is really exhaust water leaking back inside.

?? ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRC60R.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	119664  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:01   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Many thanks for the replies everyone and yes, I am trying to bond this through-hull to a fiberglass boat.

Someone on our blog suggested I try Boat Life LifeSeal (partly silicone based) as they had successfully used it on the same Vetus through-hull. Fortunately, we have some friends on our way to visit us in Panama and they can bring some down for us. I'm a bit hesitant to use 5200 since I haven't had luck with 4200 and my understanding is 5200 is just a much stronger polyurethane sealant. So hopefully something a bit different will work.

Thanks again for the help!

belizesailor - when I can stop working on projects, I'll come on over and say hi!
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 05:04   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ha, just down the dock from you.

if you decide to go the try another sealant route, then Abernathy's in Cuatro Altos has a pretty good selection. Hardware/autoparts stores in the same area should have RTV.

Sounds like you all are in Shelter Bay? We're here as well, on the hard right next to the big hangar building... working on the boat again!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 15:46   #8

Boat: Max Cruise Marine, Twin Hybrid Electric, 44SC

Would you be able to post a few pics? Preferably one showing the active leak.
P-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, hull, sealant